Home Sports Talk

2010 daily Red Sox Trivia

KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
I consider myself a Red Sox junkie. Since my entire family has known this for many years it was only fitting that one of the gifts I got for christmas was a Red Sox trivia calendar. As I read through the first few days to catch up to the present there were a bunch of things I didn't know. Yes some of it is junk, but either way I'm going to post what I read every day this year so that the other members of the Red Sox Nation can enjoy the history of our team. Enjoy!

Comments

• KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Jan 1:

Wade Boggs led the American League in batting average in every season between 1983 and 1988 except for 1984 when Don Mattingly won the batting title with a .343 avg.

• I got a Braves one from Santa Claus. Pretty cool stuff.
    Jan 2/3:

In 1957, Red Sox slugger Ted Williams became the first American League player to hit three homers in a game twice in the same season.

(Side note: This pic denotes WILLIAMS, FIRST at BAT, Holy Cross April 1939 - Baseball great Ted Williams at Fitton Field, Holy Cross College in Worcester, Massachusetts taken on April 14, 1939. According to popular historical information, the occasion was a pre-season exhibition game which turned out to be rookie Williams first day in a Boston Red Sox uniform in the team's home territory. In his first time at bat, shown here, Ted Williams belted in a Grandslam homerun, driving in three famous team mates and future hall of famers Jimmie Foxx, Bobby Doerr and Joe Cronin.
    Jan 4:

Carney Lansford led the American League in batting average in 1981 with a .336 avg.

Jan 5:

The first pitcher to post a pair of two-home run games in a single season was Red Sox pitcher Wes Ferrell in 1934.

Jan 6:

Red Sox Hall of Famer Rick Ferrell attended college at Guilford College in Greensboro, NC.

Jan 7:

Boston's inagural American League game resulted in a 10-6 loss to Baltimore on April 26, 1901.
    Jan 8:

Q: What is the given first name of Spike Owen, infielder for the 1986 American League Champions, the Red Sox?

A: Spike

(I gotta admit that this was pretty stupid.)

Jan 9/10:

In 1957, third baseman Frank Malzone became the first member of the Red Sox to win a Gold Glove Award.

Jan 11:

The first Red Sox player to lead the American League in batting average was Jimmie Foxx, who hit .349 in 1938.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My addition...

Dwight Evans is the first to hit the first pitch in the first game of the season (all teams included) for a home run. 04-07-1986
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Wade Boggs once drank 65 beers on a cross country flight.

He also wanted his HOF bust to wear a Medical Hair Restoration hat
    Jan 12:

In 1930, Red Sox center fielder Tom Oliver struck out just 25 times, American League record for the fewest by a rookie with at least 150 games played.

Jan 13:

Q: Which Red Sox player led the American League in home runs in 1965?

A: Tony Conigliaro with 32
  • Fenway Park officially opened its gates on Opening Day, 1912. What other historic park was commissioned on the same day in 1912?

TIGER STADIUM

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I consider myself a Red Sox junkie. Since my entire family has known this for many years it was only fitting that one of the gifts I got for christmas was a Red Sox trivia calendar. As I read through the first few days to catch up to the present there were a bunch of things I didn't know. Yes some of it is junk, but either way I'm going to post what I read every day this year so that the other members of the Red Sox Nation can enjoy the history of our team. Enjoy! >>

I got one of those calendars too!
    Fenway Park is the only park in MLB that has a unique ground rule. What is the rule and what has to happen for the rule to be in play?

<< <i>Fenway Park is the only park in MLB that has a unique ground rule. What is the rule and what has to happen for the rule to be in play? >>

this one?

A ball striking the top of the scoreboard in left field in the ladder below top of wall and bounding out of the park is two bases
    Close, but not Monstah tix...

The ladder, which was used to access the long ago screen to retrieve balls, is still there and in play. If a batter hits a ball that strikes the ladder, it is a ground rule triple. The ladder, BTW, begins 13 feet from the field.

Odd that after all these games and all that I've watched, I don't recall seeing the ladder get hit to award the triple.

You get one Dunkin' Donut's seat in the top row, in mid April. image
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my trivia:

Calvin Schrialdi blew Game 6 in 1986, not Bill Buckner. image

<< <i>Close, but not Monstah tix...

The ladder, which was used to access the long ago screen to retrieve balls, is still there and in play. If a batter hits a ball that strikes the ladder, it is a ground rule triple. The ladder, BTW, begins 13 feet from the field.

Odd that after all these games and all that I've watched, I don't recall seeing the ladder get hit to award the triple.

You get one Dunkin' Donut's seat in the top row, in mid April. image >>

where's that in the ground rules? I know someone said it during the NHL Winter Classic, but that doesn't make it true. Redsox.com contains a link to the ground rules and it is not in there. If a ball hits the ladder and bounds back onto the field, it's in play. Nothing in the ground rules about the ladder except what I wrote.

<< <i>Here's my trivia:

Calvin Schrialdi blew Game 6 in 1986, not Bill Buckner. image >>

and we all know Bucky Dent's middle name!

• << <i>

<< <i>Here's my trivia:

Calvin Schrialdi blew Game 6 in 1986, not Bill Buckner. image >>

and we all know Bucky Dent's middle name! >>

Does it begin with an F? Does it contain 7 letters? Is it Frazier?
    Hey Barn...so says the Baseball Almanac.
    What former Atlanta Braves pitcher who became a bench coach for the Red Sox, performed a feat that can easily be said will never be broken? Name, feat and date.

<< <i>Hey Barn...so says the Baseball Almanac. >>

seems to me that BA is wrong. It would not make any sense for a ball that hits the ladder and stays in the park to be a triple and a ball that hits the ladder and goes out of the park to be a double.
    Jan 14:

The American League record for most batters faced by a single pitcher in one inning is 16, held by three pitchers, each of whom was with the Red Sox:

Merle Adkins- July 8, 1902 6th inning

Lefty O'Doul- July 7, 1923 6th inning

Howard Ehmke- September 28, 1923 6th inning

<< <i>What former Atlanta Braves pitcher who became a bench coach for the Red Sox, performed a feat that can easily be said will never be broken? Name, feat and date. >>

Not sure on this although Perkdog's Perkies come to mind... image

<< <i>What former Atlanta Braves pitcher who became a bench coach for the Red Sox, performed a feat that can easily be said will never be broken? Name, feat and date. >>

I guess it is possible, but unlikely:

Tony Cloninger hit two grand slams and drove another run in on a single for a nine-RBI game on July 3, 1966 (vs. SF Giants). He was a coach for the Red Sox 2002-2003
    Barndog is correct.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if this is included in your calendar, but I pulled this from Wikipedia and it's also included in the 1991 book The Baseball Hall of Shame's Warped Record Book:

Playing against the Boston Red Sox on July 17, 1990, the Minnesota Twins became the first (and to date the only) team in baseball history to turn two triple plays in the same game. Despite their defensive heroics, the Twins lost the game 1-0.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
    Sorry I havn't updated in a while. I had a long weekend at work, and took advantage by going to the slopes. So time to play catch up.
    Jan 15:

Bobby Doerr was considered to be the Red Sox "Silent Captain" by Ted Williams.

(On a side note: This view shows Red Sox "Rookie" Ted Williams with his good friend Bobby Doerr on William's FIRST day in the home state, just before Ted's FIRST time at bat (pictured below) on April 14, 1939. It is very possible that this could also be Ted Williams FIRST photo in Red Sox uniform. Picture was made at Fitton Field, College of the Holy Cross)
  • 2010 Red Sox Trivia: Youk will lead the team in Home Runs with 22!
    Jan 16 / 17:

Luis Aparicio and Lou Boudreau both ended their Hall of Fame careers as members of the Red Sox.

imageimage
    Jan 18:

Q: Which Red Sox pitcher who won Game 4 of the 2004 World Series wore uniform #32?

A: Derek Lowe
    Jan 19:

On Ocober 2, 1978, the Red Sox hosted the New York Yankees in the second playoff game in American League history, a 5-4 loss as Bucky F***ing Dent hit his (in)famous 7th inning 3-run home run.

(As much as I don't want to post a pic of this miserable event, here it isimage

Jan 20:

Q: How many Cy Young Awards did Pedro Martinez win with the Red Sox?

A: 2 1999 & 2000 (Should have won it in 2001 as well)
    Jan 21:

The last American League player to hit three bases-loaded triples in a single season was Jackie Jensen, who did so in 1956.

Jan 22:

Q: Who holds the Red Sox club record for most career doubles?

A: Carl Yastrzemski (626)
  • ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Great pics and fun questions. Thanks, Chief.
    Brett
    JAN 23/24:

No one has walked more times for the Red Sox than Ted Williams with 2,021.

JAN 25:

Q: How many Cy Young Awards did Roger Clemens win with the Red Sox in the 1990's?

A: Just 1 (1991)
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Rocket:

Pre-Juice:
    1995 32 BOS AL 10 5 .667 4.18
    1996 33 BOS AL 10 13 .435 3.63

Post-Juice:
    1997 34 TOR AL 21 7 .750 2.05
    1998 35 TOR AL 20 6 .769 2.65

AND, people forget (the trivia) is the Red Sox offered Clemems $24 million for 4 years -- pretty good money at the time for a .500 or so pitcher with a 3.9 ERA.

What people remember is the Red Sox "chasing away" Clemens -- hell, with his pitiful 1996 year, they were rewarding him for past performance with that contract offer.
    Jan 26:

When Red Sox center fielder Fred Lynn hit 47 doubles in 1975, he set an American League record for doubles in a season by a rookie.

Jan 27:

Q: Who was the general manager of the Red Sox when they went to the world series in 1975?

A: Dick O'Connell
    Jan 28:

On April 23, 1939, Philadelphia Athletics pitcher Bud Thomas surrendered the first Major League home run ever hit by Red Sox legend Ted Williams.

Jan 29:

Q: Who was the first Red Sox player to hit 20 or more home runs in a single season?

A: Babe Ruth who hit 29 in 1919
    Jan 30/31:

In 1971, Luis Aparicio became the first player born in Venezuela to play for the Red Sox.