Home Metal Detecting
Options

Cleaning found coins.

coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
I have heard that mineral oil is great for this?

Does mineral oil hurt a coins value

Is there something better.

Chris

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mineral oil will not hurt the value of the coin... it is abrasiveness of whatever may be used to remove substances. Olive oil has a slightly acidic makeup, so may perform more quickly, also without harm to the coin. Hot peroxide is often used to remove stubborn gunk. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Soaking in mineral oil is a more safe method because oil does not have fatty acids & cannot attack the coin metal...Another method is to use a very light application of petroleum jelly (Vaseline), which is gently rubbed onto the coin with fingertips and then gently removed with a soft cloth or paper towel. Do not rub too hardly

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On any coin of value, rubbing with a cloth or paper towel will produce hairlines. Of course, on a dug coin, this is likely irrelevant. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Hi

Can anybody tell me if any IRISH GUN MONEY has been found by metal detecting, if so were in the US. I have heard a few years ago the founding bretheren of the US brought over gun money but todate it is not listed in the Red Book - any ideas?

BR
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass