Home Sports Talk
Options

is a race car driver an athlete?

jimmie johnson is ap's top male athlete of 2009.

is a race car driver an athlete?

some will disagree, but i say no.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

To me a race car driver is as much of an athlete as a golfer and a bowler............NO WAY NO HOW
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Turn on the heat in your car and get it to about 120 degrees. Then drive around about 180-200 mph for about 4 or 5 hours while dodging other cars. That will answer your question.
    If Tiger Woods (for example) can be called an athlete, then racecar drivers would be also. The difference is that a racecar driver is constantly shifting and steering while trying to avoid the "BIG ONE" under insane conditions. Tiger Woods just walks around all day. These cars require 100% focus 100% of the time.
    Hell Yes! They are athletes. They might not meet your criteria for an athlete, but being surrounded by this kind of stuff all my life has shown me that these guys are athletes. A friend of mine almost fainted after a 2 hour race. It was over 100 degrees outside so imagine how it was in the cars.
  • Options

<< <i>Turn on the heat in your car and get it to about 120 degrees. Then drive around about 180-200 mph for about 4 or 5 hours while dodging other cars. That will answer your question.
    If Tiger Woods (for example) can be called an athlete, then racecar drivers would be also. The difference is that a racecar driver is constantly shifting and steering while trying to avoid the "BIG ONE" under insane conditions. Tiger Woods just walks around all day. These cars require 100% focus 100% of the time.
    Hell Yes! They are athletes. They might not meet your criteria for an athlete, but being surrounded by this kind of stuff all my life has shown me that these guys are athletes. A friend of mine almost fainted after a 2 hour race. It was over 100 degrees outside so imagine how it was in the cars. >>

Totally agree. Can't even imagine trying to race cars in those conditions, the drivers must lose a ton of weight every time they race. Also, golfers and bowlers are athletes. Would like to see the average person go out and average 220+ on a pro shot for over 80 games(per week), and most pro bowlers don't make much money.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Turn on the heat in your car and get it to about 120 degrees. Then drive around about 180-200 mph for about 4 or 5 hours while dodging other cars. That will answer your question.
    Hell Yes! They are athletes. They might not meet your criteria for an athlete, but being surrounded by this kind of stuff all my life has shown me that these guys are athletes. A friend of mine almost fainted after a 2 hour race. It was over 100 degrees outside so imagine how it was in the cars. >>

Totally agree. Can't even imagine trying to race cars in those conditions, the drivers must lose a ton of weight every time they race. Also, golfers and bowlers are athletes. Would like to see the average person go out and average 220+ on a pro shot for over 80 games(per week), and most pro bowlers don't make much money. >>

Agree on all accounts.
  • Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Tomi. You makes some very good points
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    The only way they could be considered athletes is, if Nascar made them get out of their cars and finish the last lap on foot. That would be cool!

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Are they the greek statue figures we often look as athletes .....no. Could they get out of thier cars and do anything spectacular physically like run or jump....no.
    But IMO most if not all sports is 90% mental...such as golf or hitting a baseball...then these people are your superstars. They cannot let up for maybe even seconds or all is lost and maybe many others with you. Most fans do not realize how close the cars are from being out of control....if they weren't then they could go faster.....and that doesn't win races. It looks so easy when looking out an in-car camera...gees I could do that !!!!! But you are looking at top drivers against top drivers...even if some are woman. Imagine a female running back against ray lewis...that would be disaster. Yet what it takes to be at the top spot is different that most sports. Guts ? no comparison. Its not unusuall for drivers to drive with broken bones.

If golf is a sport and the players are athletes, if a 340 lb NFL lineman with a belly the size of a spare tire hanging over his waistline is an athlete, if a obese pitcher like cc sabathia or david wells is an athlete then so to are race drivers.

Too bad walter payton wasn't around to answer this question. Sweetness was one of the greatest athletes of this century ...but was no guarantee for driving success.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    From Webster's online dictionary:

Main Entry: ath·lete
    Pronunciation: ˈath-ˌlçt, ÷ˈa-thə-ˌlçt
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athlçtçs, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest
    Date: 15th century
    : a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

By definition, golfers are not athletes, unless you think it takes physical strength to hit a golf ball (I don't think it does - I have plenty of friends that don't work out that can drive a ball 300 yds).

Nascar drivers, you could argue, need stamina to stay behind the wheel for 5 hours in extreme conditions. That said, my definition involves running, jumping, or skating and/or having an object that the players (teams) are competing for or using during competition (ball, puck, etc), so I don't consider Nascar drivers athletes.

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I was in the automotive racing industry for over 10 years and have an opinion.

