Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Open the safe deposit boxes boys....all of them.

Linky

I've noticed some people on here like to discuss the true safety of safe deposit boxes so I thought I'd share this.

Apparently the Makita angle grinder is the weapon of choice to make quick work of your SDB.

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.
    I'd better make sure the employees at my bank get regular hearing tests.
    Seems like the only defense to this new threat, no?
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    just goes to show how hard it is to fight the "man" when they just
    take your stuff.

it is like the raid started out with good intentions but those who actually
    did the work of it went buck wild on anything they wanted.
  • Options
    Wow! How many Gold coins were *lost* on that raid?

We will see something like this in the USA, soon.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! How many Gold coins were *lost* on that raid?

We will see something like this in the USA, soon. >>

I sadly agree with you.............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool your not to have cash in the box's or guns but even though it's not right to go in all of them. Some tax collectors from the citys are doing the same time are hard. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    More LEO B.S. That isn't a Glock, it is a airsoft bb gun or some crap. Not a firearm and typlical LEO spinoff (good job)
  • Options
    Hey Calico, is that the old emblem for the Pittsburgh Pirates or is my memory tricking me?
  • Options
    Better off burying it in your backyard.image
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Calico, is that the old emblem for the Pittsburgh Pirates or is my memory tricking me? >>

Yes, that is the old Pirate logo... during better times for themimage
  • Options
    Wow! I though the Langbord case was tough; this is incredible!image
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Calico, is that the old emblem for the Pittsburgh Pirates or is my memory tricking me? >>

Yes it is! My favorite version of the logo.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Across town, in Camden, some less high-profile but equally infuriated welltodo box-holders did the same. John and Estelle Selt, aged 62 and 73, wealthy retired shopkeepers, had rented a box for 15 years. Inside it was £150,000 and three 1933 American Gold Double Eagle Coins. Determined to clear their names, the Selts put up the £50,000 needed to launch their own Judicial Review that also focused on the lawfulness of the original warrant.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

Yes, that is the old Pirate logo... during better times for themimage >>

lol yea that too. image
  • Options

<< <i>Better off burying it in your backyard.image >>

• Options
    SDB's are not safe. The Patriot Act that Bush pushed thru pretty much gives the Govt the right to do anything they want in the name of "fighting Terrorism". Eventually our bankrupt government will be coming for your valuables. Count on it. Buried in the ground is probably the safest. This is no longer a free country.
  • Options
    <<Across town, in Camden, some less high-profile but equally infuriated welltodo box-holders did the same. John and Estelle Selt, aged 62 and 73, wealthy retired shopkeepers, had rented a box for 15 years. Inside it was £150,000 and three 1933 American Gold Double Eagle Coins. Determined to clear their names, the Selts put up the £50,000 needed to launch their own Judicial Review that also focused on the lawfulness of the original warrant >>

How did that get in there?image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, that is the old Pirate logo... during better times for themimage >>

lol yea that too. image >>

Reminds me of trips to Forbes Field.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    wow... that's scary. It's what you would expect in a police state. But it seems par for the course over there. It hasn't been reported much in the US press, but the English have seen a steady erosion of their civil liberties over the years. There are cameras everywhere, so much that the government's own minister said the UK had become a "surveillance society." link.

We're not there... yet.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i><<Across town, in Camden, some less high-profile but equally infuriated welltodo box-holders did the same. John and Estelle Selt, aged 62 and 73, wealthy retired shopkeepers, had rented a box for 15 years. Inside it was £150,000 and three 1933 American Gold Double Eagle Coins. Determined to clear their names, the Selts put up the £50,000 needed to launch their own Judicial Review that also focused on the lawfulness of the original warrant >>

How did that get in there?image >>

that's not what the article said.
  • Options
    <<We're not there... yet. >>

Care to make a small wager?

CIA, NSA, DIA, FBI, DEA, Secret Service, US Marshalls, US Customs, US Coast Guard, INS, DSS, Homeland Security, MP, 50 State Ploice Departments, Countless Local LEO's......

Why do we have so many? What are their missions? How are they funded? What powers do they have? Ever heard of the Patriot Act? You know all those GPS satellites orbiting the earth; they do one hell of a lot more than guide you to your Aunt Martha's.

Congress does not give a royal rats a$$ about you or me; they are there to get rich at our expense. Even if it takes every last dime you have hidden in your sock drawer; let alone what you have squirrled away in a SDB!image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wow... that's scary. It's what you would expect in a police state. But it seems par for the course over there. It hasn't been reported much in the US press, but the English have seen a steady erosion of their civil liberties over the years. There are cameras everywhere, so much that the government's own minister said the UK had become a "surveillance society." link.

