Home Precious Metals
Options

Question about 90% silver and 40% silver.

I've never purchased a significant amount of silver coinage, but the 90% silver and 40% silver is peeking my interest.

My question: What is a fair/good price to pay for 90% and 40% silver, and how do I figure out an amont via silver price fluctuations? US silver coinage made before 1964 is 90% right, what year was the 40% silver made?

Thanks!! image

Comments

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Here is what they are worth at the current price. LINK
    Just scroll to the bottom.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there are a mix of coins a good formula (that I learned on this forum) is:

face value X spot price X .715

If you know the coins that are included (ie. $50 worth of 1964 KEnnedy halves), then this calculator is great.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the other guys said. But remember, don't multiply face x spot x .715 for 40% halves otherwise you'll get burned big time.

Some additional thoughts...

For the reason stated above, you might steer clear of 40% silver unless you've got a specific purpose in mind. It's a pretty sophisticated play in large quantities, and it's also discounted by many if not most buyers when they buy it back. In other words, don't pay anywhere near a premium to buy it, and expect it to be bought from you at less than what it is worth when you sell it.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I agree with Weiss... stay away from the 40% unless it falls into your lap at face or a great price.

A fair price for 90% right now is between 12 to 13 times face.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    Thanks for the calculators, links and formulas. image I've always wondered how silver content is calculated with different sizes and denominations and now I'm a bit more educated!!

Thanks again. image
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    stick with 90% and stay away from 40%.

At the moment 90% is going for 12-13x FV.

I got lucky and picked up 7 90% dimes at the local flea market for $7 recently! Not a super super deal but a great deal nonetheless image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.