Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

If you are selling, Why I have to make an offer?

Hi :

Merry Chritsmas and Happy New Year.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I don't understand the following:

1. If you are selling let me know your price. Why I have to make an offer? Is your merchandise and you can ask the price that you want. If you are selling and ask me for an offer, I understand that you think that I'm a moron and want to take advantage over me.

2. If I'm buying, I let you know my offer. I have to make you and offer, because you aren't selling and I'm interested in the item.

What you think? I'm wrong?

Best regards,

Siramedo

I am always buying 1972 Puerto Rican League Stickers, 1948-49 Toleteros, 1949-50 Toleteros and 1950-51 Toleteros. e-mail pajoyeros@coqui.net

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Agreed.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Word
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Siramedo,
    It is easier to move for a seller if you price items out on the B/S/T board. Many times I have placed items with "make an offer" just to see what activity I might get for it or if I don't know what it should go for. It is very hard to sell on the board because there are guys who just want to look at scans with zero desire to buy. I have had some success in selling to people who frequent the message board and those guys have been great to work with. I also have had experience with guys that are tire kickers and it hacks me off when you go to the trouble of scanning and discussing prices and they don't respond back or are looking for mint cards at a VG value.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with asking for an offer? If you are offended, move on.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer if prices are listed. I also like it when there are scans. But I am not offended when they say "make offer". However I seldom do.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1. If you are selling let me know your price. Why I have to make an offer? Is your merchandise and you can ask the price that you want. If you are selling and ask me for an offer, I understand that you think that I'm a moron and want to take advantage over me. >>

Definitely the same thing with buyers. If you're looking for a card, post something on the BST forum and let everyone know what you're willing to pay for it.
  • Options
    I am not offended when I see "make an offer" because everyone that is interested in the item has a different value that they set on each piece. There is nothing wrong for a seller to want top dollar for their cards. I seldom sell but when I do try to sell my cards I always offer it here on the boards first to help other collectors out.

Shane
  • Options
    I'm a guy who prefers to have the seller provide his price. I rarely make offers on anything. You never know what you are going to get when you make an offer. Is the guy taking advantage of you? Will he get offended if your offer is percieved as too low? I don't need that kind of aggravation. But if it's your stuff then you should have the right to ask for offers if you want to. Just know that it's likely going to reduce the amount of interest in your item.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the make me an offer thing, IMO someone is hoping to get an offer which is more than they really need or expect for a card- There is nothing wrong with that but 9 out of 10 times its a waste of everyones time.

The way I operate when someone tells me to make them an offer is this.. Tell me your bottom line and I will either buy it or not, I wont haggle back & forth or try to lowball you and waste your time.

I cannot stand it when someone trys to lowball me so I never do it to anyone.

I had a card on Ebay last year with a $1400 BIN or BO on it and this guy offers me $600 for it, I politely decline and then get a $900 offer which I quickly shoot down and tell the person my bottom line is $1300 take it or leave it end of discussion. It worked, and the card was sold. I did ask the guy why he bothered with a stupid offer if he was willing to pay what the card was worth? "Well you never know" was his answer, after thinking about it I got a little aggrevated for some reason, hence I never lowball anyone.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it when someone says to make an offer because generally it will lead to them making a counter offer and then I counter again until we come to an agreement or move on if we don't agree on a price.

Basically I like having the option to make an offer. Others may not and that's OK...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with having the option of making an offer. I just don't like it when there is no asking price as a jumping off point.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    On lots I'll usually list them as "make offer" for the first day or so until I figure up the bottom-line cost, then I'll post it (if it's still available). On graded stuff, I usually check VCP and start @ the avg. or close to it. Things sell much faster when you just put the lowest price on it.

I've sold stuff dirt cheap to people that have just offered, alot of the time I just want it gone.

I've also offered VCP avg. (and higher) to people that post "make offer" and immediately got a much higher counter, in these cases I usually just pass.

It's all part of the game and I really don't get worked up about it.

$0.02
  • Options
    I will usually always avoid the make offer ads. I need to know if we are in the same ball park before I waste both of our time. Not a big deal to me if you do not put a price, just most likely I will ignore the ad. The question a seller might ask themselves, is out of a 100, how many do you want to ignore you ad?

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ebay's "best offer" has ticked me off lately.

Most recently, a card I'm interested in was listed at $400, which is much more than I would pay. Well, last night I noticed that it was sold with a best offer of $250!

If I'd have known the seller would go that low, I would've jumped on it. In fact, I would've gone $275. It's just that when I see a price of $400, I feel that I'm insulting the seller if I offer only $275 for it.

The same thing happened about a week or two ago...the seller accepted an offer around 60% of his "selling" price on an item I would have paid more for had I known the seller would go that low.

Make your selling price more closely resemble what you'll accept for the item, and you'll sell more!

Steve
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is not enough info from the OP.

If he is talking about eBay, then I disagree with him because I like the BIN/BO feature as a buyer and seller.

If he is talking about our Buy/Sell/Trade board here at CU where there is a "for sale" thread in which the seller does not list any pricing and just says "if you are interested PM me with offers", then I agree with him 100%.
  • Options
    I would agree that the make an offer on Ebay with the inflated price tag (clearly over VCP) is ludicrous. Speaking for myself and I saw that someone else commented on this as well. I sometimes place make an offer just to move it out of my closet.

SL
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    also agree, I wouldn't list my house for sale and ask people to make an offer, the seller should set a price and the deal goes from there, it can be a firm price with no room, or a high price with room to move but the seller should be setting it.
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my experiences in the past few years, a pattern has emerged for off ebay transactions. The better and rarer the card, the more likely it will be that the seller will say "make me an offer." The tactic is predictable and produces the following scenarios:
    1. The seller hopes for a completely ridiculous offer that exceeds his expectations.
    2. I give the seller a vcp or slightly above quote, or a best guess for very rare cards.
    3. The seller either disengages from the sale completely or replies tersely with "I can't sell you the card for this price."

While we are talking about selling practices, I will also note that the use of "I bought the card for xx so I need to make a profit" or "I bought the card when the canadian exchange was XX and now it's much lower" as lobbying points for a higher price are completely meaningless to me, the buyer. I really don't care.

Nathanael

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I could not agree more with the OP. The world of commerce always works more smoothly if the person who initiates the transaction lists their buy/sell price. If you are the first to express interest in selling, then set a price. If you're a buyer and you make it public that you're looking for a card, then say what you're willing to pay.

On a related note, one thing that drives me up a wall is when Ebayers email me and say 'What's the best price you can give me on 'x'? Or, in essence, 'I'd like to ask you to negotiate against yourself'. If I'm a seller, and I have a price up, a buyer is always welcome to counter, but don't needle around and ask me to give you the price at which I'm indifferent about selling.

Edit to add: If you don't want to initiate with a price but you want a buyer to 'make an offer', there's a method of selling that will accomplish just that. It's called an AUCTION. Anyone who posts in the B/S/T with this 'make offer' BS should acquaint themselves with Ebay. You can run online auctions there- I hear it's really catching on.

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Actually, I see it both ways. No one likes to have a ridiculous offer made on their cards. Most of the time I think the seller should put the card at the bottom line price and then be glad if it's more. But at the same time, you might never know the situation that the seller is in. Sure he probably has a bottom line price, but it may be lower due to his or her situation. Plus like mentioned earlier, it also provides the opportunity of a counter offer. Most of the time that is when both parties win. JMHO.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you don't want to initiate with a price but you want a buyer to 'make an offer', there's a method of selling that will accomplish just that. It's called an AUCTION. Anyone who posts in the B/S/T with this 'make offer' BS should acquaint themselves with Ebay. You can run online auctions there- I hear it's really catching on. >>

• Options

<< <i>If you don't want to initiate with a price but you want a buyer to 'make an offer', there's a method of selling that will accomplish just that. It's called an AUCTION. Anyone who posts in the B/S/T with this 'make offer' BS should acquaint themselves with Ebay. You can run online auctions there- I hear it's really catching on. >>

LOL. I almost posted the exact same thing (only without the sarcastic undertone).
  • Options
    Whether it's dealing in cards or everday business, when I'm faced with the "Make an Offer" situation, I remember Tom Hagen telling Sonny Corleone in the Godfather "It's business Sonny, not personal".
    All the issues in this thread with people worried about insulting a seller, seller not wanting to be taken advantage of, buyers complaining that the seller sold an item lower than what they would have paid, all mean nothng once you take the emotion out the situation. You'll either have a deal or not and then move on.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with "make an offer" I might not really be looking for a card, but if I see one I like, I feel like "what the heck" if he would take x I'll take it, if not, nothing lost.
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whether it's dealing in cards or everday business, when I'm faced with the "Make an Offer" situation, I remember Tom Hagen telling Sonny Corleone in the Godfather "It's business Sonny, not personal".
    All the issues in this thread with people worried about insulting a seller, seller not wanting to be taken advantage of, buyers complaining that the seller sold an item lower than what they would have paid, all mean nothng once you take the emotion out the situation. You'll either have a deal or not and then move on. >>

1000%
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Pretty simple for me. If you are offering something for sale, put a price on it. Anything else is manipulation.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Pretty simple for me. If you are offering something for sale, put a price on it. Anything else is manipulation.

agree 100%
    I am always buying 1972 Puerto Rican League Stickers, 1948-49 Toleteros, 1949-50 Toleteros and 1950-51 Toleteros. e-mail pajoyeros@coqui.net
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I've passed on more than a few items that have been posted with "make an offer." I don't have the time or patience to worry about putting together my best offer and then having the seller haggle, counter or better yet reply that they're insulted.

I used to make fair offers (sometimes higher than VCP and current market) for items that I liked, but in more cases than not, the seller really had no intention of selling unless they got a ridiculous price. Likewise, I typically put prices on what I'm selling and price them fairly and with little wiggle room. If someone wants them, great. If not, they sit.

I don't understand why some have decided to make buying and/or selling such a drawn out process. Just tell me what you need and if it's a price I'm willing to pay, we've got a deal. If you feel the need to squeeze me for another few bucks, just include it in the original offer. I'm not in the mood to chase emails to negotiate.
  • Options

<< <i>I've passed on more than a few items that have been posted with "make an offer." I don't have the time or patience to worry about putting together my best offer and then having the seller haggle, counter or better yet reply that they're insulted.

I used to make fair offers (sometimes higher than VCP and current market) for items that I liked, but in more cases than not, the seller really had no intention of selling unless they got a ridiculous price. Likewise, I typically put prices on what I'm selling and price them fairly and with little wiggle room. If someone wants them, great. If not, they sit.

I don't understand why some have decided to make buying and/or selling such a drawn out process. Just tell me what you need and if it's a price I'm willing to pay, we've got a deal. If you feel the need to squeeze me for another few bucks, just include it in the original offer. I'm not in the mood to chase emails to negotiate. >>

• Options
    I just went to Kroger to pick up some ground beef. There were no prices on anything in the store. I asked the guy behind the meat counter how much the ground beef was, and he told me to make him an offer. I replied that I had no idea how much ground beef was, but since we were having hamburgers for dinner, it would be a good idea for me to purchase some to bring home. He hemmed and hawed a bit, but after five minutes, he still refused to give me a price. I finally offered him a dollar. He rolled his eyes and asked me if I had any idea how much he had invested in that beef? He asked if I knew the current SMR (Sirloin Market Report) or VCP (Vintage Cow Price) price? I had to admit that I did not.

I walked away in shame. We had Macaroni and Cheese for dinner. image
  • Options
    Now that I know it really bugs the snot out of people, I'm only going to list stuff as "make offer". I won't sell anything, but I'll giggle like hell everytime I bump the thread, and I'm gonna bump'em a lot.
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just went to Kroger to pick up some ground beef. There were no prices on anything in the store. I asked the guy behind the meat counter how much the ground beef was, and he told me to make him an offer. I replied that I had no idea how much ground beef was, but since we were having hamburgers for dinner, it would be a good idea for me to purchase some to bring home. He hemmed and hawed a bit, but after five minutes, he still refused to give me a price. I finally offered him a dollar. He rolled his eyes and asked me if I had any idea how much he had invested in that beef? He asked if I knew the current SMR (Sirloin Market Report) or VCP (Vintage Cow Price) price? I had to admit that I did not.

