Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1973 Topps Blue Team Checklists Added To 1973 Team Sets

I just noticed that all of the 1973 Topps Blue Team checklists have been added to the 1973 Team sets. (Except for the Expos and Padres which have no team set.) All of my 1973 Team sets that were sitting at 100% dropped to less and required an additional card. I only noticed this when I won an auction for the remaining Blue Team checklists I was missing for my sets. Only 2 teams previously had the blue checklists associated with the team set.

Does anyone know when this happened? I never received an email asking if it was OK to add the checklist to the 1973 Team set!

Cheers,
Michael (MrG)
Michael Gaytan (MrG)
TGF Collection
TGF Sports

Comments

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Seems wrong. It doesn't feel all that different from including the 1968 Topps Game card of Mickey Mantle in the 1968 Topps Yankees Team set. The '73 blue team checklists were a bonus insert in the packs and not part of the 660 card set.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    bob - were they inserted 1 per pack, randomly but at the same rate as other cards, or randomly and more scarce than other cards?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael,

I know how this happened. I have team sets in both Football and Baseball for 1973 and 1974 Topps. For both years and in each sport Topps included a Team checklist card. For the 1973 and 1974 Football Team sets PSA has always included the team checklist cards. I sent PSA an email asking why were they included for football and not for baseball. I asked (for consistency sake) that they should either remove the football checklists or add the baseball checklists. PSA chose to add the baseball checklists.

Phil
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the disclosure Phil. I also believe that they should have either been in all of the team sets or none. It was frustrating earlier to have them in a couple of sets, as I did not have the checklist, so those few sets were not 100%. I guess I could look at it as it was advantageous that they were not included at the time, but now that I have them all graded the point is moot. I guess PSA made a command decision to have them all included.

Nick, My understanding of the 1973 baseball checklists is that they were offered in some packs of the last series or two in some areas of the country. For me when I was spending lawn mowing and paper route money in the DFW area, they were not included in baseball, but I received them in nearly every 1973 football pack I purchased.

Regardless, they are VERY difficult to find in NR-MT or better.

Cheers,
    Michael
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nick, My understanding of the 1973 baseball checklists is that they were offered in some packs of the last series or two in some areas of the country. >>

That's my understanding as well. It definitely feels like a different set to me. Oh well, PSA has never been inclined to call me to get my opinion before making decisions. image
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Michael,

did psa have incorrect contact information or something?
    even after they made the "corporate" decision,
    they should've contacted each set registry member,
    the least of which being the 100% complete set registrants,
    to give each of you the 911.

to augment the set & add scarce additions to boot is
    collateral damage truly speaking.

sorry to hear & i hope you get some sense of things sooner than later.

J
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    @Julen,

This thread must have gotten buried rather quickly as I missed it in '09, and only found it by doing a search on BLUE.

PSA does have my correct contact information, however as Nick stated above I believe they chose to make a corporate decision and include them as they had in the 73 & 74 Team Football sets.

That being said, for anyone wishing to build this set or add to their 73 Topps Baseball team sets, I have 15 of the 24 1973 Topps Blue Team Checklists for sale ending this coming Sunday at this LINK.

Cheers,
    Michael
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports