Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is the 1909-O quarter really worth this much above the PCGS price guide?

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've heard about this date being pretty tough. This example in the link seems nice, but is it really that 'hot'? I know there are choices out there, and I wouldn't buy at that price. What say you?

PCGS VF-20 1909-O 25c

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one has been up there at that $700 price tag for a few months now. Way overpriced in my opinion, but the coin is definitely worth much more than either the Greysheet or the PCGS Guide value the coin at. I think the last PCGS VF 1909-O quarter sold on ebay for around $450 earlier this year, might have been a VF25 though. Maybe someone else was keeping better track or has a better memory.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This example in the link seems nice, but is it really that 'hot'? I know there are choices out there, and I wouldn't buy at that price. What say you?

The coin would be hard,approaching impossible,to replace.This date (1909-O)Barber quarter is a beast to find in VF.The seller appears to know what they are doing and are being patient trying to find a buyer.

I notice it does have two offers.If it was my coin and I were offering it BIN $700, I don't think I would take any less than about $625 for this particular problem free piece.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    The last one I owned (for a few seconds LOL)... was a PCGS VF20... won on ebay for $340 (edited to clarify that I won this earlier this year)... sold to an underbidder who posts here... for $375...

I was "bragging" to him that I finally won one in auction... he said "so you're the so and so who outbid me?" ... I replied "I guess so image " ... he sighed and asked "How much do I need to pay you for it?" ... I said "I want 10% above my cost" ... he said "sold" ... I received it, enjoyed it for a bit and now it belongs to him... sigh...

These fools asking stupid money can go sit on a soggy cornflake... image

I thought paying over double bid was over-the-top (bid is at an absurdly low $145) ... for whatever their reasons might be (and I have heard many forumites explanations... none wash with me) ... GS and other price guides REFUSE to acknowledge the true levels for many Barber coins... yeah yeah... the premiums only go for premium coins... that, my friends, is mumbo jumbo double speak... the price guide should definately be higher with the so-called dreck going for under price guides (which is usually the case in most other series)...

OK...time for another cup o joe image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry, Larry, I'll never charge you double GS Bid for Barber coins image

Personally I'm fine with the price guides being right where they are at....I scour the shows looking for decent Barbers anywhere near Bid levels, and I know I can turn them quickly with a small mark up to the knowledgeable collectors and dealers here on the forum. I'm sure I'm leaving money on the table, based on what I've seen these go for in the 'real world', if I took the time to slab them and put them on the 'Bay, but I'd rather hit a bunch of singles than go for grand slams.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    PCGS Barbers in the VF/XF range are nuclear hot at the moment. Getting into this market 3-5 years ago would have been extremely fortuitous.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look at the seated and Barber better date circ markets as being comparable. During the boom of 2007-2008 it was not unusual to see underpriced seated semi-keys bringing 3X to 4X CDN bid. In today's tougher market I'd say 3X bid is about the limit. Flopping that over to the 09-0 inVF gives one a range of $400-$450 which seems more than enough money imo. 5X bid ($700) may be pushing it. The quantity of 09-0's hitting the market will always be held back as long as the bid price for VF is $145. But there are certainly specimens out there waiting to come to market once the listed price doubles or triples.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The quantity of 09-0's hitting the market will always be held back as long as the bid price for VF is $145

A number of years ago,1900-0 dimes in F or better were not to be found.The coin's bid price went up and they started to be seen offered for sale.And I'm talking about when ebay was just a glint in his daddy's eye.Want to read something interesting,check out David Lawrence's comments about 1900-0 dime in the original,The Complete Guide to Barber Dimes (mine is a signed copyimage).

These fools asking stupid money can go sit on a soggy cornflake...

People pay stupid money,as you say,for coins alot more common,alot more frequently seen than this seller's 1909-O Quarter.

was "bragging" to him that I finally won one in auction... he said "so you're the so and so who outbid me?" ... I replied "I guess so " ... he sighed and asked "How much do I need to pay you for it?" ... I said "I want 10% above my cost" ... he said "sold" ... I received it, enjoyed it for a bit and now it belongs to him... sigh...

The sigh kind of says it all.At least you seem to have a good attitude about this missed opportunity to make some decent money. I have a nice,truly scarce Barber coin and want to sell it? The sheet can get soggy from eating my cornflakes on it.

