Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921 Peace Dollar - PCGS-64 -- The One that Got Away

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
I almost pulled the trigger on the following coin, but for a couple of reasons decided not to, and let it get away. I have had some second thoughts as it appeared solid for the grade, and I believe that it has an original skin with strong mint luster.

The only things that caused me to not to make the purchase were the contact marks on the reverse (especially on the eagle's head), and the slightly weak strike in the rays in Miss Liberty's crown.

How about an educational discussion as to what you like about the coin for the assigned grade, and what you do not like? Thanks in advance for providing your feedback.

1921 PCGS-64 Peace Dollar - The One that Got Away

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you made the right decision. The coin in question is weakly struck and there are better ones out there.

Here is my 64:

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey you cheated with that last one - nice nice for a 64!!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should have kept this MS64 back in 06 as I thought I could find better... never have! image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll find better. There are some great ones out there. I really like some that were made from proof dies.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you made the right decision.

The chatter in the left obverse field is really distracting to me...add that to the contact marks, other nicks, and the soft strike as you mentioned.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The '21s are hard to find with nice hair detail, if you do happen to find one jump on it!

Here is my crappy example.....

• Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

Strikes a familiar chord with me.Recently retired got some severence pay and decided to finally get the #1 coin on my wish list the 1921 peace dollar.Visited a big famous website everyday saw what I wanted and just couldnt pull the trigger.Looked at the coin everyday for weeks mulled it over.The price was within the various guidelines we use.But after a week or so I realized that there was a brown streak on the coin right across from libertys nose.tried to overlook it but the more I looked the more it bothered me.I will get this coin for my collection when I see the right one for me.So keep looking stuart if you want a coin with a clear unmarked field as I do dont settle for someghing less.
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    You could do worse. It is a decent coin for the grade with a better than average strike.

The bump on the nose is more noticable than the marks on the reverse.

I think we could safely say that it is NT. I'm not sure how dark the toning is in person as oppose to the well lit pics.
  • Options
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sold this AU one too. Miss it!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    If you are patient, you can buy the same numerical grade, with fewer marks and much better strike for the same money.
  • Options
    If you were looking for a nice white example then I think you made a very very good descision not to purchase that coin. There are some stunning white ones out there and from the image of the one you showed I just dont think it was all that good.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Nice one FEC! image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good decision... there are better coins available... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

That is one of the nicest 21's I have seen. Is it slabbed?
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Thousands of 64's around.

Fewer with attractive toning and original skin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file