Home Metal Detecting

my two day school yard hunt.

$2,65 modern clad. why am i finding state quarters at 3 inches or more? the f2 is giving me mixed sigs.and not so acurate.

Comments

• Nice finds, it sounds like the school yard was hit before you got there.

What are you digging through to get the coins? Are you detecting over dirt, rocks, pea gravel or wood chips? My thought for a 3" deep state quarter found in dirt is that there has been fresh dirt brought in to maybe level out the area where you detected. Another way for one to get 3" down in less than a decade is that it was muddy and got squished into the ground maybe when someone stepped on it.

I'd also set up a practice area so you can try to hear your detector's sound's over good targets. My detector sometimes gives mixed signals when I don't have the battery charged enough or when it starts to wear down. So check your battery pack or maybe put new batteries in if you don't use a rechargeable.
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Another thing to check for is power lines. When I was looking for a detector, others were saying that the F75 seemed more affected by powerlines than other detectors. Maybe the F2 is as well?
  • total 3 days at school yard $4.25 and one hot wheels car made in hong kong.
    Sounds like you need a different detecting area. Are there any local parks or swimming holes in your area?
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always done well in school yards until the last year or so. Maybe it's the economy and kids just don't have the change. There were areas that I could always count on and now it has really slowed down.
    I went to two school yards this summer.

The first one I found 5 pieces of jewelry!!! But all were costume jewelry, haha... so that was a bit of a bummer. The 2nd school, my highlight was a war nickel. As Jim Cramer would say, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange thing, even in a down economy, kids these days always seem to have money. Just check out convenience stores and malls... incredible the money they spend. Cheers, RickO
  • ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the father of a 15 year old daughter I will second that!
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty