Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

should seller leave feedback first ?

There is much discussion about ebay - what is protocol and what is customary ...

In my years of dealing with ebay, it was always the seller who left feedback one they were paid. The buyer would subsequently leave feedback when the item arrived.

If a seller REFUSED to leave feedback after being paid - and insisted that the buyer leave feedback FIRST ... what impression does that give ?

Why would you leave feedback after you have been paid unless you were expecting NEGATIVE feedback ? I cannot see an honest seller having to do this.

edit: to correct that seller REFUSED to give feedback FIRST.

Comments

• Options
    As the seller, I always leave feedback once payment is received within the timeline (usually 7 days) that is stated in the auction. Having listed the item accurately with pictures and charging a fair shipping price, it really gives the buyer no ligitament reason to leave a negative. Although, I understand there are individuals who just are simply hard to please or like to complain, it's my hope that they will be satisfied with the transaction.
  • Options

If a buyer REFUSED to leave feedback after being paid - and insisted that the buyer leave feedback FIRST ... what impression does that give ?

I think you meant to say if a seller refused...

I always laeve feedback for a buyer as I ship an item.....seems to make the most sense to me.
    Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options
    As a seller, I always leave FB first. Out of several hundred transactions, I have never received a negative. Over the past year I have received exactly two low DSR scores (A 1 or 2) and a smattering of 4's. All my DSR's are at 4.9 and above Ebay seller averages for DSR's. I can live with those FB scores.

I believe that a seller giving FB first leads to happy repeat customers.
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • Options
    Since all the eBay changes about a year ago sellers should always leave feedback first. Before the changes sellers were better off responding to feedback.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    I agree with these assessments. (thanks 2cardguys for the correction)

I thought it raised a red flag.

Thanks for the input - it usually comes from participants who have good feedback.

cheers
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Since a seller cannot leave negative feedback, there is no reason for a seller not to leave feedback first as soon as payment is received or upon shipment of the item. I leave positive feedback as I am printing the shipping labels.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a seller I leave feedback as soon as I get paid, I also give the date of shipping in feedback as well.

As a buyer I leave feedback as soon as I receive the item I bought.
  • Options
    the transaction is not complete until the buyer receives the item. When that happens i leave feedback. As a buyer when i get something in the mail, i leave feedback, and i dont beg for it like a dog from the seller. Folks get their panties in a twist over stupid things.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>Since a seller cannot leave negative feedback, there is no reason for a seller not to leave feedback first as soon as payment is received or upon shipment of the item. I leave positive feedback as I am printing the shipping labels. >>

That is exactly how I do it.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the transaction is not complete until the buyer receives the item. >>

That is true but it has no bearing on why the seller should not leave feedback for the buyer's payment being that the buyers obligation to the seller has been completed.

You're still doing the old "feedback hostage" thing which does not work for the seller any longer.
  • Options
    Well, it's not a big deal - I was just wondering if it threw up a "red flag" when a seller would take this stance.

I will let it go. The HUN in me just wants to crush anything that smells of rip-off ...

I will try to embrace the holiday spirit - no more violence until 2010.

cheers
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    As a buyer I like that I can't receive neutral or negative retaliatory feedback anymore, as a seller it's a different story. I've always and will always leave feedback as soon as I get paid, I've had Ebay tell me I should wait. I don't like to have to fish (send request) to return feedback but it seems that's how most sellers operate. Because of the feedback changes a seller can't do anything anymore so you might as well make the good will gesture and leave feedback immediately.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Since sellers can no longer leave negative feedback it really does not matter anymore.

When sellers were able to leave it some sellers thought (perhaps rightly so) that a transaction was

not complete until the buyer had the item in hand and was satisfied, not simply when the buyer paid.

Depending on the buyer, I was in both camps, (not that I would leave a retalitory neg) but simply because

I was not about to leave someone a positive simply because they had paid. I wanted the buyer to receive

the item and either email me that all was ok or leave feedback stating so. For repeat customers I would generally leave it

after payment, knowing that if a problem did exist they would have emailed me about it.

Today I generally just leave it after payment.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Good question Hun, I've been thinking about this myself.

A lot of my feedback is from HALF.COM transactions (which appear in the eBay feedback) For Half.com the buyer automatically pays, but most of the buyers have little to zero feedback and don't understand the condition guidlines of the site (CD's which have some scratches go under "good" for example). I received a neutral a few years ago from a buyer with little feedback to his name which said "no mention of scratched disk" I would much rather have given the guy a full refund, plus shipping, AND let him have kept that CD than to have that neutral. What really ticked me off was that I had already gave him his feedback score.

So there has always been a side of me that says there is more on the buyers half than only paying for an item, especially when the system (HALF.COM) or myself (through Automatic Payment) force the buyer to pay at time of checkout.

Also, for me, the transaction is over when the customer is happy. I know they are happy, or not, when they leave feedback. This doesn't keep me from giving the buyer feedback first, sometimes it just takes me awhile to get to it. I don't know why but every computer I try to leave feedback on, the computer gets really slow...my experience with eBay's feedback page/system has not been a good one, and this makes it harder for me to physically leave feedback.

perkdog - not saying anything bad about you as I am sure you're a top-notch seller, but personally I don't like it when a seller puts in MY feedback space when THEY shipped the item. There is a place for that under "My eBay" and I really don't appreciate when sellers do this. It just gives me a bad feeling like they are showing others how great THEIR service is "wow this guy bought that item on 1/18/09 and it was shipped 1/19/09! way to go seller!" It's kind of like SPAM in my feedback.

Patrick
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the transaction is not complete until the buyer receives the item.

That may be true but if the seller is paid in a timely manner he should be happy and leave appropriate feedback. If the card does not arrive or is shipped poorly then the buyer should leave appropriate feedback. Am I to think that it is my responsibility to be happy with crappy service and expect a false positive if I say something to the contrary?
    I leave feedback when I receive a card whether or not it was left for me. I believe I am still waiting on a couple hundred feedbacks. In the overall picture its not that big a deal. Also I believe some large dealers have an automated feedback delivery system.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    It does not bother me when they note when shipped, but to each his own. BTW you can tell as much or more about a seller by the feedback they leave for others.

Ralph

• Options
    Brick, I agree and I leave feedback when I have the time to (usually right before I list my items for the week I'll leave feedback for the previous week) and don't hold feedback hostage to buyers. As a buyer, I leave feedback when the item arrives and if I am happy. If the seller messed up somehow I always give them a chance to correct the problem. Depending on how severe the error and the willingness to correct, I'll leave feedback appropriately or none at all.

it's only a matter of time before some kid at eBay comes up with the new category under the five-star system "Did seller leave feedback in a timely manner"
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i think the buyer should leave it first when the transaction has been completed to both parties satisfaction
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    going off topic a bit,what % of your transactions do you receive feedback on.I leave feedback for every transaction but get feedback only 70% of the time! is that about avg or not.

Lou
    Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>going off topic a bit,what % of your transactions do you receive feedback on.I leave feedback for every transaction but get feedback only 70% of the time! is that about avg or not.
    >>

As a seller, I've sold ~5,000 items on ebay and received feedback about 65% of the time.

• Options
    How is it crappy service if a seller ships promptly, packs it well and the shipper messes up?

Or if the item had DC and the buyer states it was stolen from their property?

Those are the situations I was alluding too.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    If a seller REFUSED to leave feedback after being paid - and insisted that the buyer leave feedback FIRST ..

I never liked that nor would I ever say that in an auction. I would simply NOT leave feedback first and in the invoice

or when I emailed the buyer telling him the item was on it's way I'd ask them to email me upon arrival so I could leave feedback.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    How is it crappy service if a seller ships promptly, packs it well and the shipper messes up?

Or if the item had DC and the buyer states it was stolen from their property?

Neither of these occurances are crappy service. But there was no reason feedback should not have already been left by the seller. In fact if feedback had been left I personally would be in a more understanding frame of mind. BTW I have never left negative feedback although a couple times I should have, and I nearly always leave 5 stars.

Ralph

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I try to leave positive feedback for a buyer immediately after I receive payment. I also email a photo(love my iphone) of the item in it's packaging with shipping label attached to the buyer. It's so quick and easy to do and I have had many buyers express how much they liked that. Just what I do.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    If I do not receive feedback when I buy an item I message the buyer when item arrives and tell them that I will not leave it until they do 1st.

If they do leave it I will also.

The feedback terrorists will blame Ebay for their practices.
  • Options

Neither of these occurances are crappy service. But there was no reason feedback should not have already been left by the seller.

Ralph and I agree 100% with you, I was talking about when sellers could leave negative feedback.

I'm not sure you and I are on the same wave length. Back then at times I would wait until the buyer received the item and was happy.

I did NOT tell my buyers to leave feedback first only that they emailed me upon arrival.

I could have possibly received a negative because the shipper messed up or the item was stolen.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve you make a lot of sense. I miss the good ol' days when the buyers didnt have the sellers by the nuts on every transaction.
  • Options
    ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭
    I leave feedback after the buyer does. That way I know the item was received and the buyer is happy with it. I focus on shipping the item promptly and packaged well.

Then if the buyer can't take a few seconds to leave feedback, I don't really feel the need to either.
  • Options

<< <i>going off topic a bit,what % of your transactions do you receive feedback on.I leave feedback for every transaction but get feedback only 70% of the time! is that about avg or not.

Lou >>

Lou, I have this in a word document and print out and cut one off to enclose with all of my orders. since I've been doing this more people tend to leave feedback, feel free to use it or modify to your liking:

here is the text:

Thank you for your purchase!
    Please leave positive feedback along with Five-Stars in all categories and here is why:
    Item as described - I describe each item honestly.
    Communication – I respond to emails promptly to assist customers.
    Shipping time – Your item was packed and processed without delay.
    Shipping and handling charges –
    For Half.com transactions: Unfortunately I do not have control over the shipping costs; however, if the post office will allow me I will ship your item First-Class as an alternative to Media Mail at no extra cost to you! And if you purchased expedited shipping your item was mailed Priority instead of First-Class!
    For eBay transactions: I try to keep shipping costs as close to the actual amount and do not aim to profit off of shipping or handling as I am happy to have your business!
    If for any reason you are not satisfied please contact me before leaving feedback.

Thank you again, vcu2011

and here is a scanned one:

• Options

<< <i>Lou, I have this in a word document and print out and cut one off to enclose with all of my orders. since I've been doing this more people tend to leave feedback, feel free to use it or modify to your liking:

here is the text:

Please leave positive feedback along with Five-Stars in all categories and here is why:
    >>

I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't like being asked to leave all five stars. If someone thought you deserved less than five stars, I don't think writing that would influence them anyway.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Lou, I have this in a word document and print out and cut one off to enclose with all of my orders. since I've been doing this more people tend to leave feedback, feel free to use it or modify to your liking:

here is the text:

>>

I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't like being asked to leave all five stars. If someone thought you deserved less than five stars, I don't think writing that would influence them anyway. >>

if they don't want to leave five stars then they can leave less...

...this wasn't my idea, many sellers enclose one of these to encourage the buyer to at least leave feedback
  • Options
    and before i put these in i was getting about 50% of buyers leaving feedback, now i get nearly everybody
  • Options

<< <i>if they don't want to leave five stars then they can leave less...

...this wasn't my idea, many sellers enclose one of these to encourage the buyer to at least leave feedback >>

I simply enclose a note that says that I have left feedback, and I ask them if they will do the same if they are satisfied with everything. Asking for all five stars is pretty tacky, IMO.
  • Options

<< <i>and before i put these in i was getting about 50% of buyers leaving feedback, now i get nearly everybody >>

In the long run, that likely won't be the case.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>if they don't want to leave five stars then they can leave less...

...this wasn't my idea, many sellers enclose one of these to encourage the buyer to at least leave feedback >>

I simply enclose a note that says that I have left feedback, and I ask them if they will do the same if they are satisfied with everything. Asking for all five stars is pretty tacky, IMO. >>

i see your point, but buyers think that 4 stars = B service when in fact the way eBay has it set up if a seller loses just one star it really hurts their account, i personally think the whole star thing is a bad idea.

hopefully in the long run things will keep up, but as for the past four months since i've started putting that note in i've been getting almost everybody leaving feedback
  • Options

<< <i>the transaction is not complete until the buyer receives the item. When that happens i leave feedback. As a buyer when i get something in the mail, i leave feedback, and i dont beg for it like a dog from the seller. Folks get their panties in a twist over stupid things. >>

imageimage

HECK, I think Ebay should make the seller ship first leave feedback first and then if the buyer is happy they can pay the seller or just leave negative feedback and low stars!

