Home Precious Metals

B & M visit

Went to my favorite coin shop today. It was not too crowded but there was a huge armed guard there...maybe 6'3" and no fat with a huge .45ish auto and a nice smile standing right inside the door.

bot 6 ase's @ $23 ea. 5 '09's and 1 '08, this brings my ase unc book up to date and got 4 for gifts for the kids.
bot 1 '37-s F quarter $6.00, finished my book!!!
bot 12 pre '40 walkers vf-au @ $9.00 ea. out of the circ box but I have a long way to go to complete this book.

Sold one pamp ozer in a card for $1087, it was a couple of years old
We talked about gold and we both think it's headed lower. I asked him what all that 1250 was about and he just shrugged his shoulders and said it went up way too fast.

Happy hunting.

Comments

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We talked about gold and we both think it's headed lower. I asked him what all that 1250 was about and he just shrugged his shoulders and said it went up way too fast. >>

If you think that was fast, just wait a few months.

• << <i>bot 6 ase's @ $23 ea.. >>

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what place was that stacks?
    may the fonz be with you...always...

• << <i>bot 12 pre '40 walkers vf-au @ $9.00 ea. >>

I must have missed that earlier.... image

You should familiarize yourself with the BST board... image
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Guys, guys...you obviously don't have a fun relationship with your favorite b&m dealer. This guy has examined big coins for me before I bought them, he has evaluated my collection as a courtesy, he has put me into some nice pieces and it's like going to the candy store to visit with him because he has everything you could think of. I wasn't there to try and scam a couple of buks off of an ase and I was more than happy with the halves at near spot and the 37-s certainly wasn't a ground shattering purchase and he gave me full price for a pamp...what's not to like here? Your pay pals and snorkeling to beat someone down to spot for metal certainly has it's time and it's place but this wasn't it. Sometimes, it's just nice to go to a good ol' friendly b&m and see an old friend and share some chatter and leave a couple of buks and it's as much about having fun as it is just plain ol' good will and it was pretty fun to pick up some common stuff...hey, I like commons coins too. I got a kick out of him putting on his readers and pulling out his circ drawer full of flips and looking for just the right 37-s. Keep on stackin' out there and go to your b&m for Christmas, you'll be glad you did.

• << <i>Guys, guys...you obviously don't have a fun relationship with your favorite b&m dealer. This guy has examined big coins for me before I bought them, he has evaluated my collection as a courtesy, he has put me into some nice pieces and it's like going to the candy store to visit with him because he has everything you could think of. I wasn't there to try and scam a couple of buks off of an ase and I was more than happy with the halves at near spot and the 37-s certainly wasn't a ground shattering purchase and he gave me full price for a pamp...what's not to like here? Your pay pals and snorkeling to beat someone down to spot for metal certainly has it's time and it's place but this wasn't it. Sometimes, it's just nice to go to a good ol' friendly b&m and see an old friend and share some chatter and leave a couple of buks and it's as much about having fun as it is just plain ol' good will and it was pretty fun to pick up some common stuff...hey, I like commons coins too. I got a kick out of him putting on his readers and pulling out his circ drawer full of flips and looking for just the right 37-s. Keep on stackin' out there and go to your b&m for Christmas, you'll be glad you did. >>

Charging 6 bucks over spot for an ASE and 18X's face for 90% Half would not be considered a "friend" in my book..

The bottom line has and always will be "are you happy with your purchase"... You seem to be.. I was just surprised by the premiums you paid..

I wasn't aware he was your friend... image
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    sounds good to me.
    you know what you are doing with the ASE's
    ...you will enjoy giving them to the kids!

• << <i>Guys, guys...you obviously don't have a fun relationship with your favorite b&m dealer. This guy has examined big coins for me before I bought them, he has evaluated my collection as a courtesy, he has put me into some nice pieces and it's like going to the candy store to visit with him because he has everything you could think of. I wasn't there to try and scam a couple of buks off of an ase and I was more than happy with the halves at near spot and the 37-s certainly wasn't a ground shattering purchase and he gave me full price for a pamp...what's not to like here? Your pay pals and snorkeling to beat someone down to spot for metal certainly has it's time and it's place but this wasn't it. Sometimes, it's just nice to go to a good ol' friendly b&m and see an old friend and share some chatter and leave a couple of buks and it's as much about having fun as it is just plain ol' good will and it was pretty fun to pick up some common stuff...hey, I like commons coins too. I got a kick out of him putting on his readers and pulling out his circ drawer full of flips and looking for just the right 37-s. Keep on stackin' out there and go to your b&m for Christmas, you'll be glad you did. >>

That is by far the most refreshing story I have ever read on these boards....
    and I as a B&M Owner guy say, Thank you and Happy Holidays...
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mhammerman, now you've got me wanting to drop by my B&M here. These are the guys that will provide a market (as they do now) for your bullion locally when and if the time arises that the dollar completely disintegrates. The local guys are worth cultivating. Just my 2 cents.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Guys, guys...you obviously don't have a fun relationship with your favorite b&m dealer. This guy has examined big coins for me before I bought them, he has evaluated my collection as a courtesy, he has put me into some nice pieces and it's like going to the candy store to visit with him because he has everything you could think of. I wasn't there to try and scam a couple of buks off of an ase and I was more than happy with the halves at near spot and the 37-s certainly wasn't a ground shattering purchase and he gave me full price for a pamp...what's not to like here? Your pay pals and snorkeling to beat someone down to spot for metal certainly has it's time and it's place but this wasn't it. Sometimes, it's just nice to go to a good ol' friendly b&m and see an old friend and share some chatter and leave a couple of buks and it's as much about having fun as it is just plain ol' good will and it was pretty fun to pick up some common stuff...hey, I like commons coins too. I got a kick out of him putting on his readers and pulling out his circ drawer full of flips and looking for just the right 37-s. Keep on stackin' out there and go to your b&m for Christmas, you'll be glad you did. >>

Charging 6 bucks over spot for an ASE and 18X's face for 90% Half would not be considered a "friend" in my book..

The bottom line has and always will be "are you happy with your purchase"... You seem to be.. I was just surprised by the premiums you paid..

I wasn't aware he was your friend... image >>

Um, $9 each for "pre-'40 VF-AU Walkers," some of them presumably with mint marks, does not sound outrageous to me. I have a $9 junk I throw stuff like that in.

Why not just buy several $1000 bags of 90% halves, go through them and pick out the ones you want, and then ask the dealer to take back the rejects at your full purchase price? Or do you have a better way to get something for nothing?

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "These are the guys that will provide a market (as they do now) for your bullion locally when and if the time arises that the dollar completely disintegrates. The local guys are worth cultivating."

Eggzactly! The variety of responses to this post is interesting.