Home Sports Talk
Options

Bay to Mets

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
thru boston.com I learned that WFAN is reporting Bay will sign with the NYM for four years, 66 million dollars.

Mets locked up the pennant now, didn't they?

Comments

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    hope that extra $6 million was worth it Jason. .269 AVG and 36 HRs in Fenway should translate to .260 & 25 in Citi Field. Good luck with that Bay.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kinda thought Bay would not resign with the Red Sox, but expected him to go to Seattle, closer to his hometown in Trail, BC.

Putting things into perhaps a weird perspective, Ted Williams highest salary for playing left field in Fenway was a seemingly PALTRY $125,000. Bay will make a bit less than that per game. Even if you skew Williams' $$ into 2009 dollars, it's still a whale of a salary in comparison, but I doubt the latter player will not even come close to Williams' stature or accomplishments.

Imagine making $101,851.85 per game, every game of the 162 game season!!

I doubt Bay will perform well in the former Shea Stadium. Sorry to see him go, but like they say, "money talks and BS walks".
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW ... Let's take Mr. Bay's stats over the past four years and project them over the next four.

Based upon those stats, he will make:

$536,585 for each HOMERUN he hits, OR

$159,806 for each RBI he knocks in, OR

$109,453 for each HIT he gets OR

$108,197 for each GAME HE PLAYS.

All I can say is WOW! (and WHY??????)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad we didnt sign him for that. He wont put up those #'s again IMO
  • Options

<< <i>thru boston.com I learned that WFAN is reporting Bay will sign with the NYM for four years, 66 million dollars.

image >>

This club is called the Mets. It will find a way to lose. Plus, Citi Field is not a hitter's friend given its dimensions.

Wish him luck, though

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    This signing is why the Mets will always be a bad team....there's no way there's any bat not named Pujols who's worth this kind of money. Throw in sub-standard defense and inflated numbers from a hitter-friendly ballpark and you have a recipe for disaster.

• Options
    How could the Redsox let him go? Money isn't an issue with the Redsox's. Who will they replace him with?
  • Options
    Heard there's an option for a 5th year which could raise the contract as high as $80 million. Will be interesting to see how much Matt Holliday signs for. The Mets are also close to signing Benji Molina. Hope they don't stop there, as starting pitching is the biggest need.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Mets front office - they are on my holiday card list...I even send them a good card, one with those little silver and different color sparkly things on it...although not quite as nice as the card I send to Jerry Jones.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a PR standpoint, the Mets had to do something this offseason if only to placate the increasingly frustrated fans who are refusing to renew their season ticket plans. It's a lot of money, but it's better than what we had in the OF, so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic for now. An OF of Beltran, Bay and Francoeur is pretty solid, IMO. The pitching woes still need to be addressed, though.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    but I doubt the latter player will not even come close to Williams' stature or accomplishments.

lol ya think?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I doubt Bay will perform well in the former Shea Stadium.

lol I doubt that too. What are you on tonite?

Steve

edited to add: I want some.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>hope that extra $6 million was worth it Jason. .269 AVG and 36 HRs in Fenway should translate to .260 & 25 in Citi Field. Good luck with that Bay. >>

Bay is a lifetime .280 hitter, and only hit below .280 twice in 7 years. Think he is capable of hitting .280 at Citi Field, and 25 homers would be fine. He also had some real good years with no help in Pittsburgh, so he's actually in a better situation with the Mets.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>thru boston.com I learned that WFAN is reporting Bay will sign with the NYM for four years, 66 million dollars.

image >>

This club is called the Mets.It will find a way to lose. >>

This coming from a Cubs fan image
  • Options
    thru boston.com I learned that WFAN is reporting Bay will sign with the NYM for four years, 66 million dollars.

>>

This coming from a Cubs fan

LMAO, even SteveK wasn't around the last time the Cubs won a title...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

>>

This coming from a Cubs fan

LMAO, even SteveK wasn't around the last time the Cubs won a title... >>

I was to. I remember buying a newspaper for a penny and reading about it.
  • Options
    And if the press is correct - didn't Bay mention that he wasn't interested in playing for the Mets or in NY? That can't be a comforting feeling knowing that your key acquisiton in the off season doesn't even want to friggen be there. Much less be there for over $16 mil per season. I've always liked Jason Bay, quiet guy - goes about his business - not controversial - puts up numbers (yes even with a pathetic pirates offense) - but I think he, like Santana, are going to regret singning with the Mets half way through their contract.
  • Options
    Bay is a lifetime .280 hitter, and only hit below .280 twice in 7 years

you're forgetting he's also leaving his prime (27-32) years and while a career .280 hitter, he's also posted a .247 & .269 BA in 2 of the last 4 seasons which suggests skill decline + age. A 31-year-old with what scouts tend to call “old people skills” (see Guerrero, Vlad) – high power, poor defensive range and average-at-best speed – Bay can be expected to decline at a faster rate than the average player, as can be seen in the dip in BB rate and rise in K rate. As players get older they tend to start cheating on pitches more. He has averaged 2.1 wins per season since 2007, although giving higher weight to his better 2008-2009 seasons vs. his replacement-level 2007 gives a weighted average closer to 2.8-3.0 wins. He had a 49% fly ball rate last season which is also abnormally high so if he reverts back to a normal 42% rate you could be looking at closer to low 20's HRs. He's also historically a gap hitter which makes his fit in Citi Field even worse. He did begin to pull more last season due to the monster, but that also hurt his BA in relation to the added HRs. Here's a spray chart of his split extra base hits last year. Perhaps he'll take the David Wright approach and just try to hit for average.

• Options

<< <i>Bay is a lifetime .280 hitter, and only hit below .280 twice in 7 years

you're forgetting he's also leaving his prime (27-32) years and while a career .280 hitter, he's also posted a .247 & .269 BA in 2 of the last 4 seasons which suggests skill decline + age. A 31-year-old with what scouts tend to call “old people skills” (see Guerrero, Vlad) – high power, poor defensive range and average-at-best speed – Bay can be expected to decline at a faster rate than the average player, as can be seen in the dip in BB rate and rise in K rate. As players get older they tend to start cheating on pitches more. He has averaged 2.1 wins per season since 2007, although giving higher weight to his better 2008-2009 seasons vs. his replacement-level 2007 gives a weighted average closer to 2.8-3.0 wins. He had a 49% fly ball rate last season which is also abnormally high so if he reverts back to a normal 42% rate you could be looking at closer to low 20's HRs. He's also historically a gap hitter which makes his fit in Citi Field even worse. He did begin to pull more last season due to the monster, but that also hurt his BA in relation to the added HRs. Here's a spray chart of his split extra base hits last year. Perhaps he'll take the David Wright approach and just try to hit for average.

image >>

Not sure about Bay being a gap hitter, most of his homeruns were to left or left center last year. He also hit 21 of his homeruns on the road. As far as "old people skills", thats probably true, but he can steal some bases, and he did have 15 assists and 0 errors last year. Long term this might not be a great deal for the Mets, but hopefully it works out for a couple years.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Its very clear Bay's skills are in decline, especially in the field. The AL would have been a better place for him so you could have used him for DH later in his contract when his skill erosion became even worse.

I think he might eek out 1 really good year with the team but won't perform for the duration of the deal. Holliday would have been a better signee.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    historically he has been a gap and up the middle hitter. As I pointed out he changed his approach for Fenway to aim at the monster, but if you check his spray charts in his PITT days the majority of his extra base hits were to the gaps and center.
  • Options
    I predict 40 homers, 120 RBI and a World Series parade down Broadway, and I'm not waking up! image

• Options
    he will prolly be on the DL by May 1st.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I am not worried about the health as much as his ability to make consistent contact and catch the ball at the level he is being paid for.

It seems without the special medicine that the players were using, most players don't make dramatic improvements or reverse decline trends once they reach certain a certain age.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I had no idea about his health, we are talking about the Mets right?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of that extra $6 million will get eaten up by NY State and NYC taxes.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    maybe he can ask David Wright how to hit homeruns...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Similar things were said when the Yanks signed Damon. Personally, I think Bay will work out just fine for them.