Home Metal Detecting
Options

May have something to post about finally...new street being made!

A new street in a nearby local is being created through an area where in the past I have dug an 1806 British half penny and a civil war token among other things- I awoke to reading this in todays paper- well the part about the new street.Background on the area- heart of the downtown along river bank, near where a French/English Fort stood in the 18th century, once had a farm house and stockade, near a ferry crossing and site of a British invasion in the war of 1812. The weather has been better than expected for upstate NY and instead of starting in the spring- they started digging early- the bad news- I read this in Tuesdays paper and they started digging on Friday! I only got a chance to visit the site at about 4:30 this evening, with about 1/2 or so of daylight left, but I did meet a guy digging for bottles in one of the dirt piles and talk with him-he's found a couple of nice older bottles over the weekend. Unfortunately he told me another guy was there with his detector Saturday, but he did point me to the fresh pile of dirt from today before he left- and he did tell me that the crew doing the work had no problem with him being there during the day- he told me to stop there tomorrow and ask them- said should be no problem! Temps are expected to be higher than average tomorrow and sunny- and I have some time off, so I think I know what I will be doing...as for tonights finds...well I dug three things, #1 one of those pesky aluminum?Pepsi screw on bottle caps, #2 well, I didn't really have to dig- was a rusty horse shoe on top of dirt pile (which had me thinking about a post I read here recently about finding coins under horse shoes) and #3- what did I find under the horse shoe ... a crusty copper. Dated 1814!

Too bad it was a Canadian Wellington Token...but for a half hours hunt not bad, and probably my second oldest coin. Now if I can top that tomorrow and get some 19th silver would be nice. Coin is in a potato for tonight, will add a picture soon....hopefully with some companions.

Comments