Home Metal Detecting
Options

civil war buttons/bullets/etc

AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
Hey guys
at the local salvation army store today I noticed this nice framed display of Civil War items.
there are 6 buttons of differing designs. A couple were that button with the eagle looking to the left that seems common. 7 bullets of differing caliber. 3 mini balls. and a broken piece of a bayonet. The back of the display says: "..various officer and enlisted man buttons.." ".54-.72 caliber minie balls" ".69 caliber musket balls" and it says that "all items recovered from a U.S. Camp in central Kentucky occupied 1863-67."

The bbuttons were in varying corrosion levels.
Am I looking at something decent here? worth persuing?
John
Collecting
HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Comments

• Options
    It sounds good. I've never seen a fake display of bullets at civil war shows I've been to but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done. I have seen numerous fake buckles and reproduction buttons though. If you like it and think it would make a nice display at your home I would consider buying it. The bullets should normally have a patina on them other than plain lead color if they were dug up. Most are grayish white in color or sometimes reddish gray depending on the soil. Also here in the Memphis area you can negotiate the price at the Salvation Army. Good Luck. Hope it's real.
    Digging trash and treasure since 1977
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From your description, I would say it is worth getting. Likely some avid CW buff put it together at some time. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    What PRICE was asked for it!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    the price was $150. Nab it?
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the price was $150. Nab it?
    John >>

for that price, get yourself a plane ticket, fly to South Carolina, and find them on your own from the actual battle fields.
  • Options
    Way to expensive!
    Digging trash and treasure since 1977