Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My Story - first it was interest then....... read on

www.petitioncrown.com

imageimage
Exquisite in design and execution
Elizabeth I, Pattern Penny, 1.96g., 1601, in copper, crowned bust three quarters
left, wearing elaborate dress and ruff, THE PLEDGE OF, rev. crowned monogram of
Elizabeth dividing date, A PENNY. A gemlike coin, the portrait expressive and
delicately engraved, in mint state with a deep choclate tone.Excessiveley Rare
Ex.Brice, Montagu, Murdoch, Manton, Locket

My story started nearly 50 years ago and last weekend I drove to the house to show someone were I lived in those early days. As fortune was the present owner for over 20 years was cleaning the ice outside and he invited me in.

Nothing had changed a ships wooden floor that looked unpolished from the days we lived in the house.

It brought back memories of my early coins collecting days and when the post would arrive I would take the coins from the envelope and put them on the shelf above the fireplace or the window sill. My dear friends I remember the days when we were a real minority in collecting. I remember buying a mint state 1820's British half sovereign it was 18 gbp from a man called Smith ay Smith Antiques.

Many memories came back to me. I had no safe in the house just the old coin Swan wooden cabinet. I was lucky to acquire coins during this period; it is no secret that many years later I sold many coins to gain money. Well coins are round and are made to go round.

There were my trips were I was selling, when I saw an old antique shop I would dash in quick "any coins" dreaming of a man showing me a Henry VIII Testoon, alas never.

The life is not so comfortable that money comes only one way, it also ebbed away and there were many years that I could not afford to purchase either because of poor business, education of the children. That was a benefit that I had not planned for.

Many people write about my coins and how lucky I am, it was luck not a planned investment. The bringing to the light now in the web site www.petitioncrown.com is for the coins to be enjoyed by the new collectors to understand the opportunities that are in front of them to aspire to.

What a wonderful medium the internet is, it has no boundaries.The new dimension is just beginning.

I remember clearly only collecting British milled coinage in the beginning. Then one day I acquired a hammered coin from a dealer, these were simply hammered coin by coin, he was a collector come dealer. It took me days to understand what was written on the coin. Some years later if my memory is good I bought more coins from him which were the copper 1d. Soho re-strikes.

I would travel to York to see friends and look in his box; I remember being offered 12+ Gothic proof florins for 50 gbp [which I did not buy] and then seeing another friend in his tiny shop in the Shambles the walking street. These were days gone by.

I did exchange an old ford car for a book and the book for the Cromwell artefacts now on exhibition in the ANA Museum. See we did strange things in those days.

There were my businesses trips to London, and there I met many dealers and people after work.

Consider the hobby, you have control on what you buy, you have dealers with great reputations whose main interest is usually to look forward in the future to sell for you your collection.

During the last few years for interests sake I calculated over a period from 1936 an increase of +/- 11.0% compound depending on demand for specific periods & coins. Like all interesting collectables the lucky owner might buy for investment then soon takes an interest in the collectables. Many years later he/she justifies the investment for retirement. The enjoyment as he reaches maturity does not allow him to sell.

I was talking with a friend and we said as we get older we will be broke buying coins and will sit on the park bench with no money but but still have our old round and sometimes strange shaped coins

Enjoy the hobby, I do not sell coins bit I am always willing to give non biased advice. Write info@petitioncrown.com

Good hunting and now is a wonderful time to start a new hobby.

www.petitioncrown.com I try to get the bug from the system, but once u r smitten with coins u have it for a lifetime. One of the differences other than putting coins in a capsule for posterity is in the UK we are not buying for investment, we r just in love with our coinage.

Today there is a new young vibrant collector community; the internet opens the secret world to everyone. The realization that numismatics is interesting, challenging and for sure under priced brings more people who start first by looking for an alternate investment then join the ranks of our hobby. image

www.petitioncrown.com
A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass

Comments

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Nice wirte up, and it's a nice site also, been there many times.
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    A pleasure to poke around your site, including the odd Provincial token or two. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • JCM-Houston

Sir, Thank u 4 your reply and comments.

