Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OPC 1980-81 Hockey up next? Opinions please!

Recently finished 79T Hockey and I'm interested in starting a 1980-81 OPC PSA graded set.

What are some of the hurdles and what cost can I expect for this 2 year project?

Or should I just start on a 67 Star Trek set.

Thanks for any opinions

Mike
Working my way to #1 1979 Topps Hockey
I know it's going to be tough!

Comments

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    First, congrats on finishing your '79 Topps set!

1980 O-Pee-Chee is a beautiful issue but a mammoth of one…not to mention if you are looking to compete in the registry turbos has a pretty sick set…more cards in high grade are available now due to 4SC, but still at almost 400 cards that’s a lot of money to spend.

The Star Trek set looks like fun, and at only about 70 cards seems more manageable. When building larger sports sets people tend to put a lot of money into players they don’t know much about, thus buying the grade/case rather than the card itself which zaps a lot of fun out of the process…but the Star Trek looks like it would be more fun on a card-to-card basis to build.

Of course, choose whichever one you want! image

Patrick
  • Options
    Thanks Patrick.
    Working my way to #1 1979 Topps Hockey
    I know it's going to be tough!
  • Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    I'd say stick with Star Trek. Of course I only say that as Im working on the 80' OPCimage
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    I love the '80 OPC set. (I finally bought a PSA 9 graded pack- TO STAY CLOSED.) You didn't mention what grade you want but a PSA 9 set, for example, would take over two years IMO.

Hurdles? Some of the Gretzky cards are very tough in PSA 9. The #2 Ray Bourque rookie scoring card is also very difficult. (I think I've only seen two or three on ebay in the last 9 or 10 years.) You also have the added joy that this is an expensive product to rip so there aren't a lot of pack fresh cards on the market. (The gum would be a killer too.) Even so, the cards have the typical early 80s OPC quality control (rough cuts, poor centering, etc) we love so much.

A great set but something (in high grade) with which you'd have to be patient.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Star Trek - but keep your eye out for the top 10 OPC hockey toughies, and bid strong on them.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Well since this set is very near and dear to my heart I will say go for it. You can pick up 8's for around $9, PSA 9's for aroun 19.99 and PSA 10's are starting to creep up there at around $75.00 and up. Of course these are for commons. I was fortunate enough to get some nice raw singles about 5 years ago and then 1.5 years ago bought the number 2 set on the registry to help get me to alomost every card in PSA 9. Centering can be a real pain but you can't beat the rookie crop in here at all. A few months back Kevin Glew did a great article for the SMR you should read. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Cheers.
    Turbo
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Great ROOKIE selection with HOFers Borque (2), Messier, Gartner & Goulet...multiple 2nd year Gretzky's as well as Bossy, Trottier, Lafleur, Perreault, you can't go wrong. As mentioned above, the record breakers (first 5 or 6 cards) are tough to find centered because of very thin boarders. Good luck with which every you choose!
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know a great deal about the set, but will say that any set consisting of almost 400 cards with many popular rookies and second year players would surely take more than 2 years to complete in high grade, unless your funds are endless. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are looking for something more long term I would try and do this set. If your looking to complete something within a certain time frame you may want to do the Star Trek set.

Donato

Edited to add: Congrats on completing your 1979 Topps Hockey set...image
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Maybe you could put together a nice raw set of gradeable cards. Whenever there is a special send a handful in.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation