Home Sports Talk
Options

Congrats Derek Jeter: SI's Sportsman Of The Year

It's been a good week or so since we've had a Jeter bashing thread, so this should provide a little fuel for the fire. What a year for The Captain, congrats Derek!!

Edit: correct link here.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well deserved.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Jeter is a great ambassador for the sport, as well as a great player.
  • Options
    who could argue with this?

small minded haters thats who! image
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I think your link is broken.
  • Options
    Opps!

Thanks TheVon.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    In a landscape where no athlete in a team sport truly stood out, I guess Jeter is as deserving as anyone.

Personally, I would have given it to Federer for accomplishing the career Grand Slam, and breaking the record for most Grand Slam titles.
  • Options
    Nothing more than a dying format (the magazine) desperately trying to move issues...Jeter is more or less deserving than anyone else out there. But comical the article starts off stating its about on and off the field accomplishments, then discusses nothing that was done off the field to deserve the award.
  • Options

<< <i>But comical the article starts off stating its about on and off the field accomplishments, then discusses nothing that was done off the field to deserve the award. >>

You should know the full article doesn't come out until tomorrow, that was a preview. The bulk of the criteria should be whatever produces the best story. I'll withhold judgement until next week
    Tom
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    clearly ....... we have a runner up.

• Options

<< <i>clearly ....... we have a runner up.

image >>

the pure essence of a GOLD DIGGER

what else can she see in him but money signs?>

guy is ugly, has no personality, no humor...a pure money making machine....even their kid is funny looking...

that is why she hasnt divorced him this week!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, what a disappointment -- I thought Barak Obama would be SI sportsman of the year. image
  • Options
    After reading the article, my thoughts: Horrible choice. Most boring Sportsman article I can remember -- think the first one I read was in 1991. In some ways it's a major compliment to Jeter to say it was so boring, works hard, good relationship with his family, can actually handle dating super models without anything more than a photograph ending up in the tabloids. Overall, by far the worst double issue I can remember as well

Tough that the NFL season gets broken up so perfectly by the calendar change because amost certain the Super Bowl QB would be extremely deserving also
    Tom
  • Options
    Brock Lesnar would have been a good choice, though it might be best to save the first MMA fighter for someone who puts together a truly dominant 12 months

Definitely a weak year for great sports figures. I'll take Pacquiao as my pick for 2010
    Tom
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Geez, what a disappointment -- I thought Barak Obama would be SI sportsman of the year. image >>

I heard he had watched a couple of games . He should have won ALL the awards , based on his past winning credentials .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note , I wonder if Fandango and STM will bring a lawsuit for defamation .
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell