Home Metal Detecting

2009 Car Wash Finds

Hi everyone,
While I didn't seem to have much time for metal detecting in 2009, I did have plenty of time for bike riding which took me through one of my favorite places for finding loose change, the car wash. In 2008 my finds totaled $107.75. These finds included 7 wheaties and 1 war nickel.
In 2009, the total was $99.90 but of that, I found 15 wheaties, 9 war nickels and in a single find of $5.00 in Canadian which exchanged to $4.37 American. All in all, not a bad year for change laying right on top of the ground!!
Mary
Be Still and Know

Comments

• gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    That's amazing.... great job!
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mary--Your totals are greatimage---You've gotten me to get my roadkill jar out. My totals are not anywhere near yours or close to what I found last year. But like you said "It's just money laying there on the ground wait for you."

Cents------------602
    Nickels------------71
    Dimes-------------94
    Quarters----------42

1$ bills--------------2

Total face value---$31.47

All of my totals are down except for nickels of which I found about 30 more. I never find many metal detecting except at certain schools so I don't know what happened there.

• ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    nice finds!

where are the coins at the carwash?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent year Mary.... eyeball finds are as much fun as MD finds.. at least when it comes to loose change. (Treasure cache's would likely be a tad more exciting - image ) Cheers, RickO
  • laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255

<< <i>nice finds!

where are the coins at the carwash? >>

usually on top of the coin box where you put the quarters in. People lay them on there and then forget about them and drive away.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • marymmarym Posts: 713
    On top of the coin box, yes. But I find more loose change just laying around on the ground near the vacuum cleaners. Most of the change seems to be within a few foot radius of the vacs, so I'm guessing that people shake out their floor mats and what ever flies off, flies off nd no one bothers to pick it up. Ok with me, I'm not afraid of a little extra bend and stretch, especially if it's padding my wallet. image
    Be Still and Know
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot easier than being on your knees and digging a hole in the dirt. image Cheers, RickO
  • Mary's total finds are better than some people that do use a metal detector!!!

Good Luck in 2010 ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I worked at a car wash when I was a teenager. You know the vacuum's they have, There is normally a few bucks in each one at the end of the day from people sucking the change up out of their cars. They have a small door at the bottom of the vacuum where it collects the junk, Open the door and pull out the can and voilà. image
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this idea, the car wash is just a few blocks away, guess I'll have to check it out this spring. Also making a list of the large snow piles near gas stations and such. The city here takes the snow and piles it in a large field to get it out of the way. I thinking that if I ask the city and get permission to MD there that I would find alot of change...and gum wrappers.

Here in ND theres not too many old cites that I can MD so I'm left looking for lost modern treasures and change.

• << <i>I worked at a car wash when I was a teenager. You know the vacuum's they have, There is normally a few bucks in each one at the end of the day from people sucking the change up out of their cars. They have a small door at the bottom of the vacuum where it collects the junk, Open the door and pull out the can and voilà. image >>

Is it locked?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • I saw your last post and had to go check! In Gorham it looks like they just buckle, no lock.
    Be Still and Know