Home Precious Metals
Options

Is This a Fair Deal?

One quarter ounce AGE's are in short supply locally and when available command a very high premium. A local B&M has several US $5 Modern Commerative Coins both Proof and Uncirculated in the original mint capsule but without any mint boxes or packaging. They offered to sell them to me for $10 over spot. According to research I have done, the gold weight of each coin appears to be 0.242 troy oz. The B&M has the constitution (Proof and Unc), and Olympic (Seoul) (Proof and Unc). Is their offer fair. How recognizable are these coins when I go to sell and how much over or under spot might I expect to receive. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Planchet

Comments

• Options
    Those are very commonly traded at melt value. No real "deal" at $10 over, but gold is gold. I personally dislike them because of the lack of weight/fineness on the coins. Others love them because its one of the cheapest ways to add to their gold stacks.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I like the 1/2oz gold .9999 spouse series on BST for spot delivered.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>I like the 1/2oz gold .9999 spouse series on BST for spot delivered. >>

If you wanted to purchase something smaller than 1/2 Oz. would you consider the $5 Modern Commerative coins or something else?

Planchet
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Probably ASE's or Buff's. I like to buy for resale-bullion that is. Purity stamped on coin is a plus. JMO
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Get the $5 Modern Commerative it has lots of cool designs unlike other bullion coins. I mean the eagle,K-rand and panda's are old to me and not very exciting. I'd make sure I'd get the box and COA or a graded one. No box and papers should be discounted and you can pick these types of coins off Ebay cheap and sometimes get a box for $5 or $10 dollars.

I'd say $5 and $10 classic gold is another good way to collect but these prices seem to be way over spot at present. JMO