Home Precious Metals
Options

Help a guy out with poured bars?

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I've never seen those before. I don't care for how they aren't marked with comp or weight. If you're going to melt them I'll give melt price image
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    What doesn't really help those bars are that the 1st two do not have the weight stamped or even 999 written on it. Also no name on it from the possible maker. With many old pours there will be at least the weight, the numbers 999 on it and a name such as Star Metals, JPM, JMC, IVF, etc so that you can figure out what the initials or the name means. Because there is nothing someone will just think its a chunk of shiny metal.

I believe I have seen the bird one before, a seller on ebay called bamafanforsure had them but his had like a weight written on them as well as a name.

Last one is a good one. 1 oz poured bars are always hot and get good bids. You might get 30,40, 50 or more depending on who is bidding and if a bidding war ensues. There are people that love collecting 1 ozers.

I would suggest placing all three on ebay separately and seeing how much they sell for. I bet the 1st two might be bought by bamafanforsure as he is into old pours and reselling them and may know something about those two bars as he has been doing this longer than I have and has more knowledge on this stuff as he sees lots of this stuff daily.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've transferred the original thread here. Sorry for the initial mis-posting, and thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the thunderbird bar, one thing I didn't point out in my post is that one of the short ends is rounded, while the other is flat. I wonder if it was originally a larger piece, with the weight and fineness stamped on the end that isn't there any more.

Shrug.

I'll try poking around on eBay with the "thunderbird" keyword. I couldn't come up with that one when I did my searches the other day, and searching for "eagle" in the bullion category just wasn't terribly productive... image I'll also look into what bamafanforsure has. Thanks for the leads!

Thanks!

jonathan