Home Metal Detecting
Options

dug me an oldie!

construction was real slow this year and thus the old stuff was scarce. an 1870's dump recently opened up, but only for a few days. not alot of coins. a bottle digger found an 1873 half dollar and my friend dug an 1856 halfdime. i was desperate to get something ancient from there. this large coin finally made it into my pocket. its the size of a silver dollar and is a calendar for 1853. a very cool find in my opinion. there was'nt alot of people here back then and imagine some prominent citizen owned this.

Comments

• Options
    someone from another forum found this info on this coin. from heritage auctions.

Rare 1853 Calendar Merchant Token. Rulau Mass-600. This token was issued by jewelers and button manufacturers Draper & Sandland of Attleboro, Massachusetts, in 1853. The obverse and reverse feature a clever calendar for the year. Rulau states in his United States Tokens 1700-1900 (2004) that this "token is so rare the ANS does not possess a specimen, thus we are raising its valuation." The current piece shows slight wear with attractive surfaces, and the protected recesses are more heavily patinated than the fields. Seldom offered and highly desirable. (#661100)
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent find! Does the other side have any design on it?
    imageimage

• Options
    That is really cool!

THe description given is the kind of things anyone would like to hear about some unknown coin or object they've found.

Congrats!
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool find. From the description in your 2nd post, nice to see she's actually a bit rarer too. Congrats! I'm a little envious that you can still detect. 3 more months...
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sure know how to find the good spots and I know that you have to work hard at it. It's amazing the stuff that people lost or threw away 150 years ago. To lose a half dollar or any coin then was big bucks then.

Merry Christmas and keep on finding stuff.
  • Options
    it may not be snowing over here but its still cold. my left hand was freezing while swinging the coil. the ground had frost and my boots were chilly.was worth every second though. found some interesting items beside the calendar.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find DemoDigger... good to see you got out. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>someone from another forum found this info on this coin. from heritage auctions.

Rare 1853 Calendar Merchant Token. Rulau Mass-600. This token was issued by jewelers and button manufacturers Draper & Sandland of Attleboro, Massachusetts, in 1853. The obverse and reverse feature a clever calendar for the year. Rulau states in his United States Tokens 1700-1900 (2004) that this "token is so rare the ANS does not possess a specimen, thus we are raising its valuation." The current piece shows slight wear with attractive surfaces, and the protected recesses are more heavily patinated than the fields. Seldom offered and highly desirable. (#661100) >>

So did they state what it may be worth?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful find.

chris
  • Options
    the value of one is great condition was $130.
  • Options
    Its really cool.. Can you post the picture of the other side of the coin too..
  • Options
    the other side looks basically the same and little more worn. heritage auctions sold one in 2008. if you search they're site for this coin, you can see a much better picture.