I walked away in shame. We had Macaroni and Cheese for dinner. image >>

That is funny as hell.image
  • Options
    That was pretty funnyimage
  • Options
    The Kroger story sums it up perfectly for the average collector out there. That was great. Thanks.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    If he's selling cow meat, you're better off for having walked away. I prefer steer meat and cow's milk...
  • Options

<< <i>Whether it's dealing in cards or everday business, when I'm faced with the "Make an Offer" situation, I remember Tom Hagen telling Sonny Corleone in the Godfather "It's business Sonny, not personal".
    All the issues in this thread with people worried about insulting a seller, seller not wanting to be taken advantage of, buyers complaining that the seller sold an item lower than what they would have paid, all mean nothng once you take the emotion out the situation. You'll either have a deal or not and then move on. >>

Who takes emotion out of a potential transaction? You want to tell me you've never felt your heart rate go up as you watch the final seconds of an Ebay transaction tick away, and you're still the high bidder. You don't feel butterflies when you walk into a car dealership? The Corleones' silliness aside, all business is personal, no matter how much we wish the opposite were true.

Edit to add: 'Silliness' is a bad word choice, since it sounds needlessly inflammatory. But I still stand by my premise, which is that virtually nothing we do-- much less anything in the world of commerce-- is guided strictly, or even primarily, by analytics.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry you guys will be by passing my listings.

I like to list with a "Make Offer" because:

1. If I know or like you I will likely take less.
    2. If you are buying multiple cards I will discount much more willingly than if you are cherry picking my best card of the group.
    3. As a listing gets ready to close, I can weigh multiple offers and decide who gets the card based on feedback, offer price, and whether or not I've done business with you in the past.
    4. If I'm not that interested in selling a card, but willing to listen if a strong offer that doesn't quite reach my outrageous BIN price.

Bottom line is that I like the flexibility it gives me as a seller and I don't like selling at the absolute minimum an item will sell for. This represents 95% of most auction listings in my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sorry you guys will be by passing my listings.

I like to list with a "Make Offer" because:

1. If I know or like you I will likely take less.
    2. If you are buying multiple cards I will discount much more willingly than if you are cherry picking my best card of the group.
    3. As a listing gets ready to close, I can weigh multiple offers and decide who gets the card based on feedback, offer price, and whether or not I've done business with you in the past.
    4. If I'm not that interested in selling a card, but willing to listen if a strong offer that doesn't quite reach my outrageous BIN price.

Bottom line is that I like the flexibility it gives me as a seller and I don't like selling at the absolute minimum an item will sell for. This represents 95% of most auction listings in my opinion. >>

I think most of us would agree that BIN/BO is a whole different situation then a B/S/T post where you say 'make offer'. In a BIN/BO you HAVE listed a price- you're just making it clear that the price is negotiable. If BIN/BO's with outrageous initial prices were offensive we'd all have to chase down Nick and beat on his kidneys with big sticks.
  • Options

<< <i>.....If BIN/BO's with outrageous initial prices were offensive we'd all have to chase down Nick and beat on his kidneys with big sticks. >>

Thank God they are both still working pretty good. Knock on wood. image
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    LOL ... there was a time in my youth I worked for Krogers.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Who takes emotion out of a potential transaction? You want to tell me you've never felt your heart rate go up as you watch the final seconds of an Ebay transaction tick away, and you're still the high bidder. You don't feel butterflies when you walk into a car dealership? The Corleones' silliness aside, all business is personal, no matter how much we wish the opposite were true.

In my younger years I was known for my fiery temper. It took me many years to realize that my emotions worked against me in my business and personal dealings. Once I put my faith in just analyzing a deal I became a much better trader and business person. My health also improvedimage
    Even when a deal lost me money, I wouldn't get upset. I would go back and try to see what I missed and learned from my mistake.
    So to answer your question, No, my heart rate doesn't go up in the final seconds of an Ebay auction or when I walk into a car dealership. I Know what I want to pay and don't pay any more than that.

I also didn't take your silliness comment as inflammatory (even before your retraction), I just took it as your opinion. That's what these boards are for...stating our opinions.

I do agree with your statement that a BIN/BO is a different situation than posting "Make me an offer" on the B/S/T board. But even than, we have the choice to respond or move on. It's just not worth worrying over.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I'm jumping in at the end of this and to be honest haven't read all the comments BUT what is wrong with posting your price with a simple statement added such as "or make an offer and we can go from there"? Seems to make everyone happy....but I know exactly what would occur, so here I go: Someone will post a response ridiculing how high/or low the price quoted was and then there will be an avalanche of counter stories about how high/or low the posted price was.....Oh well I better shut up before I offend someone....al.
  • Options

<< <i>Seems to make everyone happy....but I know exactly what would occur, so here I go: Someone will post a response ridiculing how high/or low the price quoted was and then there will be an avalanche of counter stories about how high/or low the posted price was. >>

Some of the high/low banter is a by-product of being on a message board. If someone doesn't want unwanted feedback on their pricing, then they can always just sell their cards on eBay.

There is a tendency on CU (and other public message boards) to try and keep sellers in line with what is perceived as market pricing (i.e., VCP). Whether that's to protect other members from predatory prices or just to rattle the seller's cage, I'm not sure. It's probably a little of both.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Seems to make everyone happy....but I know exactly what would occur, so here I go: Someone will post a response ridiculing how high/or low the price quoted was and then there will be an avalanche of counter stories about how high/or low the posted price was. >>

Some of the high/low banter is a by-product of being on a message board. If someone doesn't want unwanted feedback on their pricing, then they can always just sell their cards on eBay.

There is a tendency on CU (and other public message boards) to try and keep sellers in line with what is perceived as market pricing (i.e., VCP). Whether that's to protect other members from predatory prices or just to rattle the seller's cage, I'm not sure. It's probably a little of both. >>

I guess it would be best to be close to the VCP price on your initial post....maybe that's the correct answer. Haven't joined VCP in past, maybe I will have to check it out again. How much is it now to join, anyone know??

Would they be able to give a quote for a NM/MT 1978 Topps football set for example?? thanks al.
  • Options
    $12.99 per month for the Silver Membership, $19.99 per month for the Gold
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

There is a tendency on CU (and other public message boards) to try and keep sellers in line with what is perceived as market pricing (i.e., VCP). Whether that's to protect other members from predatory prices or just to rattle the seller's cage, I'm not sure. It's probably a little of both. >>

I guess it would be best to be close to the VCP price on your initial post....maybe that's the correct answer. Haven't joined VCP in past, maybe I will have to check it out again. How much is it now to join, anyone know??

Would they be able to give a quote for a NM/MT 1978 Topps football set for example?? thanks al. >>

• Options

<< <i>$12.99 per month for the Silver Membership, $19.99 per month for the Gold >>

Gold is only $17.99 per month, and $179.90 for 12 months - which can be viewed as 2 months free, or $14.99 per month for all 12 months (whichever way you want to look at it).
  • Options
    Thanks for the correction, my memory sucks at times.
  • Options
    My 2 cents:

I think that for any item with a pretty well established value - let's say a 1975 George Brett PSA 8 for example - a price should be asked/stated - it is relatively easy to find/verify what a range of price has been/should be for such a card. I think the "make an offer" proposition lends itself more to items with a less clearly established value - T 206 Wagner - PSA 8 for example. I wonder if the guy who paid 2.1 million for it made the offer or if it was priced at that?? As stated earlier in this thread, it is ultimately up to the sellers and buyers to only deal in a manner comfortable to them, don't like a seller/buyer or they manner in whcih they conduct themeselves or their business - don't do business.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I like the make an offer as a seller , it allows me to negotiate on the side, cut ebay fees , set up financing , etc. . that said , I use it mostly for things that do not have established values. things you can find every day I jsut put a price on it.