Home Metal Detecting
Options

Large cent, and also a Silver Dime Trifecta!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Since it's dark by 5:00 now, I can only go detecting on the weekends. Found it 60 degrees today and a perfect one for detecting. Went to a place I've wanted to go all year but had to wait for the "off season." The wait was well worth it.

Started with the 1925 Merc. Thought it was a lincoln at first, then a clad roosie. Quite a surprise to find a completely brown merc.
Then, pulled out a 1904 Barber Dime, another nice surprise. About a half hour later I pulled out a third silver dime - an 1876 Seated. One of my goals was to find a Seated coin this year... sure waited to nearly the final minute. Was hoping to find a silver Roosie to get the Grand Slam, but this will do nicely!

Between the barber and seated, I got a signal for a coin that was about 2 inches deep. Expecting a quarter, out popped what I first though was a clad Kennedy. After quick inspection I couldn't see any details but also noticed there was no reeded edge. Tucked it away with hopes it could somehow be a large cent, even though I found clad coins at 5 inches, etc. Cleaned it up at home, 1817 large cent. It's definitely beat up, but I love pulling out the largies.

This was one of my best trips of the year.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    The lake monster got a hold of that Large Cent

Eeeks!
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    31 cents? Is that allimage It rained all day here today so all I got to do was to think about the high school football field that I hoped to hunt after the overflow crowd on Saturday.

I would venture to say that not to many dectorist will find that combination. WTG
  • Options
    yep i got today also went down to the beach and fetched $3.72 in clad.1 brass cap,1 brass nozel,and 2 shoes full of seagull poop from all the walking i did.nice day indeed and got a few hr,s to kill in the mornin.got a old graveyard in mind.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice dime trifecta... that site has amazing potential... go for it. HH Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more I think about your three dime find the more I think about how great you must have felt pulling those out of the ground. Anyone of them would have made me feel pretty good. Now if you had a Bust dime to boot it would have been just unreal.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Is the Merc a error coin? Is it silver ? Copper?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the Merc a error coin? Is it silver ? Copper? >>

My initial reaction is that it somehow got stained from something in the soil. If it was copper, it probably would have come out that lovely shade of green that copper turns here. Ick! I'd hate to try cleaning it to see for certain. I actually kind of like it as-is... does that make me strange??