Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hidden Gems of the junk era: the best unknown errors: 12/18 a quick look at a few 1992-94 Topps vari

I've often attempted to post about what unknown errors, variations and other misc cards to look for amongst all those crappy, overproduced sets of the mid-80's and early 90's several times now, but I usually end up canceling the post because I have to leave or some other type of distraction.

Rich's error of the week thread's have been a real inspiration for me so I've created a blog, specifically to cover this type of thing. Each post will be specific to one set that is worth taking a second (or fiftieth) look at, that may be loaded with unlisted variations or just may have a really cool story to tell.

I see a lot of posts on card sites that go:

"Whut is my 1989 Topps set worth"

And the following 5 replies always include the words "Nothing", "kindling" or "Ricky Jordan".

Which is pretty accurate for the most part. But almost all of these sets have error or variation cards in them that are worth looking for before they get dumped off at the goodwill or the children's hospital (great, now this sounds mean and selfish) or set on fire.

With brands like Topps Heritage capitalizing on the enjoyment of collecting variations, and a renewed interested in 'error cards, it would seem that now is the time to discuss the numerous varieties that exist among the sets that everyone and their mothers have (in bulk). There are thousands, not a couple hundred, but thousands of unlisted true error and variation cards among those sets, many of which, top E&V collector's want lists. I'd even argue that some of Topps' rarest error cards in their history can be found among these sets. I personally cannot walk away from a 1991 Topps box knowing what cards could, however unlikely, be within it.

So far, my first two entries have been on 1990 Bowman Baseball, 1991 Topps Baseball (lengthy - for the reader) with Pro Set issues, early Upper Deck, and various Fleer issues likely to be following soon (aka, as time allows). For those interested, you can find it by clicking here. , if this is somehow against the rules, I'll be happy to remove it and you can PM me for the link.

Hopefully I'll be able to regularly post between work and school, I have a ton of information to share.

Thanks for checking this out and enjoy!
My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.

Comments

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Hey Great Read! Thanks for sharing. What other sets do you have this type of information for? I would love to know them all. Now I need to go through an awful lot of "commons" to see if there are any variations.
    Thanks again!
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, nice article. Thanks for linking it.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Great Read! Thanks for sharing. What other sets do you have this type of information for? I would love to know them all. Now I need to go through an awful lot of "commons" to see if there are any variations.
    Thanks again!
    Bob >>

Thanks for the kind words!

I'll be covering sets like:

1982, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989 Topps Baseball.

1989, 1990, 1991 Upper Deck Baseball.

1989, 1990, 1991 Fleer Baseball.

1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 Pro Set Football.

1990, 1991 Score Football.

1990-91 Pro Set Hockey.

1990-91 NBA Hoops.

Plus, I'll be periodically posting about "rumored" or urban-legend type error, variation and withdrawn type cards (1990 Upper Deck Mike Witt, for example).

Basically anything that was produced during the mass-production years that is worth setting aside, be it for your own collection, market value or just being worthy of note.

• Options
    Good blog. Look forward to reading more in the future. Shows that "junk" wax isn't all junk!
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    great read. This is gonna be a fun one to follow

thanks

• Options
    Great read. I really enjoyed it. Good luck busting more junk wax.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Well like others here I guess I will have to go through my cards again! Very nicely done, Thank you for posting!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Nice read. You almost got me to eBay a box of 1991 Topps....but then logic settled. Looking forward to future postings.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Good read. Look forward to more info.image
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    Thanks for the support!

Hopefully these blogs will help unearth some of this stuff which could lead to establishing a real market value for much of them and maybe even some space in one or two of the annual guides.

And for the Pro Set fans, I just added part 1 of my 1990 Pro Set section.

• Options
    GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Great blog . I`ll be following along for sure , love to find the variations and oddballs . thanks

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• Options
    what a fascinating read. I will be keeping an eye on your blog. It's nice when you can actually learn something new about your junk wax image
  • Options
    CWUCAT62CWUCAT62 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    Nice Blog. Can't wait to read more.
    Andre Dawson Super Collector, who also collects the following-
    *Baseball* HOF autographs, Harold Baines, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan & Seattle Mariners
    *Football* Seattle Seahawks, Kenny Easley, Steve Largent, Jon Kitna, & Brian Bosworth
    YouTube Channel link; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAyO141lGqcV2fEjt723jUQ
  • Options
    As always from you, Good Stuff.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I'm glad people are checking it out. I know it's a bit wordy, but with errors and variations it usually requires a good deal of explanation.

Tonight:

Confirm or Debunk? 1990-91 Fleer Dan Majerle #150A ERR....does this card actually exist?

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Again, another great blog. Keep them coming. By the way, I really hate you.........Now I have to go through an awful lot of cards looking for all of these variations! You are going to be keeping me in my card room for quite some time..........Keep them blogs coming! Looking forward to more to read!
    Thanks again,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    Love the blog. You have me digging through the junk cards.

