Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official Vintage Football PSA Thread???

So I've been noticing that with the exception of a few sets, there's no real vintage football love in the PSA SET REGISTRY forum (even though there's a couple hundred vintage sets being built in the registry).

Maybe us vintage football set builders can have a thread where we can all showcase our progress, regardless of the which set we're building?
I think it is safe to say that when it comes to vintage football, you either love most of the sets or you don't like any of them...so the idea of a
"communal" thread might not be such a bad idea.

I recently bought a few cards from different 40's/50's sets as a kind of "sampler" to get some ideas on which set I'd like to start next - I'll post when they arrive.

The only set I've made ANY progress on is my 1951 Bowman PSA 7 set (only about 20 into the 144 card set). Just started the 48 Bowman in PSA 5 set and I'm pretty sure those two are going to be the ones I'll be focusing on the most.

What do you guys and gals think?

-Ray

Comments

• Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Great idea.
    I have been working on the '48 Leaf set, but the high number commons, even in PSA 4 are not cheap. Here's a scan of one I just got in the mail today.

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I am currently building the 48 and 51 Bowman, 48 Exhibits, and 49 Leaf sets in SGC.

51 Bowman

94/144 completed

48 Bowman

75/108 completed

48 Exhibits

34/59 completed

49 Leaf

19/49 completed
  • Options
    Interesting...the 48-55 Exhibits have a lot of the same images as other bowman sets.

The Tank Younger is the same as 1950 Bowman
    The Bulldog Turner is the same as 1951 Bowman
    The Charley Trippi looks like a reverse neg of the 1955 Bowman
    The Vitamin Smith is very similar to the 1951 Bowman

And those are just the ones I noticed off the top of my head.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Ray, great thread! We do have a 1952 Bowman Large/Small set registry thread already started. I am not building any other sets but I do collect various cards from the other Bowmans, I will add some scans of the cards I do have when I get a chance.
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Great idea.
    I have been working on the '48 Leaf set, but the high number commons, even in PSA 4 are not cheap. Here's a scan of one I just got in the mail today.

No the high numbers for the 48 Leafs are not cheap at all. I paid a pretty penny for this one.

• Options
    Here is a link to my 1951 Bowmans, I wont bore you guys with scans of my 52 Larges as Ive posted them in the other thread however if you click the link to my 51's you can access all my Vintage Football 90% of them being scanned.

Perkdogs Vintage Football
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Awesome cards perkdog!I noticed the 51 Bowman Van Buren is the same pic used on his 1948 Leaf.

Jake
  • Options
    I've been working on vintage FB sets for the last 7 years or so. I have all the Bowman sets completed, with 50, 51, 54 and 55 in 7 or better while 48, 52L and 52S are 6 or better. Also have 48 Leaf complete in 5 or better and 49 Leaf in 5 or better missing just 1. I've completed 55 Topps AA, 59 Topps, 60 Topps and 66 Topps in 7 or better, 56, 57, 58, 62 and 65 Topps completed with only a few upgrades needed to be 7 or better, just about to complete 61 and 63 Topps in 7 or better, and about half way done on 64 in 7 or better. The prices for vintage FB have skyrocketed the past 5 years, so I've taken up collecting 50's baseball in 6 or better, as I have been able to pick them up at 50% of SMR in most cases

Here is the link to my sets:

http://www.psacard.com/SetRegistry/OtherSets.aspx?m=1457

Jeff
    I'd rather invest in cards than stocks.
  • Options
    Hey Mazzeo when are you going to scan some of your Gems! You got an incredible collection, I would love to see some of your stuff!

By the way Im so happy you have finished your 52 Large set, I dont have to deal with you beating me out on Ebay now! image
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Figured this is a great excuse to post some of my 1948 Leaf cards. Aside from the first 3, the rest are tougher variations . . .

imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage

• Options
    48 Leafs are one issue that never really appealed to me however they are growing on me the more scans I see, the "Nuclear" colors are pretty off the wall but in general Im starting to like them.

I cant understand why they did not change the 49 Leaf a bit instead of the same as the 48 look.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Mazzeo when are you going to scan some of your Gems! You got an incredible collection, I would love to see some of your stuff!

By the way Im so happy you have finished your 52 Large set, I dont have to deal with you beating me out on Ebay now! image >>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ditto to everything Paul said!
  • Options

<< <i>Here is a link to my 1951 Bowmans, I wont bore you guys with scans of my 52 Larges as Ive posted them in the other thread however if you click the link to my 51's you can access all my Vintage Football 90% of them being scanned.

Perkdogs Vintage Football >>

------------------------------------------------------------------
    admiring amazing 52 large is never boring Paul!
  • Options
    Scott,
    Thanks for posting the pics of the 48 Leaf. I thought I had seen just about all of the 48-55 football cards..and you pulled a few Leaf that were "virgin" to my eyes.

Paul, the leafs are so basic and rudimentary that they are appealing to me for some reason.....I think a BIG kudos has to go out to Bowman for doing such a better job with their issues during the same time period. Leaf did get a few of the key rookies that Bowman didn't though..so they deserve some props.
  • Options

<< <i>Scott,
    Thanks for posting the pics of the 48 Leaf. I thought I had seen just about all of the 48-55 football cards..and you pulled a few Leaf that were "virgin" to my eyes.

Paul, the leafs are so basic and rudimentary that they are appealing to me for some reason.....I think a BIG kudos has to go out to Bowman for doing such a better job with their issues during the same time period. Leaf did get a few of the key rookies that Bowman didn't though..so they deserve some props. >>

Absolutely!

Im very angry at Leaf for not producing a..... :Take a guess:.............. YUP you guessed it! Marion Motley!

• Options
    Just a heads up. Dave and Adams Card World has a small sale going on for the vintage football cards right now. They are offering 5% off (which isnt much but its some) and free shipping on orders over $50.00 if I am not mistaken. Sale goes on until 12/27. Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    To one degree or another, I'm working on all of them.

Most of the '49 Leaf set I'm working on is my own submissions. I have one more left that's definitely sub-worthy from a partial set I got as a gift from a family friend during childhood. A couple more of the HOFers from that group may get subbed during an appropriate special, but I'd be lucky if any of those would even get a 3.

Am I wrong in thinking that late '50s football has been declining in price while early and mid'50s has been increasing for the most part?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Today's mail day.

The first step in what will no doubt be a long journey in completing a high grade '54 set...

• Options

<< <i>Am I wrong in thinking that late '50s football has been declining in price while early and mid'50s has been increasing for the most part?

Nick >>

I am unsure of late '50's prices and early '50's Bowmans....................One thing I am certain of is 1955 Topps All American prices have seen a large rise in values over the last 10 - 12 weeks. I know of two new large $$$$ collectors that are now in the top ten, and several others are working on grades 7 to 8 sets as well. The demand has been huge and the prices are increasing. Heck, I couldn't even win an Ebay auction for PSA 9 Luckman with a $3,200.00 snipe? What's up with that?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Am I wrong in thinking that late '50s football has been declining in price while early and mid'50s has been increasing for the most part?

Nick >>

I am unsure of late '50's prices and early '50's Bowmans....................One thing I am certain of is 1955 Topps All American prices have seen a large rise in values over the last 10 - 12 weeks. I know of two new large $$$$ collectors that are now in the top ten, and several others are working on grades 7 to 8 sets as well. The demand has been huge and the prices are increasing. Heck, I couldn't even win an Ebay auction for PSA 9 Luckman with a $3,200.00 snipe? What's up with that? >>

Im sure your recent article in the SMR and all the hoopla around your enormous '55 AA Box/s has something to do with the large rise in Value recently.

Incase you are reading into my post here the wrong way-please dont as I am not very good in putting words into sentences sometimes image I LOVED the SMR Article, and enjoyed the great pics that you shared, Im not into the AA's but do enjoy checking them out occasionally, especially near perfect looking examples like the ones you have scanned recently.
  • Options
    Hey Dog: Your posts are kind, thoughtful and always right on the money. I am pleased that you think the article and info. about our AA's is beneficial. I spoke to Roy and Joe at PSA the other day about the article, our find, and the impact on the market and collectors for AA's, and they concurred with what you stated. They have had a few irate calls from some of the higher ups on the registry, however, they see new faces popping up too. They also see more business going their way.

