Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Thoughts on the 56 Topps set

I'm thinking of starting the 56 Topps BB set (mostly raw) since it has a manageable number of cards and I've got 14 graded HOFr's from that set.

Is there anything I should know about that set before I start, like particularly tough cards?

Thanks for any info!

"Molon Labe"

Comments

• SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    213 Tigers Team is a tough one.

So is 253 Irv Noren
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Mark,

It's a great set - go for it. I decided to keep mine raw as I love holding those cards in my hands.
    I didn't have any trouble with supply on any of the cards and was able to complete the set relatively easily in what I would consider Ex condition cards.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Raw is the way to go with the high dollar cards bought already graded.

Good luck!

I did my 55 set this way.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Great set I've always like the 55 and 56 Sets.
    Good luck with the chase. What overall grade would you be going for?
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    What overall grade would you be going for?

No particular grade, but I'm thinking around 6 in terms of quality, and I've seen gorgeous 4's and 5's, even 3's, that in a binder would look like 8's.

"Molon Labe"

Side

IMO going after cards that are 4's and 5's if slabbed is a pretty good idea as long as they are centered.

these cards were gems when new and over the years they accuired 3 or 4 touched corners.

Those are the cards I'd try to buy.

Finding such cards from 1956 is no easy task though.

If it was later you could buy lots and pick and choose, with 56's you might have to scour shows, ebay dealer web sites for the example that you

want. Another thing you could do is buy slabbed 4's and 5's and crack them out. 4's might be tuff but 5's are out there.

again good luck and have fun.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Go for it.................Roughly 34 HOF'ers, and really only the Mantle being ultra hi-dollar card.......... i considered building that set at one time myself. Good Luck and enjoy your set!
    The only thing about that set that made me not want to complete it was the different colored backs

on cards 1 through 180. They also if I am not mistaken have 3 or 4 team cards that have varieties too.

Will you be doing both white and grey? Or just one, or a mix?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    It's a great set with the horizontal format and the selection of stars. The checklists are tough and some come in three different variations. There is a thread with pics and a bunch of info on the 56 set on the Set Registry board.

Jeff
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts -

I find that 56's absorb much more punishment and come out looking nice, as compared to 55's. So you can put a nice looking PSA 4/5 range set together. However, be careful not to compare the two, because you'll find yourself wanting to do the 55 set instead. image

I am putting a set together with all gray and white backs and team variations in PSA 5/6 range, with some nicer. Almost everything was acquired in 50, 100 and 200 card lots for about 75 cents/card. Very reasonable IMO.

Centering is not really an issue with the 56s. There are only a few that are more often o/c, like the Rance Pless hi nunber.

The checklists have come down in price. You can pick up a nice PSA 4/5 Mick for $500 or less.

Team cards are getting expensive in PSA 7 and higher.

A very nice set w/checklists and some variations sold for $2000 BIN about two months back. I'm kicking myself for not jumping on it.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm thinking of starting the 56 Topps BB set (mostly raw) since it has a manageable number of cards and I've got 14 graded HOFr's from that set.

Is there anything I should know about that set before I start, like particularly tough cards?

Thanks for any info! >>

1) It is one of the most appealing sets ever produced by Topps
    2) You will love looking at these cards... perhaps even daily
    3) You will get completely addicted to this set

Okay, well, at least thats what has happened to me! I've worked on this set on-and-off for probably 10 years... twice, nearly completing nice raw sets. The first effort got broken up and sold off 7 years ago when I was building a stash of cash to buy my first house. My second effort, nearly 80% complete, I sold off at the National this past year.

Now I am on my third go around... but this time I'll be going the PSA graded route... simply looking for PSA 3 to PSA 7 cards, with a focus on eye appeal and best value for the money... with any luck, I'll work on this set until the day comes when I've completed it, upgraded it, etc... so that I end up with a set rated at least 7.00!

Best of luck on your efforts... It's a beauty!!!
  • judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 995 ✭✭✭
    One of my favorite sets. I am upgrading mine at this time and am trying to get 4-5 type cards. I, too, have many of the HOFers graded. One thing you'll have to decide is whether to get the checklists or not and whether to try to get all team card variations. Good luck.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

There are other variations, rarely mentioned having to do with colored print lines around the player and team name boxes. This is more of a printing issue than mistake, but it impacts some high profile cards including the Williams and Wynn.

Personally, I don't count them as variations. But for completists, its a must have.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Great questions, just what I was looking for. Especially re: white backs vs grey backs. I'm not really interested in the variations.

This would be a set just for my own enjoyment, so I'm thinking the goal will be to complete it regardless of the backs. Would that be a mistake?

Thanks for the GREAT questions!

"Molon Labe"

• jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Sidepocket,

I am collecting a graded set and the back color differences to me are just no big deal at all. I just wouldn't even worry about it and find the best card regardless of what color the back is. The other thing to note is that the white backs from 101 -180 are almost impossible to find anyway...at least in PSA slabs.

Jeff

PS...happy to help with low pops etc if needed.
    I'd find the best centered card regardless of color of back.

So, no it would not IMO be a mistake.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • First year with no Bowman, so oldest set with every star from the year, I think

No big rookies to cost a lot (a plus for me, a negative for others)

Checklists can be costly, one way around it is to buy them already marked for not too much -- which makes sense since you would just going to mark them anyway as you go along, right?

The action photo in the background makes them one of the very few sets from the 50s that is at least a little more than just "Pictures of Men." Some call it a ripoff of '55, with the playing field instead of the solid color, I call it an improvement
    Tom
    Funny I'm the opposite I feel they are too busy and prefer the 55 set.

The only negative is the 55 set has no Mantle while the 56 set does. (negative for the 55 set)

Plus I was born that year.

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>Funny I'm the opposite I feel they are too busy and prefer the 55 set.

The only negative is the 55 set has no Mantle while the 56 set does. (negative for the 55 set)

>>

I was glad I didnt have to shell big $$ for a Yankee! I agree with the busy backgrounds of 56 and chose the 55's
  • judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 995 ✭✭✭
    Several years ago, a friend of mine and I bought a collection with 1955 and 1956 Topps. As we divided them up, I went for the 1956's. I love the action shots in the background that you don't get with the 1955's. I also like the backs of the 1956's better than the backs of the 1955's. Granted, the 1955 set has Koufax, Clemente, and Killebrew rookies. But, the 1956 set has Mantle. Also, the 1956 set has 340 cards, whereas the 1955 set has 206 cards. Musial is not, of course, in either set.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

The 56 set is beautiful.I have owend mine since the mid 80s and decided to have some graded recently plus I just sent my Mantle in.I was rather dissapointed at the grades.Do not go by the color of these cards as my scanner is quite not bring out the true colors of the cards nevertheless it is what it is.these 4 cards seemed rather flawless full gloss both front and backs maybe some centering issues.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
    I still think the 55 Set is the best looking set Topps ever made. Even better than 53's.