Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Luv Them Big Ol' Coppers

or "My three cents worth." Got this baby, courtesy of Black Mountain Coins. Thanks, Dan! Considering the images that I have seen on the net, this one is in particularly good shape.

imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the text just below the shield?

Interesting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    The workhouse?
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ormandh got it.

One Pound Note For 80 Tokens

Payable at the Workhouse.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Neat piece. How big is it?
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These pieces weigh in at an impressive 2.5 oz, incredibly there are a few, less than 50 known, sixpences that weighed 5 oz. At any rate the threepences were the largest actually circulating medium ever issued in Great Britain, helped along no less by Matthew Boulton's steam presses. Before their advent these pieces in such a size would have been impossible in bronze. So in that distinction they are emblematic of the Industrial Revolution, they are testament to the technology that made them possible.

I have a side collection of large pieces from around the world, Siam, Sweden, African Katanga crosses etc, but this piece is my British entry.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

• Here's my contribution to the forum's collection of threepenny tokens from the Birmingham Workhouse:

imageimage

Interestingly, I thought I was going to pick up a Wiveliescombe (Somersetshire) 3d earlier this week. Andrew Wager had it listed on eBay, and it ended up on Monday evening at just under $200. Since I'd just sent Andrew something close to that for an Augustus Cove token (the Withers plate coin), I had to keep my powder dry...the mortgage, you know?

Here's the Wiveliescombe piece:

imageimage

SaorAlba, yours is GORGEOUS !!!
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.