Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Neat twenty-cent piece from Littleton Coin Company

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi folks-

A little while ago I picked up this neat double dime in a special holder from Littleton Coin Company. Do any of you know about this type of holder? Was it part of a type coin series?

Since there have been a few photography threads recently...the images were shot with a Nikon D60 fitted with a Nikkor 60mm micro lens, 1/125 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100.

Edited to adjust images.
Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• Options
    Any info? image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Just looks like a holder meant to advertise Littleton. Is that a Carson City mintmark?
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    It's got the Littleton logo on the actual holder.
    Looks like one of the many custom holders they put average circulated coins into.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Kinda neat. My experience with Littleton isnt.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Removed
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    >>Aren't They a terrible coin co.?>>

that may be relative......many seasoned hobbyists think of them as the WalMart of mail order coin dealers, only without the low prices.......also, they tend to overhype their wares and the inventory is heavy on cheesy novelty type items
    (as i'm typing this, i suppose a better comparison than WalMart would be HSN)

on the positive side, i hear they have some of the strongest "Buy Prices" around

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

<< <i>Just looks like a holder meant to advertise Littleton. Is that a Carson City mintmark? >>

I wish! It's from San Francisco.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Aren't They a terrible coin co.?

As bad as they are to seasoned collectors how many people have they brought into the hobby?

For that alone they deserve some kudos.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Aren't They a terrible coin co.? >>

No, they are not. They get a lot of heat from "experienced" collectors because of their high prices. But what you don't hear is that many of those complainers actually sell coins to them as they pay fairly high prices.

You, I, and most "experienced" collectors are not their market. They sell to casual and novice collectors and yes, their prices are not at bargain levels. BUT, they don't sell cleaned, whizzed junk at "bargain" prices like lots of "big time" advertisers in the numismatic press. They don't over-hype or "stretch the truth" like the TV coin hawkers. And they do not have the reputation of ripping coins from the public like some local "honest" B&M dealers.

They have done more for introducing people to the hobby that most other companies. And they understand that they lose customers as they become more sophisticated and learn about the market. It's been a remarkably successful business model where the only complaint seems to be that they charge too much. Then again, so do a lot of retailers outside of numismatics.

Yeah, some may flame away at me, but that's okay. I like Littleton and the people who work there.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

<< <i>>>Aren't They a terrible coin co.?>>

that may be relative......many seasoned hobbyists think of them as the WalMart of mail order coin dealers, only without the low prices.......also, they tend to overhype their wares and the inventory is heavy on cheesy novelty type items
    (as i'm typing this, i suppose a better comparison than WalMart would be HSN)

on the positive side, i hear they have some of the strongest "Buy Prices" around >>

It's not been my experience that they over-hype, but I don't follow them THAT closely. They are also very market savvy and know what will sell. I know them by working with (teaching) some their numismatists and working with David Sundman (who is an enthusiastic collector!).

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    good points Lane! totally agree on Sundman

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Before I joined this forum, and the ANA in due time, the Littleton catalog they send quarterly was the only new numismatic items I would get. I can't really afford to buy coins more then 2-3 times a year, so at least I can read about them, and I have found out some pretty interesting info out of their catalogs.

Cool 20 cent piece. That's about the grade I would like to get. Even so, they are a little too pricey for me. I think it would be cool to have at least one example of every denomination the US has produced. I'll never own gold of any sort, but I hope someday to get a 20 cent piece and a half cent.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    and i should probably say that i have a few of these kitsch items in my own collection

a few counterstamps come to mind: Lincoln Smokes a Pipe, Lincoln facing Kennedy.........the lighter side of numismatics

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    I even picked up a "Lincoln faces Kennedy" with a Littleton envelop off eBay a while back. Not because of Littleton, but I collect Lincoln-Kennedy "coincidence" pieces and holders.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No doubt Dave S. could identify the piece immediately. He's at a lot of shows so I would look for him there.

Littleton has their niche in the market, they make it very easy for people to start collecting. There is a price that goes with that on both sides - it costs more for Littleton and it costs more for the buyer. If you are going to contact a million people with an offer to sell current proof sets, it siimply is not feasible to offer them at US Mint prices (unless you are already the Mint and have access to their list of previous buyers).
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Aren't They a terrible coin co.? >>

I’d say weird is more like it. Their prices are very high, and they are not really “players” at the shows who will sell to other dealers.

They do advertise to pay high prices for coins and tokens, but honest dealers I know who have sent them material have not been happy with the transaction. These dealers have told me that they cherry pick the best and send back properly graded material at your expense. “Not worth the expense and effort,” is what I’ve heard.

Littleton specializes in selling “stuff” (run of the mill coins) at high retail prices. They sell decent material, but they want top dollar for it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Check the S mintmark, Lane, it might be one of the repunched mintmarks. These are usually visible even in low grades

Garry
  • Options

<< <i>Check the S mintmark, Lane, it might be one of the repunched mintmarks. These are usually visible even in low grades

Garry >>

Hi Garry-

It's not one of the so-called "$" rpms, but could be a "filled S" as the mintmark does not have a clear S. There is a slight hit to the upper right portion of the S to if it is a "filled S" rpm, the primary diagnostic is not there.

The rims are also worn enough that an mpd in the obverse denticles is not evident. All of the "$" rpms I have seen have a "5" in the denticles on the obverse.

Lane

P.S. Look for a few articles on 75-CC double dimes in the upcoming issues of Curry's Chronicle. image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    I will Lane, thanks! I have an article coming up in the next Curry's Chronicle also. My second image
  • Options
    Oh, and welcome to the Boards, Garry! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Thanks, Lane! I just hope I can add something worthwhile once in a while.....
  • Options
    Are you posting on C4OA, Lane? You should.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file