Options
.......................................
ctf_error_coins
Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
move on please
.............
I bought some coins on ebay which (I Think) is a legally binding contract.
I asked for help on this board to see if what I bought was fake, and included no auction info. Here is the thread....
Link
Someone contacted the seller and offered her more and she tried to cancel the already completed auction in which I paid in full.
I need a Lawyer to send this seller a letter (if the seller refuses to send coins) regarding my purchase.. pro bono would be great as I am just getting starting with a new coin business and I am really strapped for cash. My other business of high End Nature photography (for 30 years) is a really hard way to make a living and thus the try in a new field.
I am also willing to pay in coins or in a high end nature photo if pro bono is not an option.
I need help. I am beside myself on this on as I came her for help and was betrayed.
I thank all of you who supported me, Chris
.............
I bought some coins on ebay which (I Think) is a legally binding contract.
I asked for help on this board to see if what I bought was fake, and included no auction info. Here is the thread....
Link
Someone contacted the seller and offered her more and she tried to cancel the already completed auction in which I paid in full.
I need a Lawyer to send this seller a letter (if the seller refuses to send coins) regarding my purchase.. pro bono would be great as I am just getting starting with a new coin business and I am really strapped for cash. My other business of high End Nature photography (for 30 years) is a really hard way to make a living and thus the try in a new field.
I am also willing to pay in coins or in a high end nature photo if pro bono is not an option.
I need help. I am beside myself on this on as I came her for help and was betrayed.
I thank all of you who supported me, Chris
0
This discussion has been closed.
Comments
Do you have any proof someone contacted the seller?
It sure seems like you have zero proof.
If you can't prove it definitely, you have no case. Even if you could prove it, you probably have no case, but I'm not a lawyer.
To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
To try and force this seller into this transaction is just wrong, regardless of what circumstance ocurred.
The name is LEE!
<< <i>I think the point is the contract, not what someone else did behind my back.
If they refund your money, I don't think you have a case.
If they don't refund it, then by all means, sue their asses off.
To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
what an insane statement
<< <i>I bought some coins on ebay which (I Think) is a legally binding contract. >>
While it is true that buying and selling an eBay creates a legally binding contract, enforcement of that contract is nearly impossible should one party decide for whatever reason to back out.
Even if you took this to court and won a judgment, collecting on the judgment may prove impossible.
60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
<< <i>I can't see the auction. How much money is involved? --Jerry >>
I purchased something for $300 and was taking a chance as they might of been fakes, If real they would be worth more.
<< <i>
<< <i>I bought some coins on ebay which (I Think) is a legally binding contract. >>
While it is true that buying and selling an eBay creates a legally binding contract, enforcement of that contract is nearly impossible should one party decide for whatever reason to back out.
Even if you took this to court and won a judgment, collecting on the judgment may prove impossible. >>
Yes I do understand that.
BUT
A letter from a LAWYER couldn't hurt and it may get me MY COINS.
<< <i>Not to fan the flames here but what you are asking a lawyer to do is to legally enable you to steal something from this seller. You know that the coin is worth well over the $300 you paid and several professional dealers have stated as much! The seller was obviously not aware of its value but now is.
To try and force this seller into this transaction is just wrong, regardless of what circumstance ocurred. >>
That is total BS. They had a valid contract.
* I do not know what exactly is involved, but used the $300 final price as a starting point.
<< <i> the lesson we can all gleam from this if I understand what happened here is, don't show a link of a coin that you won on ebay, instead show a link of a coin you received from an auction you won on ebay. Alerting all about a coin before it is in your possession has only brought problems for the so called ebay winner ie the so called ebay winner never ends up with the coin at the winning price......FACT! >>
<< <i>
<< <i> the lesson we can all gleam from this if I understand what happened here is, don't show a link of a coin that you won on ebay, instead show a link of a coin you received from an auction you won on ebay. Alerting all about a coin before it is in your possession has only brought problems for the so called ebay winner ie the so called ebay winner never ends up with the coin at the winning price......FACT! >>
I agree. In other words, keep your trap shut until the coins are in your own hand.
<< <i>
<< <i> the lesson we can all gleam from this if I understand what happened here is, don't show a link of a coin that you won on ebay, instead show a link of a coin you received from an auction you won on ebay. Alerting all about a coin before it is in your possession has only brought problems for the so called ebay winner ie the so called ebay winner never ends up with the coin at the winning price......FACT! >>
Amen!!
<< <i>how am I stealing?
what an insane statement >>
Simple, you want the seller to sell you a coin for $300 which you know to be worth thousands. The seller obviously does not want to do so and to force them into doing so over what you think is a "legal obligation because of eBay" (which obligation really does not exist) appears to me to be theft.
Its no different than if I put something up for sale which I learn later is really worth a lot more than I realized and then decide not to sell it.
Regardless of how the seller learned of this value, you really should not attempt to "force" them into completing the transaction just because you feel "wronged"!
The seller does not want to sell the piece at that price for whatever reason.
Get over it.
And yes I understand your feelings of "betrayal" but there's not really much you can do about it excpet to simply get over it.
The name is LEE!
thanks for the support
<< <i>Someone contacted the seller and offered her more and she tried to cancel the already completed auction in which I paid in full. >>
You state this as a fact. Do you have any proof?
So, avoiding the legal side, my question is:
If you think someone on these boards ripped you off, do you think that posting on the boards that your attorney letter is really an empty threat is going to help resolve this in your favor?
merse
<< <i>
<< <i>how am I stealing?
what an insane statement >>
Simple, you want the seller to sell you a coin for $300 which you know to be worth thousands. The seller obviously does not want to do so and to force them into doing so over what you think is a "legal obligation because of eBay" (which obligation really does not exist) appears to me to be theft.
Its no different than if I put something up for sale which I learn later is really worth a lot more than I realized and then decide not to sell it.
Regardless of how the seller learned of this value, you really should not attempt to "force" them into completing the transaction just because you feel "wronged"!
The seller does not want to sell the piece at that price for whatever reason.
Get over it.
And yes I understand your feelings of "betrayal" but there's not really much you can do about it excpet to simply get over it. >>
You are being quite harsh. If they don't want to sell it at that price, then they shouldn't have auctioned it. The OP's actions are nowhere near theft and to accuse him of such is outrageous.
I don't think I would try to make my problem someone else's problem.
If you feel that strongly hire an lawyer out of your pocket.
Saddened to hear this chris.I know that you were overjoyed to have found these pieces and expected that you would have them when the auction is over.Going against the tide here i think that a deal is a deal and if someone on the forum went behind your back and contacted the seller to offer a sweeter deal they are lowlifes.JMHO.I wouldnt be shocked if that person contacts you to sell it for more money.
Got no legal help for you but in the future dont discuss any great buys you find on the forum until the coins are in your hand.Most here are fellow collectors who would be happy to share your good fortune while a few others are looking to take what you find for the sake of a few dollars.Again JMHO
<< <i>Doesn't Longacre handle these pro-bono threat letters for forum members all the time? >>
Yes, he's written at least a dozen for me over the last couple years.
Maybe a phone call to the seller providing them with more $$$ and still a good deal for the buyer would work better.
If I was a seller and got your attorney letter, I'd tell you to pound sand and come sue me. The coin would disappear, and we'd say it was worth all of $300, since that's what it sold for. If you won, you'd get $300. If you lost, you'd pay my attorneys' fees. Not worht the effort and everyone knows it.
Try the nice guy approach.
Ike Specialist
Finest Toned Ike I've Ever Seen, been looking since 1986
<< <i>
<< <i>
<< <i> the lesson we can all gleam from this if I understand what happened here is, don't show a link of a coin that you won on ebay, instead show a link of a coin you received from an auction you won on ebay. Alerting all about a coin before it is in your possession has only brought problems for the so called ebay winner ie the so called ebay winner never ends up with the coin at the winning price......FACT! >>
Amen!! >>
I'm sorry for your feelings about the forum folk perhaps ratting you out.
I hope it works out for you.
ksteel, what a cute granddaughter!!!
There will be more coins.
<< <i>
<< <i>
<< <i>how am I stealing?
what an insane statement >>
Simple, you want the seller to sell you a coin for $300 which you know to be worth thousands. The seller obviously does not want to do so and to force them into doing so over what you think is a "legal obligation because of eBay" (which obligation really does not exist) appears to me to be theft.
Its no different than if I put something up for sale which I learn later is really worth a lot more than I realized and then decide not to sell it.
Regardless of how the seller learned of this value, you really should not attempt to "force" them into completing the transaction just because you feel "wronged"!
The seller does not want to sell the piece at that price for whatever reason.
Get over it.
And yes I understand your feelings of "betrayal" but there's not really much you can do about it excpet to simply get over it. >>
You are being quite harsh. If they don't want to sell it at that price, then they shouldn't have auctioned it. The OP's actions are nowhere near theft and to accuse him of such is outrageous. >>
Yes I am being quite harsh.
The seller obviously didn't have a clue what he/she was selling but now knows its value for whatever reason and simply does not want to sell. To force that transaction to completion through legal means is just as silly as announcing that it had been won in the first place before ever receiving it out of fear that it was fake.
Hey, maybe errorsoncoins will win an expensive judgment and the item will turn out to be a real fake?
If it were me, I'd just let it go.
The name is LEE!
<< <i>ksteel, what a cute granddaughter!!! >>
I agree wholeheartedly!!
