Home Sports Talk
Options

Did the Colts throw might mo out the window yesterday?

Or can they flip the switch that easily?
Collecting:
Dallas Cowboys
SuperBowl MVPs
Heisman Trophy Winers

Comments

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i'm a JETS fan and think it was a mistake to sit manning, they should win the game and move on.

i don't see how losing helps anything????
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just my opinion but I think memories of the Patriots losing the Super Bowl to the Giants when the Patriots were clearly a better team, although a tired team...just tired enough to lose to a less talented team...led the coach to make that decision as well as sitting Manning for the obvious reason because of possible injury.

Hands down the coach made the right move. Sure the fans didn't like it, but a coaches old saying is "If ya start doing what the fans want, soon you'll be sitting with them".
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it was a bad move. The Colts also did that in 2005 and promptly lost in the divisional round of the playoffs.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Teams with a bye in the first round aren't tired. Is everyone forgetting about this. They get an extra week off. They don't need 4 weeks off. I hope the Colts get bounced in the 1st round. So with the Colts theory of tanking the game- Manning should not play at all this week, right? Obviously game sixteen is 10X as meaningless as game 15 was. If I lived in Indy I would see if I could get a one day contract to play QB. The backup was terrible. image
  • Options
    Keep playing. They have a bye week in two weeks to rest up.
  • Options
    If the Colts lose in the playoffs it will not be due to resting players yesterday. They still have a game left and may run their starters the entire game. This year's version of the Colts may be 14-1 but they are a deceiving 14-1. Indy has had their share of close games, even if they were winning. Indy is good but they are not a dominating team unless they are not tipping their hand.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it was a bad move. The Colts also did that in 2005 and promptly lost in the divisional round of the playoffs. >>

They've pulled that same maneuver, with those same results, several times.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    They should have played their starters, and gave their players a chance to go 19-0...the Colts were one long FG drive away from salting that game away. What seems to be lost in this controversy is the Colts stupidly going for 2 when they were up 15-10. If they kicked an XP (which they should have), the Colts could have trotted Manning back out there to try to get one more FG and go up 9 points, and THEN take the starters out....without any turnovers, I don't think the Jets were good enough to score 10 points in the 4th quarter.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Of course, had the starters PLAYED like a 14-0 team in the first half, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Just sayin'
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They made the right move, IMO..

That was a tight game through almost 3 quarters and with the Jets fighting for their playoff lives and having knocked down Manning a couple of times, I think Caldwell decided it wasn't worth the risk of exposing Manning to injury. Can't argue with that.

The whole perfect season thing is more important to the fans and sports talk radio shows, IMO. The only goal these players have is to win a Super Bowl. Just ask the Patriots if there's any trophy for winning all yout regular season games.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i> I think Caldwell decided it wasn't worth the risk of exposing Manning to injury. Can't argue with that >>

If injury risk was high enough and if avoiding it was so important why did he even take a single snap? Why did he play every snap in 30 point wins earlier in the year?
    Tom
  • Options
    < I think Caldwell decided it wasn't worth the risk of exposing Manning to injury. Can't argue with that >>

If injury risk was high enough and if avoiding it was so important why did he even take a single snap? Why did he play every snap in 30 point wins earlier in the year?

30 point wins? The Colts won a total of one game by more than 30 pts all season (vs the lowly Rams). Please check the stats before posting.

In fact, most of the Colts' wins this season very fairly close, and several of those games could have gone either way.

You can't just bench a QB for a month once you clinch a playoff spot. That is true for obvious reasons. But playing a half allows the player to avoid getting rusty while limiting his risk of injury.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    It was good move for the Colts. Terrible for me....because those 1971 Dolphins are starting to get annoying.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>It was good move for the Colts. Terrible for me....because those 1971 Dolphins are starting to get annoying. >>

PSSST ... MG ... off by one year. 1972 LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Those 1972 guys are even more annoying. :^)
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I don't think Manning was getting hit that often, he could have stayed in to direct another scoring drive to give them a chance to win. Those players worked too hard all year to take away their chance of doing something that no other team had ever done before.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Terrible move. Manning has his ring already. Give him his chance at NFL history. Apart from him, even, I bet there's not a player in that locker room who was thinking, "Yeah, go ahead and rest us, Coach, so we're fresh for the playoffs."
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Please check the stats before posting. >>

At your request I will be sure to do so everytime from now on. Thank you for the reminder

<< <i>But playing a half allows the player to avoid getting rusty while limiting his risk of injury. >>

What was Peyton Manning's risk of injury for the fourth quarter? Checking the stats, I see he has never been injured enough to miss a game in any quarter in his career, so injury risk is already pretty limited. Checking stats further, I see that the few times all-time great QBs did sit out a month, they were typically not rusty at all, rather returning to top form right away. Montana in 82 and 86, Young in 95. Please check the stats before making such claims
    Tom
  • Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    We'll never know if it "avoided" an injury, but I didn't like it. They had a chance at history. Peyton has been injury-free his whole career and the line has been playing well all year. If they had one loss or two and had wrapped things up, it would be less of an issue. The players looked really upset on the sideline and hearing them in some of their post game comments. I wonder how this affects them over the next few weeks as they will probably be constantly asked about it.

People will probably argue either way if the Colts lose down the road (should have rested them if they didn't or shouldn't have if they did).

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    There's no way to know, of course, but I think the second guessing will be more intense if the Colts go onto win the Super Bowl.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    < Please check the stats before posting. >>

At your request I will be sure to do so everytime from now on. Thank you for the reminder

<< But playing a half allows the player to avoid getting rusty while limiting his risk of injury. >>

What was Peyton Manning's risk of injury for the fourth quarter? Checking the stats, I see he has never been injured enough to miss a game in any quarter in his career, so injury risk is already pretty limited. Checking stats further, I see that the few times all-time great QBs did sit out a month, they were typically not rusty at all, rather returning to top form right away. Montana in 82 and 86, Young in 95. Please check the stats before making such claims

There's a risk of injury any time a player steps onto the field and takes a snap. Don't get all testy because I pointed out that you made a statement had no truth to it, LOL..

The analogy of a player returning from injury to a player resting for a half after his team had locked up the #1 seed is also a rather curious (and irrelevant) one, to say the least.

• Options
    It still doesn't make sense. If the risk of injury in the fourth quarter was great enough to justify sitting, it should have been even more for the first three quarters combined
    Tom