Home U.S. Coin Forum

Probably the most impressive Franky I've ever seen / owned / sold

Wow, what a coin. I purchased this coin many years ago. Ended up selling it to a good friend and now that friend has decided to part ways with it for personal needs. Before this thing goes onto the block though, I wanted to let you guys check it out and see how you like it.

This sucker has just about everything a Franklin lover would want.

1. The coveted star
2. Incredible Deep Cameo obverse
3. Unfortunately no cam on the reverse
4. Some pretty incredible toning, especially on the reverse

I would love to hear your opinions on this one.... I know personally I love it!

Comments

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    and hopefully find some potential bidders?? Nice coin though.
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, that is a real beauty. Nice!!!
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't dare post a link here! That would be dishonorable.... but I'm sure when it goes up I'll post a link on the BST. Not my coin anymore though, just a friend who's trying to raise some cash.
  • Nice way to spam... image

Overall I don't find the coin that impressive...the toning itself isn't star worthy so the Star had to be for a just missed Cameo designation overall I would pass on a coin like this and sink my money into a monster toned PF65.
    Well, honestly it was not my intent to spam, but more to just show off a coin that I thought others might enjoy.

• << <i>Well, honestly it was not my intent to spam, but more to just show off a coin that I thought others might enjoy. >>

It sounds as if the coin is not owned by you, not currently for sale and you didn't mention where it would be made available for sale in the future. That sure doesn't sound like spam to me.
  • Happy New Year Guys!!! If i can post him one more time this year? image
    This is my PCGS PF65 Frankie.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I don't especially like it

proof coins don't do much for me anymore
    Oh, that's so ugly compared to the one I posted! NOT!! Thanks for posting that, I love it!
  • The star means nothing but that is one fantastic coin. I collect Franklin proofs and that one is awesome.
  • pretty!
    Rick - coin guy
  • I like it!!
    Jaime image ~Proof Roosevelt Hoarder~ My Roosevelt Set

• << <i>

<< <i>Well, honestly it was not my intent to spam, but more to just show off a coin that I thought others might enjoy. >>

It sounds as if the coin is not owned by you, not currently for sale and you didn't mention where it would be made available for sale in the future. That sure doesn't sound like spam to me. >>

Trolling indirectly for offers is exactly how this seems to me. I bet if you PM the thread starter you could "magically" be directed on how to proceed in aquiring this coin.image

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, honestly it was not my intent to spam, but more to just show off a coin that I thought others might enjoy. >>

It sounds as if the coin is not owned by you, not currently for sale and you didn't mention where it would be made available for sale in the future. That sure doesn't sound like spam to me. >>

Trolling indirectly for offers is exactly how this seems to me. I bet if you PM the thread starter you could "magically" be directed on how to proceed in aquiring this coin.image >>

You could "bet" the same about any coin posted by anyone who owns it or knows who the owner is. You might win some, but if that is your standard for spam, it sounds overly strict.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Trolling indirectly for offers is exactly how this seems to me. I bet if you PM the thread starter you could "magically" be directed on how to proceed in aquiring this coin.image >>

You could "bet" the same about any coin posted by anyone who owns it or knows who the owner is. You might win some, but if that is your standard for spam, it sounds overly strict. >>

Mark, how often does a typical "look at my coin" thread begin with this???:

"....and now that friend has decided to part ways with it for personal needs. Before this thing goes onto the block though, ....."

That is what seperates THIS post from "any coin posted" as you put it. This is simply not-so-well disguised spam.....wait.....actually it WAS well disguised....to you at least.
  • The OP doesn't own the coin
    He didn't post a link or anything saying where it's for sale
    The coin is not currently for sale

What's the problem?
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

• << <i>The OP doesn't own the coin
    He didn't post a link or anything saying where it's for sale
    The coin is not currently for sale

What's the problem? >>

Look at my post above yours Chad.image If its the OP's intention to just show off a pretty coin he once owned, why the need to mention its going back onto the market? Please explain this logic to me.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

You could "bet" the same about any coin posted by anyone who owns it or knows who the owner is. You might win some, but if that is your standard for spam, it sounds overly strict. >>

Mark, how often does a typical "look at my coin" thread begin with this???:

"....and now that friend has decided to part ways with it for personal needs. Before this thing goes onto the block though, ....."

That is what seperates THIS post from "any coin posted" as you put it. This is simply not-so-well disguised spam.....wait.....actually it WAS well disguised....to you at least. >>

I don't have the statistics with which to answer your question, but would guess that it is less than 10% of the time. Unless given good reason not to, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, rather than engaging in mind reading and accusations. I'm certainly wrong my fair share of the time, but that is how I prefer to proceed.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The SPAM comment was harsh.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I too think when it's made clear the coin is for sale it crosses the line to spam- wether intentional or not. Still a nice coin though. image
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    The coin is nice, but frankly, after seeing the obverse, I would be disappointed to turn it over and see the reverse. Those 'one sided' cameo deals don't do a whole lot for me since the only thing I'm thinking while I'm looking at the nice side is....'gee, I wish the other side looked this good'. Plus knowing that date comes in some monster two sided cameo's would make me think the coin wasn't real rare for that date.

Probably would be a fine coin for someone not as cranky as me.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Borderline, but I lean away from "spam".
    OP states "before it goes to the block". He isn't soliciting. It isn't his.
    He gives no links nor venue (whether it be ebay/teletrade/etc).

I'm one of the first to call out spam when I see it but I feel folks are being unduly harsh...maybe santa gave them unburnable coal in their stockings last week and the year was bad for them?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Its ok that this guy was the former owner. Its ok that he is overly enthusiastic about said coin (even if it does feel like a cheesy hyped up commercial). But whats really wrong is when one mentions that said coin is for sale. Thats has no relevance to how we may like/dislike the coin. The only purpose this added information serves is to fish for potential new owners of this coin. This is why this feels more like one of those newspaper "articles" that has the tiny words "This is an advertisement" somewhere in the margin rather than a sincere thread on gathering what folks think about the greatness/mediocrity of the coin in question. I too like to give the benefit of the doubt, but I am brutally honest when it comes to the truth. And the fact is, this thread starter IS shopping this coin right now in the wrong forum.

<< <i>Look at my post above yours Chad.image If its the OP's intention to just show off a pretty coin he once owned, why the need to mention its going back onto the market? Please explain this logic to me. >>

The funny thing is, you've turned this thread into spam by complaining about it.

The fact of the matter is, I used to own this coin, I sold it to a good friend who collects toners and what not. He decided to sell it, he sent it to me to take pictures of. I took better pictures of the coin than I ever had before because I have a new camera and am working on a new technique, at least for me. So, my logic was, to show off what I consider a beautiful coin, show off my picture taking skills as paltry as they are compared to many here. The fact is, if you PM'ed me asking about the sale of this coin, it is not for sale at the moment, and even if I were offered a decent amount, it is not mine to sell and I am not authorized to sell it to anyone directly. The only PM I got regarding this coin so far was not to purchase it, but to plainly comment on it... and I did not and will not offer it for sale to anyone here.

So, all in all.. I have what "I" consider to be one awesome coin, in my possession.... I took what "I" consider to be pretty decent pictures of it.... I wanted to get others opinions on it. Honestly, I knew I would get flamed by some, be told it's ugly by some and told it was beautiful by others. So really, I got exactly what I thought. So, stop spamming the thread and it will die a slow death and you won't have to see it anymore.

Thanks to those who have responded in the positive and even to those who have responded in the negative. It's interesting to see the range of comments on a coin like this one.

• << <i>

<< <i>Look at my post above yours Chad.image If its the OP's intention to just show off a pretty coin he once owned, why the need to mention its going back onto the market? Please explain this logic to me. >>

The funny thing is, you've turned this thread into spam by complaining about it.

The fact of the matter is, I used to own this coin, I sold it to a good friend who collects toners and what not. He decided to sell it, he sent it to me to take pictures of. I took better pictures of the coin than I ever had before because I have a new camera and am working on a new technique, at least for me. So, my logic was, to show off what I consider a beautiful coin, show off my picture taking skills as paltry as they are compared to many here. The fact is, if you PM'ed me asking about the sale of this coin, it is not for sale at the moment, and even if I were offered a decent amount, it is not mine to sell and I am not authorized to sell it to anyone directly. The only PM I got regarding this coin so far was not to purchase it, but to plainly comment on it... and I did not and will not offer it for sale to anyone here.

So, all in all.. I have what "I" consider to be one awesome coin, in my possession.... I took what "I" consider to be pretty decent pictures of it.... I wanted to get others opinions on it. Honestly, I knew I would get flamed by some, be told it's ugly by some and told it was beautiful by others. So really, I got exactly what I thought. So, stop spamming the thread and it will die a slow death and you won't have to see it anymore.

Thanks to those who have responded in the positive and even to those who have responded in the negative. It's interesting to see the range of comments on a coin like this one. >>

Any reason in particular you decided to let us all know that:

"......and now that friend has decided to part ways with it for personal needs. Before this thing goes onto the block though, ......"???

What was your intention in giving us this irrelavant information? It has nothing to do with whether we like the coin or not, does it? I see no point for it being included anywhere in your post OTHER than to induce PM offers, or PM's to get in touch with your "very good friend" who needs to "raise funds".
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gecko, we get your point, you state it over and over.
    It appears a couple may agree with you and more don't agree with you.

That said, do you really like repeating yourself? As I mentioned, you made your point....now, don't you have more threads to go harass or is the OP your target for the day?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>

Thanks to those who have responded in the positive and even to those who have responded in the negative. It's interesting to see the range of comments on a coin like this one. >>

Stop with the spam, alreadyimage

By the way, when I first opened the thread, I only saw the top images (which didn't show the toning well at all) and was unimpressed. When I looked again later, I saw the other images, which make the coin appear much prettier. I like the way it looks, and for the record, was not asked and/or paid to post.image

• << <i>gecko, we get your point, you state it over and over.
    It appears a couple may agree with you and more don't agree with you.

That said, do you really like repeating yourself? As I mentioned, you made your point....now, don't you have more threads to go harass or is the OP your target for the day? >>

Im repeating my questions to the OP directly. Yet, not surpisingly, he doesnt have an answer.image
    Dude, I was pretty sure I answered you, but I guess not. Anyhow, I have a connection to this coin because I used to own it. I have a connection to the coin because I myself considered sending it in to get it "STARRED". But I guess I was too much of a wuss for that and my buddy showed me up. The guy is a really really good friend and I wanted to show it off whilst it was still in my possession. Is that enough for you, because I can't keep answering, it's time to go party for the New Year and I hope you get out of the house and release some of your frustration.

PS, I hold no grudge to you in anyway... but I will not sell the coin to you no matter how many PM's you keep sending me! image

Just kidding about the PM stuff!

• << <i>Dude, I was pretty sure I answered you, but I guess not. Anyhow, I have a connection to this coin because I used to own it. I have a connection to the coin because I myself considered sending it in to get it "STARRED". But I guess I was too much of a wuss for that and my buddy showed me up. The guy is a really really good friend and I wanted to show it off whilst it was still in my possession. Is that enough for you, because I can't keep answering, it's time to go party for the New Year and I hope you get out of the house and release some of your frustration.

PS, I hold no grudge to you in anyway... but I will not sell the coin to you no matter how many PM's you keep sending me! image

Just kidding about the PM stuff! >>

Oh man, you just gave him a huge pile of ammunition. In saying "Just kidding about the PM stuff", you will make him think that you will sell the coin if he keeps sending PM's.image

• Happy New Year, and best of luck to your buddy's sale. Good one about the PM's....thanks for outting me!image
  • I feel that the toning detracts alot of potential value from the coin but otherwise the cameo is great.
  • I'll bet it looks great in hand. Thanks for sharing it with us.

"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the forum gestapo/wannabe mods have struck again ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • CoinyCoiny Posts: 711 ✭✭
    Agree...it is a great coin and eye appeal IMHO is subjective. It is OK for some to like and some to dislike.
    Here are my thoughts on the the best Franklin in my proof collection

imageimage
    Coiny
    Wow, very impressive coin and grade. I'll bet that coin looks better in hand. Are those the generic photos that NGC does? Anyhow, I would love to see what a good photographer could do with that thing.
  • Nice looking coin, for a Frankie!!!image
  • ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Sweet coinimage sour discussion. image Happy New Year everyone.image
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • segojasegoja Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭✭
    Forget the potential SPAM (give him the benefit of the doubt), I think he wanted some feedback.

The coin has the typical toning that comes from Old NGC holders on Proof Franklins.

The obverse looks nice, the reverese is so-so with out the CAMEO contrast.

This is not a super tough coin to find with 2 sided deep cameo contrast.

Overall, toned proof Franklins, unless absolutely spectacular, do not bring a big premium.

My guess is that coin would bring below $100 at any major auction venue. Just my opinion based on selling lots and lots of proof Frankies over the last 25 years.
    JMSCoins Website Link

Ike Specialist

Finest Toned Ike I've Ever Seen, been looking since 1986

• I posted across the street $100 max and bingo...it sold for right at $100 dollars which doesn't mean the buyer didn't get a good deal. I just valued it at $100 and was suprised that it brought that amount to the penny....congrats to the new owner image
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin. I wish the people that don't collect Franklins would quit spamming the thread this is getting worse and worse and some should be handed a time-out for it IMO.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rule 5) If you have nothing to contribute to an OP then do not post. Snide remarks and other negative comments will result in your losing your ability to post. No more warnings.
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin wasn't graded tht long ago

Nice coin
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• << <i>Very nice coin. I wish the people that don't collect Franklins would quit spamming the thread this is getting worse and worse and some should be handed a time-out for it IMO. >>

Are you talking about the OP or me for bumping it becuase I collect Frankies image
    Just an update to this thread as there was a lot of discussion about what it would sell for.

Anyhow, the coin did sell. It had a decent hammer price for both parties, or at least I think so.

And Gecko... tell the truth... you bid on it didn't you! You naughty little boy! image

Anyhow, here's a link to the auction, it sold for $100 straight up.

Auction Link.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file