Home Sports Talk
Options

roberto alomar..the facts we forget

mets fans must HATE this guy....biggest free agent Bust they had in a while...(beside mo vaughn)

Steroids? how can you explain such a sudden drop off in talent...amazing drop off...

SPIT MAN...how can they elect a player who SPIT IN THE FACE of another person?

NO WAY SHOULD ALOMAR BE ALLOWED IN.....
maybe now that he was so close, he is more examined next year and writers realize this guy is a D-bag.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Steroids? how can you explain such a sudden drop off in talent...amazing drop off... >>

How about injuries? He was hurt his entire first year with the Mets but still managed to play 149 games. Not to mention he was 34 years old. If he was roided up, he would have recovered from those injuries quickly and played another 3 or 4 seasons. Then his HOF candidacy wouldn't even be a question.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alomar was a stud, arguably the best 2nd Basemen in the League for years. Lets not forget that.
  • Options
    The spiting thing, while very ugly, has in my opinion been overbown. He has a fairly spotless record in terms of character aside from that. Also, it came out later the the ump was saying some very nasty things during that incident. Not that that excuses anything, but I really don't think we should let one isolated incident keep an otherwise deserving player out of The Hall.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>SPIT MAN...how can they elect a player who SPIT IN THE FACE of another person? >>

Well, the ump who was spat upon accepted Alomar's apology, moved on and the two actually became friends.

If the "victim" of the spitting incident forgave him and supports his candidacy for the Hall, why wouldn't I?
  • Options
    If a player continues to do well into his late 30s it must be because of steroids. If he falls apart in his early 30s it must be because of steroids. Right?
    Tom
  • Options
    another brilliant post from the charleston chew collector.

Alomar is without a doubt one of the top 2nd baseman of all time. Superb fielder, hitter and baserunner. He is an absolute lock for the HOF next year.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>NO WAY SHOULD ALOMAR BE ALLOWED IN.....
    maybe now that he was so close, he is more examined next year and writers realize this guy is a D-bag. >>

Then we should kick out Ty Cobb (known racist and dirty player), Tris Speaker, Cap Anson (Anson and Speaker are both thought to have been members of the KKK), Willie Mays (bitter old man who hates whitey), Johnny Bench (screams and throws bats at people if they expect him to sign for free. The dude's gotta eat!), etc. They are/were all D-bags. That doesn't make them any less Hall worthy. If the Hall only consisted of genuinely great human beings there might be a dozen members.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Absurd comments.
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Mets fan, and think Alomar is slam dunk HOFer...he was the best 2B both offensively and defensively, for a decade. To say there's no way he belongs in the HOF reveals an embarrassing lack of baseball knowledge.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>NO WAY SHOULD ALOMAR BE ALLOWED IN.....
    maybe now that he was so close, he is more examined next year and writers realize this guy is a D-bag. >>

Then we should kick out Ty Cobb (known racist and dirty player), Tris Speaker, Cap Anson (Anson and Speaker are both thought to have been members of the KKK), Willie Mays (bitter old man who hates whitey), Johnny Bench (screams and throws bats at people if they expect him to sign for free. The dude's gotta eat!), etc. They are/were all D-bags. That doesn't make them any less Hall worthy. If the Hall only consisted of genuinely great human beings there might be a dozen members. >>

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>mets fans must HATE this guy....biggest free agent Bust they had in a while...(beside mo vaughn) >>

Dude, the Mets got Alomar in a TRADE.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

<< <i>mets fans must HATE this guy....biggest free agent Bust they had in a while...(beside mo vaughn)

Steroids? how can you explain such a sudden drop off in talent...amazing drop off...

SPIT MAN...how can they elect a player who SPIT IN THE FACE of another person?

NO WAY SHOULD ALOMAR BE ALLOWED IN.....

If you go by losing talent with age, many players would not have been put in, mantle's batting avg. dropped to under .300 because of his last year's batting avg. he had a pretty big drop off toward the end of his career. i can put in here something about mantle's off field habits but i don't think they are relevent. as for the spitting incident, didn't cobb pistol whip a handicapped fan during his playing days? again should not be taken into consideration for the HOF, its for baseball and being a good guy.

onr of the best 2nd basemen in the game

just my .02
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Happy birthday Roberto!