Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 is almost over...Post your favorite coin you acquired this year!

I assume that most of the Forum members here live in the States, and thus New Years (as per the Gregorian Calendar) will be taking place a few hours from now. As such, I thought it would be interesting to reflect, numismatically of course, about what coin you acquired this year that was your favorite. Please provide images, explanations, and any other details as to why this coin was your favorite.

For me, it was a tough decision. I picked up several fantastic and rare coins this year which now reside in my permanent collection. But the one coin that really stands out is the 1833 JR-8 Bust Dime, in approximately AU condition, with a retained reverse Cud. Alone, the JR-8 is an R5 Die Marriage (some 31-75 known). But with the Cud this die stage is an R7, which I estimate accounts for only 5 pieces out of a possible range from 4-13! I have not been able to locate another example of this coin in this die state, likewise, I have not been able to find another image of this die stage. Needless to say it's a special coin to me, which might also be a Top Pop. I was also very fortunate to acquire it at a modest expense, and to further be able to share it with my fellow forumites image

1833 JR-8 (R5), retained reverse CUD "OF A(2)"
imageimage

The Retained CUD is extremely rare, as most other specimens of this die variety are without the Retained CUD, and just exhibit a light die crack through the middle of the "O" in "OF"

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite was a Darkside coin that I've wanted for 42 years:

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    1795 FH Dollar 2 leaves

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, the 'diving goose'. Nice one, DennisH.

Someone else asked me this question yesterday, and I couldn't decide between two favorites.

Julian PR-12 in aluminum, one of 38 struck. 76 mm. This is a fairly common medal in bronze, and in fact it is still available in a much-poorer-quality modern restrike. This one, however, was struck in the early 1890s when aluminum was just becoming economical, and it is in fantastic condition (now in an NGC MS-66 holder). It's hard to imagine there are many other surviving from the original mintage that are in similar condition:

Julian UN-17 in gold, one of 27 struck at the US Mint from dies produced by Tiffany. 58 mm. This an oddball medal struck to honor a guy who went bankrupt in the US before making his fortune building railroads in South America. It is fairly rare in bronze, while I have been unable to locate sale records for any other specimens in gold. Weighing over 3 ounces of .999 fine gold, it's easy to imagine that much of the original mintage has been melted in the last 140 years. This particular specimen was in fact purchased as gold scrap by the fellow I bought it from. I'm glad he had the sense to find out if it might be worth more than that:

imageimage

There were others that I'm plenty happy with, but those are definitely the two that make me grin the most when I think back over the last year.
  • Options
    MS65 in an old doily:

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Wow this is a hard topic. I have alot of coins i really enjoy. I am particularly fond of this AU 58 in my Super Slider set.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jonathanb: I'm not a medals guy at all (other than having a Libertas America on my wish list), but the two examples that you posted are fantastic. (By the way, I was horrified to hear that you saved the gold one from the melting pot. Yikes!)
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Im going to go with the 1809 dime because of all the hype that some people made of this coin. Its still a great date to have though and I enjoy having it.
    Derek
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got this one from Angel Dee's at the February 2009 Long Beach show image

Later photographed by Brandon Kelley of Polaris image

Then cropped on to the sweet image templates made available by SpaceMonkey image using the instructions/tutorial created by BECOKA image

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Well mine is the 1966 Roosevelt Dime NGC MS68 Ultra Cameo that I purchased from CoinDude!!
    hm I guess I forgot to take a picture of the slab before it went to the SDB.

and a close 2nd is the 1967 Roosevelt Dime NGC MS68 Ultra Cameo!!
    Jaime image ~Proof Roosevelt Hoarder~ My Roosevelt Set
  • Options
    wish i had a coin to post. spent most of this year downsizing my collelction.

nice coins all!
    Rick - coin guy
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought from Liz of JJ Teaparty at the Baltimore summer show.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I picked up quite a few wonderful coins this past year
    but this coin has got to be my favorite - rarity and condition:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I wish I had a picture that showed all the color in this. I had to step up to buy it, but I haven't regreted it, I really enjoy it.
  • Options
    The following coin was my favorite coin aquisition this year. It is the ultra rare 1/2oz 1998 gold panda. Out of the possible 139 different gold pandas made since 1982-present, this is the rarest of them all, by more than double the next lowest mintage!!! At just 4,162 specimens struck, I had to buy this coin as the only duplicate gold panda I own. I got it from fellow forumite Fountainhead for a price that was fair for both of us. The 100 gram bullion bar pictured below is my favorite "coin related" aquisition of the year. That one came from Tom Delorey at Harlan J. Berk coins. Thanks again CaptHenway!

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

This year saw me whittle my Morgan want list down to two coins. 95 done and 2 to go. Acquisitions included the 93-S and a 95-S in 62. But none of those thrilled me as much as this one.
    It is not my most expensive, or rarest, or nicest looking, but definitely my most exciting acquisition this year. I originally bought it for melt. I didn't know it was in lot of 90% I had just purchased on the way to the Long Beach show. While I was at the dealers table in Long Beach selling all my 90% I grabbed the bag I just bought to add to my sale and I noticed some pre-25 SLQ's in the batch literally as I was pushing them across the table. I pulled these aside and put them in a bag to check later when I got home. When I got home I threw the bag onto my shelf and did not get around to checking them for a week or so. I turned over the 3rd coin and saw this! I went back and forth at least three times with the Grey Sheet checking and rechecking as I have let myself get prematurely giddy way to many times in the past. But sure enough, it was the real thing.
    I sent it to PCGS and nearly fell off my chair when it came back XF 40. I took photos and posted them on this forum to get other opinions on the grade. Most shot it down as over graded, and have to admit I thought it was as well. Recently I sent it to CAC and it came back with a GREEN BEAN! I mean this coin just keeps on giving. So it is my favorite purchase of the year.
    And for those of you pondering the plight of the poor seller. He received an additional check from me when the coin came back from PCGS. So I'll be keeping this coin even though this is my only graded SLQ. But heck if you are going to have one for your type collection this one is not a bad one to have.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

>>

Absolutely stunning! Great purchase.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    This is one fine 1814 O-108a, the E/A. It has also received the CAC seal of approval. This is certainly one in my box of twenty. Throw away the price sheets on this one.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    1881-S Morgan Dollar in PCGS MS64DMPL in a "Rattler" Holder:

TC71
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of several very tough dates I've acquired over the past year, this would have to rank at the top...

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This year's favorite is my first Dahlonega $2.50 (PCGS XF45 CAC).

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough one. Maybe this.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    This is one of only a couple or three coins I bought this year.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

edited to add better pics.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't recall all of my acquisitions, but this is as good a choice for a favorite as any.

• Options
    :-)
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, to be fair. I have to list one from each type I collect........so I willimage

Bought Raw and graded
    1886 Morgan PCGS MS64

Bought from the great guys at CRO
    not the rarest Conder I have purchased this year but have always wanted oneimage

Finest known and toned to bootimage.....at least the last I checked
    1921RussiaSovietRoubleMS65

Have always wanted one and finaly was able to get itimage
    1837 Feuchtwanger HTT 6I MS64 CAC

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite U.S. Coin Acquired in 2009:

1846 Seated Liberty Dollar - PCGS AU-53 -- New Photos

My favorite Darkside Coin Acquired in 2009:

1612 German States - Saxe-Weimar - Johann Ernst (1605-1626) Eight Brothers Taler - ICG XF-40

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, good thread! That's a tough one - I can't decide between these two:
    or

JH
  • Options
    dont think ill ever find a CBH like this ever again.

Or a peace dollar like this image

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ooh, good thread! That's a tough one - I can't decide between these two:

Jeff
    Ill take the 1824 off your hands and you wont need to worry about which one to post

Derek
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jeff Ill take the 1824 off your hands and you wont need to worry about which one to post

Derek >>

Sorry, there's no way I'm parting with that one anytime soon! image

JH
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    This one (NGC XF-45) arrived in today's mail. It is tied for first with the 1871 HD (NGC MS-62) I purchased from Coinguy1 a few months back. BTW, Happy New Year, New York!

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1964 type C rev of 1965

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This 1807 O-112 may have come early in the year among many other really nice (and some scarcer) CBH's I acquired, BUT it was still my favorite.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only bought 2 coins for myself this year, an UHR from the mint (no need for a picture, it looks exactly like all the others)

and this..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Ya if I could only learn how to post giant pics like you guys do.. I would say easily my best and favorite purchase is the 2009 UHR image I know im so easy!!... Someone help me out with the picture posting i just get erros on how my files are to large when they really aren't...
  • Options

<< <i>Ya if I could only learn how to post giant pics like you guys do.. I would say easily my best and favorite purchase is the 2009 UHR image I know im so easy!!... Someone help me out with the picture posting i just get erros on how my files are to large when they really aren't... >>

See my sig line - Newbie's Guide to the forum tells you how to post pics using photobucket image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been many, so it's sort of a hard decision, but I think this one is my favorite purchase of 2009:

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sooo much history. My favorite of 2009.

imageimage
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I had the fun of finding my first Mercury Dime variety which put me on the path of trying to complete a PCGS Number One Mercury Dime Complete Variety set. This is the one that started it off. (I still need some for this set so feel free to let me know if you have any of the ones I need for sale. It is like I have now hit a brick wall.)

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acquired this in a swap - White metal "pattern".

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, love the holed 1/2 disme! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    This was mine.... not the grade I started looking for but bought it raw on BST, submitted as a CC quarterly special and it graded PO01 pop 1

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FR02 Vermont purchased raw for Sinin1
  • Options
    It's between this and the 1883-CC I bought on New Years Eve, so I'll put this one up.

Good luck JOE-PA against LSU today

Ilikacoinsawholebuncha

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file