Your site is great or should I say awesome for a gentleman on the other side of the pond. 4 sure I will enjoy exploring
    it fully in the next days and weeks.

I started rebuilding my site mainly in July 2009 and need to put it now in good easy order easy use. I was driven by requests
    to keep loading more coins, give stories etc. that I forgot to organize the site. Within your site I learned a lot about presentation.

My site is purely educational as yours is and I look forward in the future if you so wish to having a link from you and should
    you wish for and photos of specific coins please ask as my sole ambition is to drive more people to numismatics.

I am interested to know how you started and what drives your interest, what is your favourite British coin or dream and
    I would like to add you to my site and your story with appropriate credit and link.

Best Regards
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Hi R.I.P. Wayne

Thanks for your comments, do u have a website? what are your main interests? Although my site is 100%
    educational I have great fun communicating and giving what little knowledge I have to the hobby.

I can be contacted at info@petitioncrown.com

BR
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful post.

Your collection is amazing.
  • Thanks for signing on. I've enjoyed your story and your site.

I have a great affinity for your country and it's people; spent two years there at several RAF bases in the early 50's.
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Just wonderful, Welcome to the forum. I do medals mostly, but like all collectors, if it pretty and rare it is on the listimage
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful site. Thank you for sharing it!
  • goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Excellent site! I can spend hours reading...
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • From a Spanish New World collector; WOW, what a site! My hat's off to you sir. You are indeed, a true NUMISMATIST!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    amazing coins- The W&M Crown- is it the QUARTO?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Hi

The William & Mary Crown is QUARTO

How does every one put there picture/avitar in?

THANKS TO ALL CONTRIBUTORS FOR READING MY FIRST STORY - THE WHOLE COLLECTION HAS FOR ME WHAT ARE AMAZING STORIES image I HOPE IN THE FUTURE EVERYONE ENJOYS MY TRAVELS WHICH IN MANY CASSES STARTED AS A DREAM

65% of the visitors to the site are from the USA so I look forward as a Brit on the other side of the pond to knowing ideas & opportunities to have the site enjoyed by more readers ?

BR
  • Hi thanks for showing your site, WoW having a great day as I am exploring new sites that have been hidden fom me. What is your main interest and how did you become interested in British coins and coins?

BR
  • Hi thanks for the comment, what are u collecting? any ide how i load upload photos?

BR
  • Hi a seven year itch, does that mean u will collect British coins now, consider it after the Spanish Amada and all that!

BR

• << <i>Hi a seven year itch, does that mean u will collect British coins now, consider it after the Spanish Amada and all that!

BR >>

Not yet, as I have a lot of ground to cover in my current (long term) collecting interests. But,,,,,,,,,,,, you never know!

BTW Welcome to the boards! image
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Jeff to post a picture on the forum:

Go to another site like:
    http://tinypic.com/

Click on browse, then click on an image saved on your computer and click on open.

Then click on upload now.

then copy your tag in (under):
    IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards

it will look something like:
    [IMG http://i46.tinypic.com/1216451.jp [/IMG]

Now go back to your post on collectors universe or any other forum and "paste" the code ie:
    [IMG http://i46.tinypic.com/1216451.jp [/IMG]

then when you post your reply your image should load up on the forum
    it should show up like this:

or

If you are struggling you can email me any pictures and I'd be happy to post them for you.

Regards,
    Hus

Edited to add I think you can only load your avatar on Tuesdays?
    The option is usually found up near the top right of the forum screen near "profiles"

• Hi Hus u r a gent. Thanks I will try but at my age it is not so easy. Much easier for me to send Photos to put you great site. Everybody makes everything look so easy image( but when u get to 115 !

BR
    J
  • image and cheers!
    Jim
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi thanks for the comment, what are u collecting? any ide how i load upload photos?

BR >>

Speaking of photos and British bits and bobs, here is a compilation of different members British coinage.

If you haven't seen it, enjoy!

Cheers,

Mac
  • Thanks Mac

Quite a get together of photos image

I am still trying to upload a few of mine to join the 'tea party'

Still having problems how to upload HELP

br
    j
  • Try this:
    1. For the online image, right click on the image
    2. Select properties
    3. Copy the URL
    4. Once in message post mode, select that picture button that is between the underline and http button.
    5. You will see a banner that says "This website is using a scripted window to ask you for information. If you trust this website, click here to allow scripted windows..."
    6. Right click on the banner and select "Temporarily Allow Scripted Windows"
    7. Click on the picture button again
    8. Delete the "http" part and paste the URL you copied in step 1 and you're done
    (compliments of TightBudget)
    Hope this helps,
    Jim
  • Hi JimK

I hope it works - image Thanks.......... my site if u missed it is www.petitioncown.com

Interest the coin is a CHARLES II FARTHING struck in GOLD 1663
    Every coin has a story, this one I had to buy a small collection to get the GOLD farthing - you cannot call a coin "sexy" but this is the nearest I get, well there are few others but at the time it sure was exciting. The deal meant people had to travel over the pond, even with the stress and excitement the adrenilin flowed for a few days of expectation waiting to see the piece.

br

imageimage
    www.petitioncrown.com
  • You got it!!
    Looks great!
    Jim
  • Hi Jim just need to experiment more - WoW awesome, I hope I am not the only one that thinks so - a picture worth a 1000 words. The resolution and quality looks great.

James 1st Coronation Medallion

1603, Great Britain
    JAMES I. OFFICIAL CORONATION MEDAL
    By Charles Anthony,Silver
    Obverse: Bust of James I looking right, laureate and in armour, mantle tied in a knot on the shoulder and falling lace collar. Legend: IAC : I : BRIT : CAE : AVG : HAE CEASARVM CAE. D. D.
    (James I, Caesar Augustus of Britain, Caesar the heir of the Caesars, presents this medal).
    Reverse: Crowned lion rampant, looking left, holding a beacon and wheatsheaf. Legend: ECCE . PHAOS ; POPVLIQ' . SALVS.
    (Behold the beacon and safety of the people).
    A rose before and after the legend.

imageimage
    www.petitioncrown.com

Ever thought of collecting British Coronation Medallions they are pure works of art?
  • Excellent! image

I think Boz will like that one... image
    Jim
  • Jim i do not know BOZ but here is a second one , it is 2am on this side of the pond time to rest the eyes, Jim thanks again for the help.

br j

Charles II Coronation

1661 Great Britain
    Charles II (1660-85).Coronation Medal, The official issue.
    King`s portrait facing right, crowned and in the coronation vestments, signed `TS` on the truncation by Thomas Simon.
    Reverse shows the newly crowned king seated in the Coronation Chair with the Angel of Peace above his head, blessing him. Dated April 1661.
    Mint State

imageimage
    www.petitioncrown.com

Ever thought of collecting British Coronation Medallions they are pure works of art?
    Welcome

The QUARTO is the tougher one of the inverted 2 Crowns- I think yours is the best I have ever seen

• Hi Coincat

do u only collect silver Coincat?

r
    j

imageimage
    1694 William & Mary Half Penny [Proof FDC]
    www.petitioncrown.com
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for checking in. I like your website very much. Your 1845 halfpenny is awesome. It's certainly one of the best out there and I wouldn't be surprised if it is the finest known! Compared to the somewhat overrated 1869 penny, that is a real rarity IMO.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Hi wybrit

You r 100% correct it is the only 1845 with lustre I have ever seen. There was a group of different copper coins at Baldwins London many years ago. At this time Baldwins did not give an individual packet for each coin which I purchased, they brought a piece of brown paper and lay the coins next to each other and just wrapped them image oooops forgot to say in one piece of paper. Maybe I should have kept the brown paper? anybody else got such strange stories?

br

imageimage
    www.petitioncrown.com
  • theboz11

there is no ending to what interests everybody - lions why not Leo Mildenburg, his first name was Lion, he could not collect coins as he was the head of Bank Leu Numismatics so he collected animals, of course lions.

br
    j

www.petitioncrown.com
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I have generally found theme collecting to be more interesting and varied than any particular country or series. My Victoria medals being the exception.image

You can turn on your PM function in your Profile, and select a avatar from those listed or upload a 100X100 pixel picture of your own on the 15th

You can make the link to your site active by using the tool bar in the reply box,,, the http tab,,,, make it stick by placing it into your Profile Sig line.
    I collect world coins- emphasis on England and there is interest in several other countries. I look primarily for silver... but who can resist English copper? With respect to copper, I have my limitations

Jeff I know I've said this to you before but I'll say it again, your 1663 farthing struck in gold is spectacular a dream coin.
  • Hi Coinkat
    Do u have George IV penny 1827? , these were shipped to Australia.

BR
  • Hus it was a load of trouble geting the gold Charles II, I suppose great things come in small parcels image except this little beauty took a lot of energy as well

br
    j
  • Thanks to some of the collectors on this forum I've developed a real interest in farthings-particularly George 111 and George IV, and particularly toned-mainly because
    high grade examples are somewhat affordable and at least less than common.

Some if the coins on your site make them look like modern, contemporary examples though image

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Hi canadacolornut

You are correct, interesting I consider it is a good time to aquire farthings & halfpennies. The bassis of my thoughts are knowing the number of collectors of halfpennies in the UK and with farthings it is a lot more complicated as there are farthing collectors all over the world.

imageimage
    Corrosion free
    Charles II
    1660-1685
    Tin Farthing

www.petitioncrown.com
  • BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    That's a very impressive collection, thank you for sharing it with us.image

• VERY cool coins on your site, thanks for sharing.image

Oh, and welcome aboard!
  • cwtcwt Posts: 291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hus it was a load of trouble geting the gold Charles II, I suppose great things come in small parcels image except this little beauty took a lot of energy as well

br
    j >>

Is there a story behind your acquisition of this coin?
    I do not have the 1827 1d

• Hi Coinkat

Big time question, in your opinion:

* how rare are they in top grade?

* how may quality pieces have u recorded over the time?

* do u have an indication to price?

* is it published how many pieces were minted?

br

www.petitioncrown.com
  • Hi Filthy Broke what do u collect?

If u r so broke we can sit on a park bench and chat about coins !

Br
    << Hus it was a load of trouble geting the gold Charles II, I suppose great things come in small parcels except this little beauty took a lot of energy as well

br
    j >>

Very true Jeff. Its also true that the more effort you put into acquiring or achieving something the more satisfying it feels in the end.

One of my favourites:

Not because its the best example out there, but because I have read quite a lot about James VI (1st of England/ Britain) so I can associate with it. I also always wanted one but could never afford one. This one took some digging deep + selling off other coins to buy it. I watched it for several months while I saved hoping no one would buy it before me and it felt great when I could afford to buy it and when it finally arrived in the mail.

• Hi Hus

Scotish coins are exremely difficult to aquire in good condition, this piece is quality, nearly too good to be true, full round coin, full ledgends, nearly no weakness - great purchase image well done and I really mean it. Forgot to say no signs of being bent by strong teeth image with no bend marks.
    br
    j

www.petitioncrown.com
  • Hi cwt thanks for writing, sure there is a long story - i will post it when written, the coin started its life in London then ended up in......... well then one day I was on.......... oh ! yes well I will write the story for u

br

www.petitioncrown.com