I checked David Lawrence Rare Coins for 1909-O Barber Quarter.They have none in inventory.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    VERY tough coin to find in VF20+........wish I had 2-3 to sell!
  • Options
    A 1909-O in PCGS VG08 just sold tonight on eBay for $83.00 + $4.50 shipping.

PCGS Guide has a VG8 at $40 and my 8/2009 Greysheet has it at $28-$31 in VG.

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

The market price for a VF 20 should be in the $450 - 500 range - and I think the seller
    on eBay is more than a bit optomistic with his $699 asking price.

The coin is nearly impossible to locate in VF - AU. Oh, yeah !! Last month there was
    an AU 58 for $699...with the previous owners initials scratched onto the obverse.......image

I have seen a choice PCGS 58 go for Moon Money last year and another PCGS AU 55 go quite high as well.
    I didn't record the sell prices - but they were up there. I'm thrilled to have been offered my MS 64 a couple
    of years ago. I paid alot less for the MS 64 than what the AU 58 sold for.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    what about the 05-O?

I haven't seen many of those either.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what about the 05-O?

I haven't seen many of those either. >>

05-O Half? Very tough coin. I have one in VF25 that's really nice and original (Crappy pics of it can be seen in the half set that's linked in my sig) that I think I was quite fortunate to find.

Quarter? Well if it's a Barber and it's VF it's generally tough.... soo... seems like really only the much later dates are truly findable on a regular basis in VF. In the Halves for some reason it's the 12-D, that's the one date you seem to always be able to find.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    It's been about a year since this discussion and the way off price guides haven't budged. Meanwhile, the 1909-O quarter in circulated grades, when available, is still selling for multiples of the major guides. Sure, most all of us agree that in grades of VF20-AU58, the guides are way off, but even in the lower grades they don't seem to track reality.

Here's a PCGS VG10 that just sold on eBay for $129.02!!!!!

eBay Link

The Oct 2010 greysheet price for a VG example is bid $28 ask $31. So even in VG this last one went for over 4x greysheet prices. Some may think this particular example is undergraded (I don't), but even if that is the case the Greysheet lists a Fine at a bid of $65 and ask of $72, so the coin still sold at double the Fine bid price. Even the PCGS Guide has the coin at only $92 in F12 (I don't know the VG10 price because PCGS won't let me see it for free).

Anyone else see any 1909-O quarters selling recently? I know there is a toned PCGS MS64 example selling on Heritage next weekend. I saw the coin at the Beverly Hills lot viewing last week and I thought it wasn't too bad. I loved the reverse of the coin, but I only liked the obverse.

• Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    I have had 4 in the past 3 months. A VG8, two F-12's and a VF 30. All sold in a matter of days and all for strong money. Price guides of all sorts remain totally out of touch to reality in a lot of Barber dates in all series.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options

<< <i>It's been about a year since this discussion and the way off price guides haven't budged. Meanwhile, the 1909-O quarter in circulated grades, when available, is still selling for multiples of the major guides. Sure, most all of us agree that in grades of VF20-AU58, the guides are way off, but even in the lower grades they don't seem to track reality.
    Anyone else see any 1909-O quarters selling recently? I know there is a toned PCGS MS64 example selling on Heritage next weekend. I saw the coin at the Beverly Hills lot viewing last week and I thought it wasn't too bad. I loved the reverse of the coin, but I only liked the obverse. >>

Mike - the Heritage coin in 64 is the only one that caught my eye - and its very colorful.
    I have not had the privledge of inspecting it in hand like you have - but from the images
    it seems like a very nice coin. Its certainly more colorful than mine [ or your's FTM].

Obviously, I'm tracking that sale at HA. Hope it goes for mid $5K. image

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>I have seen a choice PCGS 58 go for Moon Money last year and another PCGS AU 55 go quite high as well.
    I didn't record the sell prices - but they were up there. I'm thrilled to have been offered my MS 64 a couple
    of years ago. I paid alot less for the MS 64 than what the AU 58 sold for. >>

If memory serves me the AU 58 went for $4000. The AU 55 went for $3500??
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    Yes they bring strong money - I just paid slightly over Fine Bid for a nice F15 (around $75 or $80) at a show a couple weeks ago - and you know I don't like to pay over Bid unless I have to image Truth be told, I've been looking for an 09O quarter for a couple of years - I got first crack at a circ set that one of the dealers had just bought. It was no where near as nice as the one PonyExpress just bought, BTW, if it was, I would have bought the whole thing. Most of the better date coins were either very worn or had problems, or both. The 09O quarter was the exception.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1909-O quarter is definitely worth more than the price guides indicate. When I sold Barber coinage regularly, I bought 65 of them in two years, mostly Fines and VFs. The Fines I sold for $300, the F-VF's for $365 and the VFs for $425. And they have all been sold. A few collectors bought more than one.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

I don't remember what my good friend, Labelman87 paid Bushmaster for his 1909-O in PCGS 55.

However, the PCGS AU 58 sold for $4,025 with buyers fees. There was an NGC 58 that sold for $2,990.
    Both coins on Heritage Auction Archives.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>I don't remember what my good friend, Labelman87 paid Bushmaster for his 1909-O in PCGS 55.

However, the PCGS AU 58 sold for $4,025 with buyers fees. There was an NGC 58 that sold for $2,990.
    Both coins on Heritage Auction Archives. >>

And I've been looking for the past couple of years for a PCGS AU55 for $600 (per the PCGS Price Guide) or maybe a raw AU for $500 (per the Greysheet) image

Wonder what it will have to take for PCGS to finally update the Guide????

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

For some who haven't seen it here is my pcgs 55 CAC gold 09-O. Someone is looking for a 55 at about $600; good luck I would pay that all day. I can tell the folks that really nice AU 55's and AU58 tough date Barber Quarters are scarce to rare. MS 64's are better buys and more available. Anyone have a 98-O or and 07-S in pcgs 58 for sale? LOL!

• Options
    Awesome coin Craig, thanks for posting it image
  • Options
    Thanks Michael. I am only the custodian for the next owner. .... Hopefully well into the future.

• Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome coin Craig, thanks for posting it image >>

That is indeed one nice 1909-O
  • Options
    Mike,

image Thanks!

• Options
    Just saw that Bowers & Merena has a 1909-O Quarter in PCGS F12 in their November 2010 auction - Lot No. 1740. Looks like it has a reserve price that hasn't been met at this time of $207 ($180 + BP). Just a bit over the PCGS Price Guide price of $95 image Not a bad looking coin for the grade though.

• Options
    Just noticed the PCGS XF40 1909-O quarter on eBay right now. PCGS Price Guide says it's worth $340... the opening bid on this one of $1100 has already been met with 5 days left to go... FYI, an MS60 just happens to be $1100 in the PCGS Price Guide. How much higher will this XF40 go for???

1909-O 25c PCGS XF40

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just noticed the PCGS XF40 1909-O quarter on eBay right now. PCGS Price Guide says it's worth $340... the opening bid on this one of $1100 has already been met with 5 days left to go... FYI, an MS60 just happens to be $1100 in the PCGS Price Guide. How much higher will this XF40 go for???
    1909-O 25c PCGS XF40 >>

More than that. image
  • Options

<< <i>image

nice pix of an old friend!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was offered a 09-O in PCGS55 a while back for $2500 and didn't take it. Probably should have.
  • Options

<< <i>More than that. image >>

Looks like you were correct, the PCGS XF40 sold for $1276.99!!

and PCGS did raise the price in their Price Guide finally on the XF40!!!!! from $340 all the way up to $400!!!!!!! seems like they need to triple that number...
  • Options
    Note to self: Stop ignoring the rows of raw Barbers at the shop.
    BST: Gerard Tdec1000 Scrapman1077 Dropdaflag SeaEagleCoins cucamongacoin whatsup 49thStateofMind ajia DoubleEagle59 johngerman funbunch jnd1955 ACactions PCcoins ArizonaJack feeter277 dsessom JBdimes emteeuu savoyspecial greencopper ....
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Note to self: Stop ignoring the rows of raw Barbers at the shop. >>

I dont know about yours, but my B&M prices them right off the sheet BID + 10%.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

<< <i>I dont know about yours, but my B&M prices them right off the sheet BID + 10%. >>

