Home Metal Detecting

PCGS69 is annoying. :oP

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
Where do you live, Boston in 1970? How are you finding all of these silver coins!? I'm two years on and haven't found a single silver coin, grrrr.

I love seeing your posts, actually, but it makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong, or if I should do a metal detecting vacation somewhere.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been metal detecting 10 years and I still only have only 4 silver dimes and 1 silver quarter to my credit.

On the bright side I view every 13th clad quarter I find as my ticket to buy another silver quarter at the local coin shop.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Shhh... don't tell anyone I'm from the past!

Wish I could share some big secrets to the silver, but I don't have any! I think almost anyone could do the same thing. It's about going to the right spots (ones that were active when silver coins circulated), having patience, and looking for some areas of those spots that haven't been hit before. That's about it! Of course, there were many of my detecting trips this year that ended with just a few zincolns!
  • i think alot of new guys think its always good on every trip out. when i post stuff here, its usually a few items from many days out. i detect average 5 days a week 2-3 hours each day.
    i've dug 100's of silvers and found almost every coin there is. but that was mostly between 1986-2001. since that time its been getting more difficult. there's more of us out there.
    the REAL secret, is get to know your history. become an expert in your area. learn what most do not. become an investigator. find those lost old dumps, secret parks, mining camps, etc
    oh ya, and i am jealous of pcgs69. we don't see large cents or bust coins around often.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some posts may make me slightly (ok - very) envious, but never jealous. I love it when guys find good things and post about it. Keeps the spirit up and the drive to find treasure alive. HH to all... Cheers, RickO
  • maybe jealous is too strong. envious for sure. the posts definatly keep me going.
  • After 25 years at this...I'll tell you some secrets.......Most here will agree...

1. Research.....................You don't find old coins or silver unless people were in that area in the past. Use your local library and the internet for areas around you.
    2. Equipment...................Learn it frontwards and backwards. Know the quirks of your machine. But the best machine you can afford, and USE IT!
    3. Diligence......................It's easy to get frustrated in this hobby. Going out and coming back empty handed is the biggest killer of this hobby. Stick with it!
    4. Knowledge..................Know the best times to hunt an area. Some areas are better to hunt in the winter, some in the fall. Some areas are better after
    a rain fall.....etc.
    5. Talk to people.............People that have lived in your area for years can be a wealth of info. Pick their brains.
    6. Don't be lazy... ..........A lot of MD'ers have gotten lazy with these new machines that will let you tune out the trash. I'll tell you from experience, old deep
    coins often lie underneath trashy areas. Places that have a lot of trash have been used for years, just the places that are conducive to the older
    coins.

7. Go often......................We all have good days and bad days. It's just part of the hobby.

I am sure I have missed a couple of points...please feel free to add anything guys..

• ya number #3 for sure. i worked a spot today for about 4 hours and only dug 1 coin- 1936 buffalo.