Home Metal Detecting
Options

Detector Recomendation for a YN???

Can you guys recomend a detector for me?

Under 300 dollars

I'm a YN and i plan to start my detection career at the beach, but i will move on to better places, so I don't want some kiddie detector.

To my understanding Garret and Bounty Hunter are the best brands but there are so many different detectors and I don't know what is good.

It doesn't need to tell me what kind of metal it is, but it would be nice if it told me how far down it is.

any info as well as links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cheddy

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, you left out White's, as the world's leading MD company with the high end Spectra V3 now available. Never mind that... you are looking for an entry level detector for the beach... if you will NOT go into wet sand or water, the Ace 250 will fill the bill nicely.. at around $200+. depending on the dealer (I would recommend Kellyco). If you want to do the wet sand and water, then it will cost a tad more... call Kellyco and talk to their adivisors or look at their website.. they have a comparison chart on there. Good luck.. HH RickO
  • Options
    CheddyCheddy Posts: 411 ✭✭
    thanks for the advice.

I have one question though, is the Ace 250 a good detector for anything other then the beach? if i wanted to go to some other sites would it be good or would i need a different one?
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of good brands out there:

White's
    Garrett
    Fisher
    Minelab
    Tesero (spelling?)

You may want to take a stroll over to TreasureNet and search the forums there as well as contacting Kellyco for more information.

Also, if you ask 10 people what detector to buy, you will get 10 different detectors. When I was searching for mine, I started with a list of about 5 possibilities. I then searched treasurenet for opinions on those detectors, and even searched for videos on YouTube for the detectors I was interested. Once I was down to two or three, I just about ended up closing my eyes and picking one out of a hat. One detector will be great with one thing, but lacking in another. Detector B will lack what detector A excels in, but excels where A lacks. So there may be no 100% clear choice as several may be front-runners.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ace is great for dirtfishing (searching inland), beach hunting - only the dry sand. Basically, what pcgs69 said is true... different detectors excel at different things. The high end detectors are more versatile, but still have some degree of specialization. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I have found it to be true that the 250 doesn't work so well in wet sand but dry sand is very good.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    This post is a little over a year old and have to admit I like the Ace 250 much more now than when I checked it out for my girlfriend... Learning the machine is a boon regardless of the make or model.
    Old post on Ace 250
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    Check out for Bounty Hunter, cobra or titan....

I have used Titan and works really great...