Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold Eagles bullion or collectable

I picked up some 2009 1/10 Eagles and while I watched my buddy count them out and drop them in the tube I wondered. Should all gold be treated like a collectable? Should white gloves be worn handling Gold Eagles in case they become more valuable? Then I wondered if handling Eagles was bad to begin with. Do these coins discolor or tone easily? Is each of these coins going to be tarnished in time?

I bought the coins expecting a smaller mintage but I'm not conviced right now that a raw 2009 1/10 will be commanding a heavy pemium down the road but I certainly wouldn't want to damage the coins either. What do you think, is touching an Eagle the kiss of death for that coin, are those coins now officially bullion?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Then I wondered if handling Eagles was bad to begin with. What do you think, is touching an Eagle the kiss of death? >>

As long as the Eagle is yours I see nothing wrong with touching it, delicately, of course. As for the one below, some might say these are ok to spank. I however, have no comment.

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    sold as bullion = bullion. Making coins outta bullion = owners choice!image JMO Peace, Tim

Burp!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you the experience to grade these coins? If not, there's never been a better time to learn. Get the ANA Grading Reference and a 10X loupe. Go through those Gold Eagles just like you would go through a roll of cents, looking for the best ones. Then grade the best ones. What good is gold bullion if you aren't going to get it out and play with it some?image

With a fresh mintage of 260,000 it is unlikely that you'll see a numismatic premium for quite awhile, but you really never know. In times like these, you will probably see the gold gain faster as bullion than any collector premium the next time gold makes a reasonable move. So, it's probably a moot point.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Definitely not. Touching your eagle would do no harm... These are officially bullion now..

You can purchase the Gold American Eagle coins both in bullions & in proofs...
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies and the book information. These coins should have plenty of blems to find and learn over.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>sold as bullion = bullion. Making coins outta bullion = owners choice!image JMO Peace, Tim

Burp!image >>

Although the 2009's 1/10 oz, with a total mintage of 270,000, were sold as "bullion", they do carry a hefty premium over spot. Some non graded sold as high as $160+ on eBay and are still selling in the $145 - $155 range. Not bad for a so called "bullion" coin.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Yes they do sell good.

I just get mad when people are sold bullion fractionals for multiple prices advertised as a rare coin.

Collectible & rare are world's apart. JMO
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's the coin collector in me, but I treat all of my bullion as if it's collectible: handle it carefully, store it properly, keep receipts, CoA's, original packaging, etc. Those are all the variables. Call 'em "X".

I look at it and most things about our hobby/obsession this way: when I go to sell something, am I likely to get a higher offer and/or a faster sale if I do "X"--especially compared to people who haven't done or don't have "X".

I wouldn't be obsessive about it. But it doesn't take much to carefully put coins back in the tube and to hold them by the rim.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    they are bullion and some will pay premium to compete a set if they don't have them already.

the APMEX deal was good to those who pre-bought.
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no reason you can't collect bullion. Many people do.

And when some bullion ends up scarce or in low supply, who says it can't have a premium? I guess the question is at what point does bullion become a collectible? For instance, the 1999-W $10 Unfinished PR Die AGE. Or the 2004-W $100 APE Proof.
  • Options

<< <i>There's no reason you can't collect bullion. Many people do.

And when some bullion ends up scarce or in low supply, who says it can't have a premium? I guess the question is at what point does bullion become a collectible? For instance, the 1999-W $10 Unfinished PR Die AGE. Or the 2004-W $100 APE Proof. >>

I think its called hoarding when you collect bullion. image