Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Very Colorful 1840 ND H10C!*Grade Revealed 1st Post*

Comments

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Nice looking coin! Fits right in with the rest of your collection that I can remember.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    MS 60?

nice pic
  • Options
    Very nice......put me in the "like a lot" column image

MS63
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Lady Liberty looks like she's ready to spit out a mouthful of mouthwash.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    I really like this look on Seated coins.

Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    When I look at your lovely half dime, I see not only an attractive coin, but also a specific die marriage which just begs to be attributed; it is a curse that we die marriage collectors learn to live with. Your coin appears to be an example of the Valentine V5, based upon the Shield Point (SP) placement, over the right half of the 8 in the date. The V5 is the only 1840 (P) half dime with the shield point that far to the right. However, the specific alignment of the four date numerals relative to the dentils below do not seem to align precisely with my notes.

I have been trying to assemble a complete collection of all of the 1840 half dimes, which include at least eight (8) die marriages from the Philadelphia Mint, and fully ten (10) die marriages from the New Orleans Mint. I completed that collection several years ago, but I am now trying to upgrade them all to high AU - low mint state grades, and it is proving to be quite difficult. My present best 1840 V5 is MS-63, but some of the better New Orleans die marriages are extremely elusive in higher grade; some of mine are no better than EF, and the 1840 V1 is proving to be the most difficult, with my best coin only a VF-35.

I would venture a guess for your coin at AU-55, although I do not like to grade a three dimensional object from a two dimensional image. Very nice coin, no matter what.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realize (based on the design of Miss LIBERTY) that it can't be, but that last digit sure looks like a 9 to my eyes.

Maybe it's the lighting, maybe it's the plastic, but every time I look, I see a mid-digit loop rather than a 0!
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I see what you are seeing, LanLord, but as you state, the No Drapery design was dramatically changed later in the year, and all 1849 half dimes are of the Robert Ball Hughes design. It appears that the mottled toning is causing the anomolies you see in the 0 of the date, making it appear like a 9.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU55/8
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice. image MS-64*

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks as if it spent a year immersed in goose feces. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file