Lots of dealers have rows of Barbers, and price them around Bid....unfortunately, 99% of them are common dates, heavily worn, have problems, etc.
    That's why the tough dates in nice shape are commanding the big $. But keep your eye out for that once in a while needle in the haystack!
  • Options

<< <i>I was offered a 09-O in PCGS55 a while back for $2500 and didn't take it. Probably should have. >>

Jon... LOL... you should have called me !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    I see that the 09-O PCGS F15 sold on the bay today at $325. I wasn't the buyer on this one as I wasn't a big fan of the look, but it did bring in strong money though.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    $325 seems cheap right now... it's funny how what we thought was silly money a year ago seems cheap today
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    A PCGS MS63 example of the 1909-O quarter sold tonight on Heritage:

Current PCGS MS63 Price = $2000
    Current PCGS MS63+ Price = $2400
    Current PCGS MS64 Price = $4250

The PCGS MS63 on Heritage sold tonight for $4600! Looks like some more green up arrows are needed in the Price Guide soon!

• Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Need to start looking on eBay. Most eBay dealers seem to want PCGS prices for their coins, right or wrong.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options

Mike - Thx for the head's up about the MS 63 - 1909-O Quarter.

I think that was very strong money for that 63. Wonder what this

MS 64 will bring at the Chicago Pre-ANA Sale ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure exactly how much 1909-O quarters are worth in Mint State, but THIS coin (the MS-63 that Heritage sold at Central States) was worth $4,600 to one bidder, so we know the value of THIS MS-63 coin, the future will determine the prices of any other MS 1909-O quarters sold.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

<< <i>Mike - Thx for the head's up about the MS 63 - 1909-O Quarter.

>>

I hope it goes strongly as it's a solid looking MS64. I would assume that there's another few buyers needing one of these for their collection as we know MS examples just don't show up in every auction. Surely the underbidder of this recent MS63, who had their bid of around $4400 outbid, will likely pay the same amount for a nice MS64 and hopefully much more. Best of luck image
  • Options
    1909-O quarter in PCGS VF25 sells for $546

PCGS Price Guide for XF40 still at $400
    PCGS Price Guide for AU55 still at $600

• Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Strong price for a very ugly coin!

Doug
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought I'd dig this one up again, PCGS guide still say $400 for an XF-40. Does anyone have any they want to sell me at that price? Have they become harder to find the past year?
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    The PCGS price for an EF40 1909-O quarter at $400 is a joke. I sold a nice XF45 earlier this year for $1700, and a washed out XF40 sold recently on ebay
    for around $1200. F and VF coins are regularly available, but XF and AU coins are very scarce and worth much more than price guide values.

Doug
  • Options
    I think they've become harder to find, in all grades VF and above. More people seem to be wanting them and looking for them, but I don't see any new folks coming in as sellers. I contact the price guide people a couple of times and even emailed David Hall about the 1909-O quarter prices specifically, including real selling price data. But seems like they don't want to change the prices for some reason...

Just glad I got my MS64 example when it was available, didn't realize how tough of a coin it was at the time!

• Options

<< <i>Mike - Thx for the head's up about the MS 63 - 1909-O Quarter.

image >>

Just spotted this old thread and realized I hadn't edited my post with the
    Price Realized at the Heritage Pre ANA auction.

My MS 64 hammered at $ 3,500 plus the Vig.
    Not complaining but I actually paid $ 3,550.
    Six years ago !!

I wish I was the lucky receipiant of that AU 55 Gold CAC coin.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    A few 1909-O quarters in the upcoming Heritage sale...

One in PCGS F12 is currently bid up to $345 (w/ the BP) and the PCGS Price Guide is $225... already around 150% the Guide price and there's nearly a week to go!

Another in PCGS XF45 is already bid up to $2185 (w/ the BP) and the PCGS Price Guide says it's worth only $425!!! Again, still has around a week to go.

It's clear PCGS is still way behind on the value of this date and they have been told on multiple occasions. But most other price guides aren't close either. Still hard to believe that these coins in XF go for that sort of money when for a little bit more you can apparently get a near-gem PCGS MS64.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what the explanation is for the big discrepancy between the pcgs price guide and actual sale prices? This is clearly not a new phenomenon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file