Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found a neat one... Comments please 1966 SMS Kennedy DDO

I recently purchased a large batch of mint sets... all without packaging... image but here is the bright side... I get to crack out the ones I want.

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Comments

• Options

Nice find, I found one myself a while back....the hair and the ear are also doubled......image
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

I believe they are listed in the CPG..I think that there are a couple different ones .here are a couple pics I took when I found mine...again nice find!

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I saw a recent one sell in a PCGS 66 Holder for a little north of $110.00... is it worth getting slabbed or just better off selling it raw?
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    Nice coin
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    There are at least 24 different 1966 Kennedy coins with a Doubled Profile so finding one will eventually happen if you look but finding the right one can prove to be difficult.

Congrats on the find!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the find.

I had good luck a few years back and while at a local B&M shop I found two 1966 SMS Sets that contained DDO halves. The kicker is that both DDO halves are Cameo with proof like fields and frosty white devices. They are two of my best cherrypicks ever.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking DDO.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sumarado, that is a very nice, distinct, DDO.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    NICE!image I Like the pics too.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw a recent one sell in a PCGS 66 Holder for a little north of $110.00... is it worth getting slabbed or just better off selling it raw? >>

At that price it would have to be the FS 13.8 or whatever they are calling it today. VP-002 and FS-101 now I believe. The rest are considered minor DDO's. Yea, they are pretty pronounced but there are a lot of DD's for that year.

I can't remember who it was here that helped me out on one. I sent a few to him, he verified one was the right one, sent it in and got a 67 out of it. Man was that cool!
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are over 30 different doubled die obverses for this date. That would include regular business strikes as well as the SMS coins. Some of the business strikes show identical doubling to the SMS coins which would indicate that the SMS dies were consequently used for regular issue coins once they were no longer suitable for SMS production-just as with proofs-i.e. the wide AM cents and the Type B quarters among others.

The profile doubling, which is somewhat common in and of itself without additional doubling on LIBERTY, the date, and/or the motto may be the result of a doubled working hub. The differentiation from die to die is determined by the doubling on the motto. The best of these is Die #19-the one you show SUMORADA. It's not only very strong but also quite scarce. Another nice die is #13, which is much more common but still nice and strong.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find.
    Sumorada, your photography skills are sublime!
  • Options
    TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭

<< <i>I can't remember who it was here that helped me out on one. I sent a few to him, he verified one was the right one, sent it in and got a 67 out of it. Man was that cool! >>

Not only did it grade 67...it's also a nice early die state coin image
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't remember who it was here that helped me out on one. I sent a few to him, he verified one was the right one, sent it in and got a 67 out of it. Man was that cool! >>

Not only did it grade 67...it's also a nice early die state coin image >>

I was just about to reply to this thread because I remembered who had helped me out!
    TwinCam is the master of the 66 DDO as far as I'm concerned. Anyhow, I forgot to check this last night and can't see the photos from work so I can't tell you if it's the right DD. Has anyone verified if this is the right one that is worth mula?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file