The article was cool, however, for the record, I am cerainly not some big shot Billionaire collector a la Spence, Ireland, or Louchois, and despite the rumors - my anonymous pal is not some famous Hollywood icon either - LOL.

Anyway, vintage football card collecting is just very cool, and the AA's are a special part of it. We are just fortunate and lucky in many ways to be a part of it.

Here is another cool card, very low pop, with only four 9's and no 10's.

• Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Figured this is a great excuse to post some of my 1948 Leaf cards. Aside from the first 3, the rest are tougher variations . . .

imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    image >>

Those are very nice,never seen the Girard before,is it a new find?

J.R.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options

I have some 48 leafs myself,was over 50% at one time,then started doing
    something else,never got back into it,after seeing Scott's,I'm back in!
    Here's a few,sold some.
    The Baugh has been upgraded to a 5,this is the one that got me hooked.

I didn't realize how many I had left,time to do some digging,well looks like I got some work to do.

J.R.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Larry Zimmerman???? Where did they get that from? His name was Henry Leroy Zimmerman. I never heard him called Larry....

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Options
    Picked up a bunch of commons for my 51 SGC registry set:

The Bowman Issued Redskins cards might be the nicest looking ever..even nicer than the Rams who are also great looking.

• Options
    Nice looking '51s, Ryan. All are definitely high-end for the grade, too. Most of those 7's wouldn't look out of place in 8 holders. Congrats on the pickups!
  • Options

Big daddy,
    51 bowman huh,man those are beautiful,those rams cards are really
    pleasing to the eyes.What would a set in say 5-6 range run?Round About?
    Also love the sgc black cases.I swore I wasn't going to start another set till I finished
    my last few cards I need for a couple sets,looks like that lasted all of 12hrs.

J.R.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options

<< <i>Big daddy,
    Also love the sgc black cases.I swore I wasn't going to start another set till I finished

J.R. >>

JR, I went through a phase of picking those 51 cards in PSA 5 & 6 and let me tell you they are cheap and well worth it, gorgeous PSA 5 & 6 examples can be had for roughly 10-15 dollars on the Bay for Stars & HOF'ers alot of times, Commons for $10 ussually.

Great looking set, one of my favorites!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Big daddy,

J.R. >>

JR, I went through a phase of picking those 51 cards in PSA 5 & 6 and let me tell you they are cheap and well worth it, gorgeous PSA 5 & 6 examples can be had for roughly 10-15 dollars on the Bay for Stars & HOF'ers alot of times, Commons for $10 ussually.

Great looking set, one of my favorites! >>

Yep -

I'm building the set in PSA 7 and there's definitely a big difference in price. Usually common PSA 7's are anywhere from $20-$30. If you want to have fun and not spend too much, go with a nice looking 5-6 set.
  • Options
    Here is some work Im getting done by a really nice collector, maybe my new sig-line very soon

Also going to get this on photo Paper and get it framed as well...

• Options
    Nice sig lines Perk...glad Earl could help you out.

I agree with all of the other guys responses about 51's...nothing else to add...except that the 51 Bowman set is a great looking set and I am enjoying building it. It will be a work of art when done. I have 95 of the 144 completed. My average grade is approaching 8 on the set..so it is a thing of beauty..and these little prizes look fantastic against the black SGC holder.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice sig lines Perk...glad Earl could help you out.

I agree with all of the other guys responses about 51's...nothing else to add...except that the 51 Bowman set is a great looking set and I am enjoying building it. It will be a work of art when done. I have 95 of the 144 completed. My average grade is approaching 8 on the set..so it is a thing of beauty..and these little prizes look fantastic against the black SGC holder. >>

Earl is the MAN image

• Options
    I just got this in today....only spent $9 on it. I would have been pizzed if I was the one who spent the grading fee to PSA and got this back as a 6. There is no doubt that this is a 7...soon will be sent to SGC for the proper grade.

• Options
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    WOW! That Agase is gorgeous. At least a 7 in my eyes.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options

<< <i>WOW! That Agase is gorgeous. At least a 7 in my eyes. >>

• Options
    Perk...although I like this thread...we have to bring back the "love the vintage football" thread!
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting all of the scans and pricing information on the 51's. After showing a friend of mine this thread he is going to do a 51 Bowman set in PSA 6-7.

• Options
    Bringing this thread back up with some scans of 1956 Topps.

This is my favorite Topps Football issue, it certainly doesnt compare to the Bowmans but a nice change of pace every now and then. I picked these up for a song on Ebay -The "Bull Elephant" backfield of the Los Angeles Rams and Packer Great Tobin Rote.

Unfortunately Ryan with all these great new Football threads being started I think our old Vintage Football thread has run its course, its not a bad thing as it seems there is some new blood into the Football now and these new threads seem to be garnering some attention.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Paul...that Rote card is cool...never seen it before.

Here is my newest pick-up....won in last Sundays 51 and 52 Bowman set breaks on ebay....had to pay a little more than i would have liked..but well worth it. I have owned this card at least 3-4 times in the past and have searched for a 7 that had nice centering and MOST importantly no wax stain on back. For some reason, so many of these 51 laynes have wax damage...not this one...now all I have to hope for is that it crosses to an SGC 7.

• Options
    BidDaddy, I want to come over and spend a day looking at all your cards. I'll bring coffee and donuts and we can shoot the breeze about football.
  • Options

<< <i>BidDaddy, I want to come over and spend a day looking at all your cards. I'll bring coffee and donuts and we can shoot the breeze about football. >>

Ummm You would need more than a day image
  • Options
    I didnt want to seem too intrusive.
  • Options
    You guys are too funny. I would love to talk football and cards with someone.....no body in my "non-forum" life appreciates cards. Make it ice tea and a pizza and I am in!
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I picked this up a couple days ago for $31 on ebay. Only one other bidder.

1955 BowmanTom Fears

Sam
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Just got that Bobby Layne PSA 7 myself in the mail yesterday. Today my larger batch comes in from the set break auctions with Otto and the Clyde Bulldog Turner in Big Daddy's icon. Can't wait to see them. Realized I love this set recently for a number of reasons and wanted to start building it. Love the old school logos that are shown prominently. Love the artwork. But I think one of my favorite things about it is that so many of these pics looks as if they are players on big fields in local parks or high school fields and less in big stadiums. A lot of nature imagery in the background. Definitely gives it a nice throwback feel for me.
  • Options

<< <i>Paul...that Rote card is cool...never seen it before.

Here is my newest pick-up....won in last Sundays 51 and 52 Bowman set breaks on ebay....had to pay a little more than i would have liked..but well worth it. I have owned this card at least 3-4 times in the past and have searched for a 7 that had nice centering and MOST importantly no wax stain on back. For some reason, so many of these 51 laynes have wax damage...not this one...now all I have to hope for is that it crosses to an SGC 7.

image >>

Interesting thing about this Bobby Layne card is that he is wearing # 14 which was Bob Hoernschemeyer's number, we all know Bobby Layne wore # 22, Hoernschemeyer's 1951 card has him wearing # 90 but in his other cards he wears the # 14.

GREAT looking card either way, other than his 48 & 49 Leaf its easily Laynes best looking card in my opinion. And your correct Ryan about the wax & gum stains on this card Ive owned two of them and they both were troubled with the staining on the back hence the reason why I dont own them anymore, its difficult chosing these cards off of Ebay when the seller doesnt state whether the back is clean or not.
  • Options
    Another white whale slain! I have looked for this one for years. Hard to find at all..let alone centered so well. I havn't been this pumped about a purchase in a long while.

Sammy has been patiently waiting for Sid to join him in the BigDaddy Collection.

Welcome aboard Sid!

• Options
    Wow Ryan that is a gorgeous looking pair of cards!

Absolutely stunning for 5 grade, congrat's image

Someday I will be able to branch out a little and pick up some of those Leafs but right now Im trying to stay focused on rebuilding my 52 Collection. Scans like this makes it difficult though!
  • Options

<< <i>Wow Ryan that is a gorgeous looking pair of cards!

Absolutely stunning for 5 grade, congrat's image

Someday I will be able to branch out a little and pick up some of those Leafs but right now Im trying to stay focused on rebuilding my 52 Collection. Scans like this makes it difficult though! >>

Agreed. Those look better than the Baugh PSA 6s I've seen recently. Congrats!