Ebay is Losing more and more sellers (yea I know some are the bad ones and deserve to go), but some are the good ones that just don't need the headaches anymore!

got this in an email tonight and got a laugh and a headache at the same time (all was in capital letters): "BY NEW EBAY RULES AND REQUIREMENTS I UNDERSTAND THAT THE SELLER COVERS FULL INSURANCE". Joe pickybuyer. the item was under 25.00. LOL
  • Options
    My standard protocol is this....

When I am the buyer I leave feedback when the seller has already left me feedback for fulfilling my end of the bargain. I pay on the day I win auctions. Buyers extend the first olive branch by paying first and thus deserve to receive feedback first.

When I am the seller I leave feedback immediately following payment from buyers and ship immediately. I never email asking for feedback or follow up to see if they left me any.

If someone badgered me about feedback (especially without leaving me feedback) I would not buy from them again. If a buyer I preferred not to leave neutral feedback too badgered me about feedback I'd leave a neutral and add them to my do not sell list.
  • Options

<< <i>My standard protocol is this....

When I am the buyer I leave feedback when the seller has already left me feedback for fulfilling my end of the bargain. I pay on the day I win auctions. Buyers extend the first olive branch by paying first and thus deserve to receive feedback first.

When I am the seller I leave feedback immediately following payment from buyers and ship immediately. I never email asking for feedback or follow up to see if they left me any.

If someone badgered me about feedback (especially without leaving me feedback) I would not buy from them again. If a buyer I preferred not to leave neutral feedback too badgered me about feedback I'd leave a neutral and add them to my do not sell list. >>

In todays' new Ebay neutral feedback is equal to negative feedback and if a buyer wants to get on my BBL leave negative or neutral feedback and they are there.
    Also in todays new ebay it is stupid for the seller not to leave immediate feedback since all the seller can leave is positive feedback.

I have never understood why the buyer/seller would even bother asking for feedback, some people never leave feedback others wait 30 to 45 days to leave feedback others do it immediately.

I know buyers that leave me feedback is about 75 % to 80%, I don't worry about. I know the buyers have all the power now and there is nothing that can be done, I just try to cover my A$$$ with DC and insurance when it is warranted.

Plus I use toolhaus and look at what the buyer has left other sellers to determine if I got a wacko/nut case buyer/seller.
  • Options
    As someone who has only been a buyer, I leave feedback when I receive card, or if I have problem I give seller oppurtunity to make it right. Has happened about three times, all satisfactorily resolved, have never gotten negative feedback in any instances.
  • Options
    everyone's response to Hun's question seems to be in line and nothing over the top. we all have our little differences but overall i think we all here have a pretty good system that fits our individual circumstances.
  • Options
    In todays' new Ebay neutral feedback is equal to negative feedback

Shane

I think that was changed soon after they started doing it.

Storm would know for sure, but I thought I read that somewhere (here)

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The reason I asked the question about feedback is that it has been said many times that people use the # of transactions in the decision to buy or not from a seller who has low feedback.So if an ebay member had 120 transactions but only 70 feedbacks ,that could hurt them as a seller even if all transactions were good.My point being,if getting feedback #'s is that important in the ebay system ,why wouldn't people want to leave feedback for every transaction!

Lou
    Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    feedback is and has always been optional...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Not according to the feedback nazi....

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>In todays' new Ebay neutral feedback is equal to negative feedback

Shane

I think that was changed soon after they started doing it.

Storm would know for sure, but I thought I read that somewhere (here)

steve >>

////////////////////////////////

How are Feedback scores calculated?
    For each transaction, buyers and sellers can choose to rate each other by leaving Feedback. Buyers can leave a positive, negative, or a neutral rating, plus a short comment. Sellers can leave a positive rating and a short comment.

These ratings are used to determine Feedback scores. In most cases, members receive:

+1 point for each positive rating

No points for each neutral rating

-1 point for each negative rating

• Options
    I see they did change it back.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Look at it this way, I will never leave feedback first as a buyer, never!

If you (seller) want feedback, you better leave it first. And try to do it the same week you ship....... not weeks later when you get around to it.