Home Metal Detecting
Options

Only one find for November, but a beauty!

I haven't had much time to detect since purchasing a White's V3 in October. I got out a few times when I first got it and found some silver. A few Rosies and a few Mercuries, but nothing spectacular.

November was coming to an end and with the temp heading toward 60 degrees, I had to get out. I hit a spot near my home that had given up the silver coins mentioned, and also a few keepers found earlier this year with my DFX.

After ground balancing the V3, I started to detect a very trashy area so I moved to a cleaner area. I was almost immediately greeted with a penny signal. Hoping for a Wheatie, I dug my first hole of the day. I carefully removed the plug and waved the search coil over it. I had it in the plug. I took out my Vibraprobe and found the spot in the dirt that it was under. I cleared the dirt and saw the large copper disk. At first I thought it was a button, but then I flipped it over and said to myself,"No way!!!" It was a King George Halfpenny from the early to mid 1770's!!! It is only my second KG counterfeit in identifiable condition. I dig a lot of these, but most are toast.

I hope to get one more hunt in at the site before the year ends.

Enjoy the pic!

Comments