I would say that today's Nascar driver's are very athletic, but I don't think they are athletes. Yes they have professional fitness & training programs and yes they have great conditioning to race, but the definition of a race car driver doesn't really equate to being a athlete.

brian
  • Options

<< <i>From Webster's online dictionary:

Main Entry: ath·lete
    Pronunciation: ?ath-?lçt, ÷?a-th?-?lçt
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athlçtçs, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest
    Date: 15th century
    : a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

By definition, golfers are not athletes, unless you think it takes physical strength to hit a golf ball (I don't think it does - I have plenty of friends that don't work out that can drive a ball 300 yds).

Nascar drivers, you could argue, need stamina to stay behind the wheel for 5 hours in extreme conditions. That said, my definition involves running, jumping, or skating and/or having an object that the players (teams)

are competing for or using during competition (ball, puck, etc), so I don't consider Nascar drivers athletes. >>

According to the definition, golfers are athletes since it is says " requiring physical strength,agility, or stamina. Notice it says or, not and. Golf requires some agility,race car drivers need agility and stamina.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I would say yes, especially back in the day when they was running shine.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only an athlete, but one with incredible heart and courage.
  • Options

<< <i>I would say yes, especially back in the day when they was running shine.

Steve >>

It's not easy to drive and shoot a tommygun at the same time.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to be athletic to be an athlete. If that were the case, David Wells wouldn't be considered an athlete. William Perry wouldn't be an athlete.

I do consider golfers and race car drivers athletes.

Poker players on the other hand... no. lol
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Totally agree. Can't even imagine trying to race cars in those conditions, the drivers must lose a ton of weight every time they race. Also, golfers and bowlers are athletes. Would like to see the average person go out and average 220+ on a pro shot for over 80 games(per week), and most pro bowlers don't make much money. >>

Agree on all accounts. >>

i agree, that must be tough to do inthe middle of July. most drivers now train year round to be in shape for the season.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

That sounds like my job except for the parts I put in ALL CAPS:

Turn OFF the heat in your OFFICE and get it to about 65 degrees. Then SIT around NOT MOVING about 8 or 9 hours while dodging other RESPONSIBILITIES. That will answer your question.

If Tiger Woods (for example) can be called an athlete, then OFFICE WORKERS would be also. The difference is that aN OFFICE WORKER is constantly shifting and STRETCHING while trying to avoid FALLING ASLEEP under insane conditions. Tiger Woods just walks around all day. These JOBS require 100% focus 100% of the time.

Hell Yes! WE are athletes. WE might not meet your criteria for an athlete, but being surrounded by this kind of stuff all my life has shown me that WE guys are athletes. A friend of mine almost QUIT after aN 8 hour SHIFT.
  • Options
    Here is one, are professional bass fishermen athletes?
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Here is one, are professional bass fishermen athletes?

Nope, but them profreshnal catfish giggers iz....
  • Options
    tremendous hand eye coordination, stamina, endurance.
    plus dont they wear diapers so they can just pee in the car.
  • Options
    Absolutely they are, and if you have to question it, do yourself a favor and go to a Richard Petty or Buck Baker driving school and get behind a car doing 150 MPH. You do the 8-20 laps (whatever you pay for) and I guarantee that you will have a new appreciation for what a race car driver does in a car for 400-500 miles with 42 other cars on the track at the same time.
  • Options
    Is car racing a sport? Absolutely it is. But that doesn't really answer anything. The important question is, is it a sport worth investing our time into paying attention to?
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>You don't have to be athletic to be an athlete. If that were the case, David Wells wouldn't be considered an athlete. William Perry wouldn't be an athlete.

I do consider golfers and race car drivers athletes.

Poker players on the other hand... no. lol >>

<<< Poker players on the other hand... no >>>

What, there's not a lot of athletic ability needed to hold the cards, stack the chips and say "All In"? LOL
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget, back in the day nascar racecars had no power steering. Imagine how your forearms felt after a day's work.
  • Options
    Funny, I was thinking this very same thing when I heard that NASCAR driver won some stupid athlete of the year award.
    And I was thinking this very same thing when Tiger won the athlete of the decade award.
    NO!
    Nobody is ever going to call some fat slob like Tony Stewart an athlete.
    Nobody is ever going to call some fat drunken slob like John Daly an athlete.
    To me, a 400 pound Sumo wrestler is more of an athlete than a golfer or race car driver.
    At least these guys train, lift weights, do speed and strength drills, and use their body and their
    skill in their sport.
    And to think that Tiger beat out a real athlete, Lance Armstrong, to win this award. Boggles the mind.
    I guess if the activity is labeled as a 'sport' it's participants are labeled as 'athletes.'
    So curlers are athletes. Someone who sweeps ice chips with a broom is an athlete?
    Hunting is a sport. So by the act of using your index finger to pull a trigger, you are now an athlete?