<< <i>What is the coin really worth?
Maybe a phone call to the seller providing them with more $$$ and still a good deal for the buyer would work better.
If I was a seller and got your attorney letter, I'd tell you to pound sand and come sue me. The coin would disappear, and we'd say it was worth all of $300, since that's what it sold for. If you won, you'd get $300. If you lost, you'd pay my attorneys' fees. Not worht the effort and everyone knows it.
Try the nice guy approach. >>
According to this price guide, it's worth between $15000 to $20000... not bad for $300 in. And the piece does look to be real.
http://minterrornews.com/priceguideoffmetal.html
I wish the OP the best but I doubt he'll get the coin.
Lesson learned, there are people out there that just love to ruin things for other people and will go out of their way to do so. That is just human nature. I doubt that the seller even got a better offer, I'd bet someone just out of ill will, mailed the seller and told them the real value and they opted out of the deal.
At the least, I hope the OP gets his money back.
Next time, remember, loose lips sink ships
<< <i>
<< <i>Doesn't Longacre handle these pro-bono threat letters for forum members all the time? >>
Yes, he's written at least a dozen for me over the last couple years.
Me too, always with copious quotation of the international tax codes....
<< <i>
<< <i>What is the coin really worth?
Maybe a phone call to the seller providing them with more $$$ and still a good deal for the buyer would work better.
If I was a seller and got your attorney letter, I'd tell you to pound sand and come sue me. The coin would disappear, and we'd say it was worth all of $300, since that's what it sold for. If you won, you'd get $300. If you lost, you'd pay my attorneys' fees. Not worht the effort and everyone knows it.
Try the nice guy approach. >>
According to this price guide, it's worth between $15000 to $20000... not bad for $300 in. And the piece does look to be real.
http://minterrornews.com/priceguideoffmetal.html
I wish the OP the best but I doubt he'll get the coin.
Lesson learned, there are people out there that just love to ruin things for other people and will go out of their way to do so. That is just human nature. I doubt that the seller even got a better offer, I'd bet someone just out of ill will, mailed the seller and told them the real value and they opted out of the deal.
At the least, I hope the OP gets his money back.
Next time, remember, loose lips sink ships
Wow. I had no idea the value was that high! I was think 5 maybe 6 grand but 10 to 20 grand!
The name is LEE!
The seller didn't make a pricing error. The value of error coins can vary quite a lot and is subject to discussion. Once the seller picked a reasonable price and the buyer accepted and formalized it on ebay, the seller is obligated to deliver. As a seller I would deliver. --Jerry
<< <i>
<< <i>ksteel, what a cute granddaughter!!! >>
I agree wholeheartedly!!
she get's a green sticker Steeldude!
To the OP I think you should reach out to the seller and try to work this out behind the scenes
It may cost you more money, but it can still be a win win
However, I don't think you have a shot at getting the coin via threats or for $300. The jig is up
A lawyers letter will do no good especially if you really think somebody here ratted you out.
That same rat will alert the seller to the rouse
Don't threaten unless you plan to follow through.
Good luck.....FYI you have photography spelled wrong in your Vibrant nature photography link me thinks : )
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
<< <i>A letter from a LAWYER couldn't hurt and it may get me MY COINS. >>
Agreed, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
sharks.
always keep your cards close and watch your back as this hobby
revolves around money. no pun intended.
this is a forum where the statement "greed is good" gets you pats
on the back.
Errorsoncoins, I did mention about the lawyer thing yesterday on your thread but I also mentioned perhaps sending the seller a email and offering the person more if thats what they want.
I think as others have mentioned, a lawyer wouldn't do much, the seller could hide it and claim that it was lost, stolen, etc and noone would get anything and you'd be out on lawyer fees.
I agree 19lyds might be harsh BUT there could be the possibility that someone sent a courtesy email to the seller telling her that the coin is worth 10-20k and maybe now she has second thoughts and doesn't want to sell. OR she may have been offered a private deal.
I feel for you best of luck!
Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
I just thought someone here with a law degree and a passion for coins may want to help
"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.american-legacy-coins.com
PS. Once the seller refunds your money, what else can you do?
Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
If the coin is worth lets say 15k, perhaps Erroroncoins could tell the seller that he could help her sell it and they split the difference. That way the seller gets more money and Erroroncoins still makes money. Any other way and he might be on the losing end of the stick.
Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
PLEASE send me free flips.
I think that anyone with flips and that post here as they must have a passion for coins should send me flips.
I need flips as I am starting a coin store and don't want to spend money on accessories.
P.S. if you have any show cases send those too!
Put yourself in the seller's shoes - how would you feel in this situation? Is it really worth what you might receive in order to make a person feel that way?
And yes, you brought this on yourself by starting your thread before you received the coins.