Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

64 Topps Giants cards

Is it just me or are there a lot of people collecting this set right now?

I have been working hard on this set lately and keep getting sniped!!

If you veterans have a stash you want to sell - contact me
or put them on ebay... they seem to be getting hot!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    BigKid, there are definitely more and more people collecting this set for all of the reasons I've mentioned on these boards in the past.

There is stiff competition for the higher graded cards that wasn't there a year ago.

A year ago I bought a Skowron PSA 8 for $26. I knew it was going to be a tough card and was thrilled to get it so cheap. A few weeks ago a poorly centered Skowron PSA 8 went for approximately $275. Two regular buyers ran the price up to that sick level.

A few months back I bought a Yastrzemski PSA 9 for $100. Another PSA 9 recently sold for $600 - madness. Another one just finished failed to meet its reserve and ended at $456. Another one has a bid on it for $399 by a very good buyer.

Believe me I've made some dumb purchases the other way as well. Aconte can tell you that!

What can I say, it's a great set and it's finally getting some recognition. Hang in there and you will get the cards you're seeking at the price you want.

By the way you should check other auctions besides Ebay. Right now Teletrade Auctions seems to have a lot of graded 1964 Topps Giants for auction. Check them out.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Gemmint is right on all counts!

Hang in there Bigkid. Patience is a key. Right now there just might be a couple new set bidders
    that have entered the arena. Things should cool off. I have noticed that there seems to be less cards
    auctioned in 8 or 9. This could also be causing the price bumps. Hopefully, a nice lot will come on
    ebay or teletrade and you can grab one or two with no one even noticing your great buy!

Good Luck,

aconte

typo's - sorry
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Aconte, when are you going to get back into the '64 Topps Giants game image?
  • Options
    Gemmint,

It depends on the red man purchases I make. One of my main seller's of these cards is running
    very low in his high end cards (7 or better). He collected this set for over twenty years. And he
    has acquired some of the finest cards. Some from his own sets are the highest graded. He has
    a great deal of nines. These cards I will never be able to afford. He has used Sgc for his grader of these. I have kept them in their holders. And they are so sweet! Anyhow once this supply
    is diminished I think I be able to refocus on the 64 Giants.

Unfortunatlely, I don't think I'll ever be a threat to the great gemmint set. My goal will be
    high end eights and favorably priced nines. I own about 15 cards right now.

So my question to you. When are you going to sell your eights that you own that have been
    replaced by nines and tens? image Do you have a list your selling? I would love to buy your
    doubles at a fair price if your selling.

aconte
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I too! am working on the '64 Giants set in PSA-8 and 9. I have a liitle over 1/2 the set. And when I see a card I need, it goes for a crazy amount. And I'm not taling about the short prints. I seem to add a card every other month to the set. Very frustrating...jay
  • Options
    Aconte - when I started upgrading to 9's and 10's I put my 8's aside. Before long I practically had a complete set of 8's so I decided to complete a set of just 8's - I'm almost done. I'm also working on another set of combination 8's and 9's. It's getting pretty ridiculous. I don't really have any spares at the moment but I'll keep you in mind for sure when I do - at a fair price of course! image

Quality, you're moving along nicely with your set. If you're looking mainly for 8's you will get the job done eventually at fair prices. I've never seen so many maniac collectors for this set. It's a short set so I guess that collectors don't mind paying up for the cards just to get the dam thing done LOL. Aconte and I used to be the only maniacs 1 1/2 -2 years ago image. Of course I was the chief nut job back then.
  • Options
    if you want a card bad enough
    (and you dont plan to sell it)
    then you can pay what ever you feel you can for it
    (which may be more than the books say it's worth)

but who is to say what a card is really "worth" to you?
  • Options
    thanks guys!
    you are such an inspiration!
    ~jeff
    imageimage
  • Options
    Is there a special name for sets like the 64 Topps Giants: Insert set, special set...etc. Because Topps made the regular 64 Topps that year, along with the Giants and 3D. Are there special terms for these "special sets"?
    Fred
  • Options
    ngfred - I believe most collectors refer to them as "supplemental issues."
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Options
    z, AKA thegemmintman, and other collectors of the '64 Topps Giants set - I have a question. Understanding that these cards are fairly available and that there is a great deal of high-end ungraded cards still out there, do you think that this is the height of the set? Do you feel the set will steadily decline or do you think because it is so available, many more collectors will get involved?
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Options
    Pinhigh, more and more collectors are recognizing what an exceptional set this is.

It's Topps

It's Vintage

It's Topps' First Oversized Baseball Card Issue

It's Available

It's Affordable

It's Undervalued

It's A Short 60 Card Set Including 7 Short Prints

It's Packed with Hall of Famers

It's The Last Great Undiscovered Treasure in Vintage Cards

It's Cool

I don't think the long term trend of this is down. I think it's up - particularly the high end cards.

Supply has been heavy for about a year now, but the market has absorbed it rather well.

A great many collectors are putting graded sets together. The Registry is taking the hobby by storm. Read my reasons above, and you will see why this set is an ideal choice for collectors.

P.S. If anyone disagrees with me I'm going to become very angry.
  • Options
    Mr Gemmintman

You stated that you were "the chief nut-job back then".

So what's changed?

signed

An Innocent Person who just happened to pass by.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    My title changed. I'm the Emperor Nut Job now.

P.S. There's nothing Innocent about stealing a little girl's balloon.
  • Options
    Back to the '64 Topps Giants...

It's What You Want

It's What You Need

It's What's For Dinner
  • Options
    Hey, there were no witnesses!

Re: The 64 Giants

I have to agree that they are woefully underpriced (same for 70 Kelloggs!) had to get that in!
  • Options
    What are you talking about?? There were thousands of Munchkins who saw the whole thing!

You're of course correct about the 1970 Kellogg's 3-D issue. It's a superb and groovy undervalued set indeed. image
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys . . . I think.
  • Options
    One other question - What are you guys shipping these cards in when you submit them? Just wondering what may be the best way to send these for submission and where you guys are getting the supplies.
  • Options
    Card Saver IV's or 4"X6" Post Card Sized Top Loaders
  • Options
    Do you use a sleeve or do you just place them into the Card Saver or toploader?
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of using sleeves. I just put them in. They slide into the 4 X 6 Top Loaders very easily.
  • Options
    z, AKA thegemmintman - When are you going to let us see the makeup of your Giants set? Also, did you really need that PSA 10 Bob Gibson last night?
  • Options
    Pinhigh - if I show my grades it might blind you, and I care about you guys too much to let that happen.

If I can get a Gibson PSA 10 at that price I'll "need" them every day image. I was extremely surprised at the final bid price.
  • Options
    So does that mean that the answers to my questions are "never" and "no?"
  • Options
    The actual answers to your questions are "someday" and image.
  • Options
    thegemmintman,

So when you get all cards in 10s on your Kellogg's set you'll show the grades to that set. Right?
  • Options
    Alfiewt, that's affirmative image.
  • Options
    ...but only if Zardoz says it's ok.
  • Options
    I will reserve approval for the appropriate time

However, congratulations are in order for Gemmintman. EVERY time he upgrades his 1970 Kelloggs, the "finest possible" set rating rises to equal his set. A phenominal accomplishment!

It's no secret that I am also assembling that set, and let me tell you, it's no easy task. When I started, I thought that it would be an simple deal. Wrong! The stars abound in high grade, the commons? Ha! Plenty o'NM-MT, but true mint copies are a bear.

I will complete the set. I will attempt to have a higher than average "mint" set. That's about as good as it's going to get! Gemmint's set will certainly stand as the finest of all time.

Well done!

Paul

• Options
    gemmint,

WOW! You stole that Gibson card at that price. Didn't one sell in a Superior auction about a
    year and half for $3,000. That was a great price. Do you think the market is getting soft on
    these cards on vintage in general? I've notice some of the red man's still over SMR but it
    seems that nowadays you can get more deals.

aconte
  • Options
    Zardoz, you don't have to kiss up to me image. I'll send you a card or two once in a while image.

Thanks alot for the praise, but I have a lot further to go with this set. You're right, the commons are like in most sets - a royal pain.
  • Options
    Aconte - You may be correct, but I don't recall a Gibson PSA 10 ever selling that high. Until a couple of weeks ago there were only two copies. Now there are four PSA 10's - still pretty rare.

I think my purchase was a fluke. Maybe e-snipe died at the right moment for me. I will say that there are enormous fluctuations with these cards. One day a PSA 9 will sell for $100. Next week it will sell for $400. The opposite happens as well. I get screwed just as often.

I don't think the market is getting soft for the Topps Giants cards. If anything there are many more collectors for this set putting on a lot of buying pressure. There is still good supply, and I expect that to be the case for a while.

A few week ago a Yaz PSA 9 sells for $600. I buy the Gibson PSA 10 for nearly half that price. Go figure...image
  • Options
    gemmintman - You wrote earlier that the 64 Giants were Topps first oversized issue. The team cards, Connie Macks, and current All-Stars from 1951 all would have to be considered oversized. Then you have the 55 Doubleheaders. Then you have that elusive 1963 Topps Mantle Plaque.
  • Options
    Waitill, I meant to say Topp's first "postcard-size issue". I was on a roll when I wrote it...
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Has everybody seen this current auction?
    PSA 10 Bob Gibson that is Up On Ebay right Now
    imageimage
  • Options
    BigKid, shhhhhhhh.

Well it looks like Zardoz saw it.

Zardoz, what's your plan? Win the card and then trade it to me for some groovy Kellogg's cards image?
  • Options
    Gemmint - What are you trying to do, become the Bill Gates of '64 Topps Giants? Com'on, you can tell me whether or not you have the other three PSA 10's of this card. It is not nice to hoard cards, you know. You may have more competition on this set than you think.
  • Options
    Pinhigh, I'm not hoarding cards image.

Competition? That's a good one image.

I see Aconte has a bid on the card too now. Smart man that Aconte.

Come on Pinhigh, jump right in. The water's fine.
  • Options
    Gemmint - About the hoarding, I'm just jealous. I might would do the same. You were the smart man to jump on this set. Not sure how deep your pockets are, but if you would check around, you might see that my feet are already in the water image It's just a shame that when I decide to dive in, you'll drain the pool. Really now, what does one man do with four PSA 10 Gibsons? Or, should I say, at least three.
  • Options
    I don't know, gloat four times image?

You shouldn't assume I have three of them already. I may have more than that, and they're just not showing up in the pop report yet.

"It's just a shame that when I decide to dive in, you'll drain the pool"

Come on, I won't do that image LOL, I like your analogy.
  • Options
    Ah,

My secret of bidding that card didn't last too long. I threw a small bid on it to track it and er, er, er. maybe if I won it, I'd er, er, keep it safe for you gemmintman. Yeah, that's the ticket, er, keep it safe! then again, it is a cool looking set and maybe ol' zardoz has more that a passing interest in this set........................................
  • Options
    LOL

Zardoz, you should be collecting these babies. You know the reasons. Just don't bid on the 10's until you have my prior consent.
  • Options
    Sorry Sir!
  • Options
    Now you know what a friggin' card nazi I turn into when I start going after a set. Do you boys and girls really want me playing in your yard?
  • Options
    Yes Zardoz, we want you in the game!

You're not a Card Nazi. You're more like a Card Jester image
  • Options
    The Jester in the court of the Emperor. Gee, I wonder who that would be? LOL

We'll have to see. I'd like to but I have several other mistresses that require my attention.

Besides with this Registry "Best of" diplomas, coupled with my huge ego, I'm going to have to go after something I at least have a fighting chance at. We know that one set I'll get the accolades, even though it isn't even on the registry yet, but everything else I'm doomed. Ooops forgot the 61T Football. My nearest competitor is, well I don't even have one! I'm the only set registered. So I guess that I'm #1 there!!! Whoopee.

I really do like these cards though...Hmmm we'll see.................
  • Options
    wow
    I am sorry I brought it up

I knew it was out of my price range so I did not think about it....

sorry gemmintman
    imageimage
  • Options
    Bigkid - you're spoiling my global domination of the Topps Giants cards image. How can I become a Fortune 500 company when you're out here blowing all of my secrets.

Zardoz - take the Registry Diplomas any way you can get them.

Hey you already got outbid again on the Gibson. You're not going to take that guff, are you?
  • Options
    At this point esnipe takes over...if I decide to play.....