Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade a Peace for the New Year?

I've tried some different shots of this but it never comes out as nice as it is in-hand. What do you guys think on this one? It has a nice golden toning pretty evenly and I really don't see any chatter marks anywhere except the few on the neck.

What do you guys think on a grade? I'm assuming at least a AU-58 to be on the safe side? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Too much wear for an AU58, IMO.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    Looks like a 62/63 to me. I cant tell from pic if there is any wear. Could be or could be weak strike though the strike is pretty good.
  • Options
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is hard to grade it from that photo, given the angle, but I'd say AU-50 to 55. It has near Mint State sharpness, but there is evidence of handling marks that would keep it out of the strict Mint State category.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks AU-something.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file