For Dave Waymer, is this what you are looking for?

• Options
    The rumored version has the stat headings in black. Rod Woodson and Wes Hopkins also have this variation. I apologize for typing "red", but it's the black "FUM" heading version that I'm looking to confirm its existence.

• Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    I think it is great !!!!!!!!!!

JC,

I missed this post being it was Thanksgiving.

I have been trying to get a error / variation website off the ground, and I have decided to make it my New Year's Resolution.

I would love to have your blog and your insights, so we must get this going.

I will email you this week.

Rich
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    Finally! A day off! A big sorry to those who've been reading the blog wondering why there haven't been any new posts lately, but this is the first day off since the 1st and the last day off until Christmas eve. Hopefully I'll be able to sneak a half-dozen or so blogs in between now and then. But for now, the exciting world of....

1988 Topps BIG!!

Okay, maybe not exciting, but this one may be of interest to the 1980's player collectors out there. It's one of my all-time favorite sets and full of weird and arguably stupid, variations that only I could care enough about to pour over 3200 count box after 3200 count box in search of the truth! Enjoy!

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Amazing how you find all this stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    hmm, some players in '88 TB have 3 or 4 print letter variations? Time to start hitting up all the vendors on Beckett and Sportlots to check their Butler stacks. I've only got two so far.
  • Options

<< <i>hmm, some players in '88 TB have 3 or 4 print letter variations? Time to start hitting up all the vendors on Beckett and Sportlots to check their Butler stacks. I've only got two so far. >>

Most of the 3-4 sheet code variety guys are in the series 2 set, I believe. Series 2 and 3 are full of weird airbrushing stuff with the sheet codes. Butler was in series one and believe me, I checked for you a year or so ago and I am certain he has just 2 different. I opened so many boxes of that stuff I literally had 3 3200 count boxes in a basement to pour over. Fun stuff.

• Options

<< <i>hmm, some players in '88 TB have 3 or 4 print letter variations? Time to start hitting up all the vendors on Beckett and Sportlots to check their Butler stacks. I've only got two so far. >>

Most of the 3-4 sheet code variety guys are in the series 2 set, I believe. Series 2 and 3 are full of weird airbrushing stuff with the sheet codes. Butler was in series one and believe me, I checked for you a year or so ago and I am certain he has just 2 different. I opened so many boxes of that stuff I literally had 3 3200 count boxes in a basement to pour over. Fun stuff.

• Options

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Since these and the '89 set were both designed to be reminiscent of the '55 and '56 era Topps cards, I've always been surprised they aren't more popular. Everything I've read about them suggests that the tight cello wrappers were rough on corners, at least if you're trying to get a PSA 10.
  • Options
    Good stuff! Almost makes me want to dig through my commons... are these error cards worth anything (I need some financial motivation to undertake the task of looking at junk wax commons!).
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    Just got some topps BIG and ready to ripp., lol
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Good stuff! Almost makes me want to dig through my commons... are these error cards worth anything (I need some financial motivation to undertake the task of looking at junk wax commons!). >>

Hahahahahaha ... I was wondering the same thing. I still have a case of 1988 Topps Big in my attic!!!!!
    Edited to add: And about 5-8 cases of 1988 Fleer and Donruss in the basement! Great choices, no?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    very interesting now i have to go back trough all those common boxes i have
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Good stuff! Almost makes me want to dig through my commons... are these error cards worth anything (I need some financial motivation to undertake the task of looking at junk wax commons!). >>

Hahahahahaha ... I was wondering the same thing. I still have a case of 1988 Topps Big in my attic!!!!!
    Edited to add: And about 5-8 cases of 1988 Fleer and Donruss in the basement! Great choices, no? >>

I tried to be note that the 1988 Topps BIG blog was geared more towards the player collector or variation-enthusiast. I known that some variations in the set are tough to pull but since it's not a main Topps issue and since the variations are on the reverse in most cases, they spark little interest from the casual collector. Again, with stuff like this, it just comes down to getting word out there and after enough time, hopefully a market value will present itself.

Basically, if you don't care to own every version of your guy or team's cards, it's probably not worth it to you to dig through them.

• Options

<< <i>Since these and the '89 set were both designed to be reminiscent of the '55 and '56 era Topps cards, I've always been surprised they aren't more popular. Everything I've read about them suggests that the tight cello wrappers were rough on corners, at least if you're trying to get a PSA 10. >>

Yep.

Also, cello wrapping almost always leaves a hint of blue or red on the corners. Since they were wrapped so tightly, the coloring of the wrappers have bled onto the cards over the last 20 years.

• Options
    For those of us with these sets it might be fun to put them into the sets.

Thanks again Jackson for all the info.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    12/11: Another bat handle obscenity? Enjoy!

