Home Metal Detecting

Probably last hunt of the year - two milestones hit

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Unless we get a heat wave, my guess is the snow is now here to stay. I got out yesterday for a few hours. Started off dry and when I finally left, the ground was snow covered. There's now an inch or so covering and the forecast does not call for any 60 degree weather, so I think I might just end my season on a good note.

Started out the day needing 8 wheats and 2 silver coins to hit some new goals for the year (goals will be posted in a 2009 year-end summary coming later today). Found my first wheat after about a half hour. Since there were still quite a few that I still needed, I went off the beaten path. Started finding one or two here and there, but still no silver. Took an old path, and quickly found another wheat, then the buffalo (dateless). After another half hour I got a signal. Started off with a Lincoln Memorial and a wheat in the same hole. But that wasn't it... kept digging and found a 2nd wheat. But still one more signal. I get in and dig with my hands... out pops the Merc!

At that time I was pretty sure I had my wheat quota, but was still one silver coin short. Since the snow was coming down, I drove north where the snow hadn't reached yet. Was detecting with no clear path when I got a very clear signal. This was an area I know I covered before so it must have been something recently dropped. I dig a plug, but the signal is still there. Take another few inches out and it's free. Figured it was a clad roosevelt still, but it after locating it, it looks silver! Took it to the car to wash off, it's a Barber dime. Quite the shock since I know I covered that area before. Gave the hunt a few more minutes and by that time the ground was covered with snow, plus it was getting dark, so it was time to go. I had reached my goals and was happy.

Upon cleaning the Barber I had trouble seeing the last digit... was 190?. I'm pretty sure it's a 1904. Do you think it could be from a grease-filled die? Every other letter and digit are clearly readable.

I know I'm rambling, but this is my last story for the year. Ended with 9 wheats, one 1948 canadian cent, one buffalo nickel, and 2 silver dimes - 1943 and 1904.

Happy Hunting to all of you who still have bare ground!

Comments

• Nice dime, did you scrape it with the digger?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice dime, did you scrape it with the digger? >>

The barber and merc were not scratched with the digger. The merc has some hairlines from the dirt caused by my digging with my hands, and the barber came out really dirty, but without any scratches. I tried cleaning them both with a moist toothpick and that got some of the dirt off, but both the merc and barber now look a little "streaky" as only some of the excess dirt is still there. I suppose continued cleaning would help, as the toothpick did not cause any additional damage to the metal.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are real good finds for hunting in the snow. It's a bummer that you had to call it a day when you were on a roll like that.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great finds and nice wrap for the year. Cheers, RickO