Home Metal Detecting
Options

Pocket change - what do you guys do with it?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
This is the first year I've gotten heavily back into detecting in about 7 years and found about $150 in regular, run-of-the-mill pocket change this year. Most of it is DIRTY! How do you guys dispose of your pocket change?

Considered just spending it, or taking it to the bank after some soaking, but not sure how well these brown coins will be received.
Also thought of CoinStar, but they take a fee of some sort (and I believe no fee if you opt for gift card, but that's not for me). Plus who knows how much will be thrown into the reject bin... I fear it will be so much a worker will need to assist, and then sees all of the dirty coins and kicks me out... (yes, slight hyperbole)

I suppose the real horrible stuff, could send to the Mutilated Coin division at the mint, as I did previously with the nasty Lincoln cents, but that should only be a small amount and probaby not worth the shipping cost.

I've rambled enough, what do you guys do?

Comments

• Options
    i used to tumble my coins in simple green/water mix. left alone for about a day makes em come out shiny.

i rarely dig for clad anymore. any modern coins i get go into vending machines. machine owners usually clean the coins they get. this way i can spend them and bypass the cleaning.

old coins except for silver get a long soak in hydrogen peroxide. i dug an 1883 cent today and its soaking right now.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put mine in a rock tumbler with sand, soap and water. (another board member suggested this several years ago) Let it run for about 3 hrs and then lay them on a drying rack that I made. They come out looking pretty good. Some of Zincolns look pretty eaten up. I have not spent any of my found money. However the bank where I do business has told me that when ever I want to cash them in they would run them through the counter after hours.
  • Options
    Every year I take all of my 'non-keepers" and throw them into the coinstar, uncleaned. Nearly all of them are accepted, with the exception of the bent ones or the ones used as target practice.

I typically get about $50-$80 dollars in change, which is sizable considering I do very little schools and parks.

If you live in the Northeast, TD Banks that were formerly Commerce Banks do not charge a fee for their "Penny Arcade" or Coinstar as it is known in other locations.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put them in an old sock or two and tie the ends, then toss them into the laundry with a load of wash. They will come out nice and clean (well, maybe some salt water eaten zincolns will not). Works well. RickO
  • Options
    I use a rock tumbler then I use the coinstar. Just cashed in a little over $50 in found change. I use that money to buy certified coins for my coin collection.
    Digging trash and treasure since 1977
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As soon as I can find another $50, I'm gonna get a tenth oz of gold.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Rock tumbler, bought at Harbor freight. Roll them and deposit them at my bank.
  • Options
    I keep them for myself.. In emergency I go to bank for cash..