Past entries:

12/10: 1991 Donruss Andy Hawkins #BC-12

12/10: 1988 Topps BIG

11/28: 1990-91 Fleer Dan Majerle

11/28: 1990 Pro Set Football Part 1.

11/27: 1991 Topps Baseball

11/27: 1990 Bowman Baseball

• Options
    For those who ask out error master lists, maybe this latest post will help:

12/11: Essential reading for the error & variation collector

• Options
    Interesting about the 1991 Donruss Andy Hawkins. Guess I'll have to dig those out and try to find one! Your also right about 1991 Donruss being ugly cards. As usual, fun read.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I went through one of my 90s star binders I collected as a kid and found that both of my 1990 Donruss Juan Gonzalez RCs are reverse negatives. Not worth much but pretty cool.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Oh oh. Looks like I've found some more fun-with-cards stuff to do this winter. Thanks for sharing your passion!
  • Options
    Same here..

Up until now this type of information was put to memory and any written information burned, or sealed in a vault.
    But having it common knowledge would seem to help this niche area more than hurt in the long run.

Thank you

PS: I like the intentional blog error right off the bat "Treaures"
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • Options

<< <i>I went through one of my 90s star binders I collected as a kid and found that both of my 1990 Donruss Juan Gonzalez RCs are reverse negatives. Not worth much but pretty cool.
    image >>

Congrats! You just helped in the discovery of a new (minor) variation:

Check out the photo cropping on the two Gonzalez cards, especially in the left corner of the photo. One shows more space between his foot and the border than the other. Also, the top of the J in Juan is behind the DONRUSS logo on one type and rightly printed beneath the logo on the other. Pretty cool.

• Options

<< <i>Same here..

Up until now this type of information was put to memory and any written information burned, or sealed in a vault.
    But having it common knowledge would seem to help this niche area more than hurt in the long run.

Thank you

PS: I like the intentional blog error right off the bat "Treaures" >>

Yeaahh, intentional, good eye...

• Options
    12/12: 1988 Topps Baseball: Some major rarities and more...

Past entries:

12/11: Essential reading for the error and variation collector.

12/11: Another bat handle obscenity? Enjoy!

12/10: 1991 Donruss Andy Hawkins #BC-12

12/10: 1988 Topps BIG

11/28: 1990-91 Fleer Dan Majerle

11/28: 1990 Pro Set Football Part 1.

11/27: 1991 Topps Baseball

11/27: 1990 Bowman Baseball

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Hey sharp eyes there! They are definately different. If you look at where the two solid black lines run through the letters in Gonzalez's name, they are clearly differrent. The photo is set higher as well, which you can see from how close it is "Rangers" name above the photo.

It seems like they had some issues with they typeset that was corrected, interesting to see if this variation exists only with the reverse negative issue and if more cards in the set or from this sheet had the same variation.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Jackson

You should PM AUPT (Bob Lemke) he is the guy who can list some of these in the standard cat. (Can't spell catalogue)

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Jackson

You should PM AUPT (Bob Lemke) he is the guy who can list some of these in the standard cat. (Can't spell catalogue)

Steve >>

I've asked before, but he isn't doing any modern stuff at the time. I think 1978 is his cut-off (though I have a ton of info for 1978 Topps).

• Options
    Really? That is a shame because these cards should also be included or at least ones that are truly desirable.

1954 Bowman has 45 different variations with many being simply info being changed on the reverse.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I think that the vintage card collectors have already established a genuine interest in variations, whereas the collectors who got on board in the 80's or 90's such as myself, may have less interest in this information for the cards of "their day" in comparison. This would seemingly make it a priority to get caught up in that vintage area first before venturing into the modern. Just my guess.

I would certainly enjoy the opportunity to shoulder the responsibility one day.

• Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    I bought a case of the 1988 Topps and was the first I believe to have pulled and sold the
    3. #778 Keith Comstock with YELLOW NAME.
    at a show in Tampa for $20
    I remember a woman buying the White letter padres errors - and I showed her my new Yellow Comstock version. She had to have it.
    Sorry, did not have a scanner - or computer for that matter then to save an image of card.
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options

<< <i>I bought a case of the 1988 Topps and was the first I believe to have pulled and sold the
    3. #778 Keith Comstock with YELLOW NAME.
    at a show in Tampa for $20
    I remember a woman buying the White letter padres errors - and I showed her my new Yellow Comstock version. She had to have it.
    Sorry, did not have a scanner - or computer for that matter then to save an image of card. >>

That's a great story! Well, except for the $20 part, it's definitely much rarer than that. What kind of packaging was it in?

I sold the only copy I had ever seen (found it in an ERR/COR pair on ebay a few years ago) as part of a large lot of Topps variations.

• Options
    Bob you sold it back in 88?

Then 20.00 is about right.

If you sold it for 20.00 tomorrow then I'd think you sold it too cheap.

Steve
    Good for you.