Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone seen the 1988 America In Space 3-inch 12-ounce gold medal produced by US Mint?

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
I would love to find out what happened to them, if any have come to market recently.

Comments

• I havent seen any of the 12 ounce around at all. Ive seen the silvers here and there but no gold. Didnt even know they were made in gold. Must be tough to find.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the fineness of this medal?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What was the fineness of this medal? >>

========================================
    GOLD
    One Troy Pound, 90% pure gold (.900 fine)

Struck up to five times. 1,300 tons of striking pressure.
    Bears the official "P" mint mark of the Philadelphia Mint.

Maximum Authorized Mintage was to be = 750 pieces.
    Actual Mintage was = 38

Initial Offer Price = $8950 + $16 S&H

Sidenote: SILVER
    SILVER
    One Troy Pound

Bears the official "P" mint mark of the Philadelphia Mint.

Maximum Authorized Mintage was to be = 10,000 pieces.
    Actual Mintage was = 3,700

Initial Offer Price = $325 + $9 S&H

• GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Okay, this sounds fun and interesting!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not seen it in hand.
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    This set came out in 1988, however, the gold medal is only around 1/4 oz. I have one in a set and one graded by NGC as a MS70.

There was a silver and bronze medal measuring 1.5 inches in diameter offered in the set.

There is one being offered in the "Bay" here. http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Young-Astronaut-Medal-Program-America-in-Space_W0QQitemZ230425192224QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item35a6696720

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    hmmmm, any more info on this? 12 oz gold medal is massive, would love to see some pics!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hmmmm, any more info on this? 12 oz gold medal is massive, would love to see some pics!! >>

Just guessing, since only 38 - 12 oz gold medals were minted, I would bet that most are in the collections of former astronauts. I would like to see a picture too!

To me, the 6 ounce silver (which was only available in a VIP set) and had a mintage of only 1,075 with an issue price of $199.50 would be a pretty good collector medal.

Best Of Luck!

• I have a 1988 America in Space 3-inch 12-ounce silver medal for sale on eBay. I'm a pharmacist in the Chicago area and work at Our Lady of The Resurrection Medical Center. I can be reached at the following number: 847-933-9498.
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I dont know how to do the linky thing ,as I can barely run the mouse but the item number is 140470260349
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I dont know how to do the linky thing ,as I can barely run the mouse but the item number is 140470260349 >>

link
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • I also have 2 JM 100 oz silver bars that I'd like to sell. Being a newbie this may not be the correct forum so can someone direct me to the right place. How bout you Chumley.
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Post in the Buy sell trade forum - if you click on the dragbox in the top right corner you can find it there.

In the future do not post things for sale in this Forum (U.S. Coins), you will get on the bad side of many of the people here.

Best of luck.

As for the OP, no I have never seen the gold pieces either, that's a big ole chunk of gold!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually you've come to the right place just the wrong forum. On the upper right
    of your page you will see that you are in US Coin Forum. That's a drop down window.
    Find the Buy Sell Trade US Coin forum and post them over there.

good luck,
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of these, I'm guessing they aren't in the RedBook???

Very cool though image
  • Kind of an old thread, but we just came across one. Does any one have any more info than is in the post already.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file