We're not there... yet. >>

For those who believe that the military and police should be the only ones who would possess firearms/weapons, articles like this should cause you to seriously reconsider your opinion.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every intersection in my town now has a camera.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Safe Deposit Boxes ? Is this what the officer in the background is breaking into ? image
  • Options
    It is amazing the amount of power that we sheeple are willing to give to others.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of coins and "members" (not those of parliament )
    This coin belongs to a fellow board member. Having sent it to PCGS for protection (it's been dipped white and stripped of it's purity and put into a Genuine holder ), I was wondering :

If you were to net grade the coin, what state of wear on the numbering scale is it away from 70 ?
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Reality - Being engaged in War & under terrorist alert,
    we are & have been under Executive Orders that in
    essence render The Constitution & our Rights - usless,
    especially if & when Martial Law is enacted with the
    stroke of the Presidential Pen.

You just may want to Google Executive Orders, FEMA
    & Agenda 21 - for starters.

• Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

Good grief if a SDB isnt a safe place for my 1933 double eagles what is???Obviously forum members who suggested digging a hole for them are kidding but seriously folks whats the answer?? a fortified safe hidden in the home??hmmmmm maybe I have an idea for a booming businessimage
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A safe is no good unless only yourself, wife, or closest friend know that you brought one home in the dead of night. If it gets delivered by a company I'd say there's a great chance a lot of people will find out that you have a safe. Employees of safe companies have been known to sell lists of customers. Things aren't much different if you go around telling outsiders that you own gold or rare coins.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Every intersection in my town now has a camera. >>

Fear not.

Those camera's are used to regulate, count, and plan traffic. I personally know the gentleman that sells these to the various cities. They sell a software package which allows the cities to accumulate data at certain intersections. The camera's he sells do nothing with regard to traffic enforcement laws and are designed as a lond term replacement for those "air hose" traffic counters which are subject to vandalism and damage.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>SDB's are not safe. The Patriot Act that Bush pushed thru pretty much gives the Govt the right to do anything they want in the name of "fighting Terrorism". Eventually our bankrupt government will be coming for your valuables. Count on it. Buried in the ground is probably the safest. This is no longer a free country. >>

Did you guys even bother to read ? Geeesssshhh THIS WAS IN ENGLAND !!
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>SDB's are not safe. The Patriot Act that Bush pushed thru pretty much gives the Govt the right to do anything they want in the name of "fighting Terrorism". Eventually our bankrupt government will be coming for your valuables. Count on it. Buried in the ground is probably the safest. This is no longer a free country. >>

Did you guys even bother to read ? Geeesssshhh THIS WAS IN ENGLAND !! >>

Yes, we did read it, and that is our fear that it will come true in the U.S.A. I have always thought England (United Kingdom) was a democratic republic that safegarded liberties, not abused them.
    Tom

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good grief if a SDB isnt a safe place for my 1933 double eagles what is???Obviously forum members who suggested digging a hole for them are kidding but seriously folks whats the answer?? a fortified safe hidden in the home??hmmmmm maybe I have an idea for a booming businessimage >>

What is so unsafe about a secret backyard spot? If you get broken into, the thiefs are not going to search the house and then take a metal detector to scan the backyard for buried loot. When I try to contemplate the safest places available, my thoughts never venture past my own home and property.

I live in a very safe and low crime area in a very modest and unassuming home. My backyard is safer than fort knox...because the goverment doesn't know about it. What could be safer?

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good grief if a SDB isnt a safe place for my 1933 double eagles what is???Obviously forum members who suggested digging a hole for them are kidding but seriously folks whats the answer?? a fortified safe hidden in the home??hmmmmm maybe I have an idea for a booming businessimage >>

What is so unsafe about a secret backyard spot? If you get broken into, the thiefs are not going to search the house and then take a metal detector to scan the backyard for buried loot. When I try to contemplate the safest places available, my thoughts never venture past my own home and property.

I live in a very safe and low crime area in a very modest and unassuming home. My backyard is safer than fort knox...because the goverment doesn't know about it. What could be safer? >>

Makes it kinda hard to sell something doesn't it?

And hopefullly, you live in a dry climate or have taken adequate precautions against loisture to protect your coins. Water can be a terrible thing.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    <<There was a lot at stake. Never before had the British police been granted a warrant as broad as this. The raids had been made possible under a controversial law, the Proceeds Of Crime Act (POCA), which came into being in 2002 and introduced an array of wide-ranging new powers to seek out and confiscate dirty money - the houses, cars and boats bought by criminals. >>

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Want a clue?

<<Fear not.

Those camera's are used to regulate, count, and plan traffic. I personally know the gentleman that sells these to the various cities. They sell a software package which allows the cities to accumulate data at certain intersections. The camera's he sells do nothing with regard to traffic enforcement laws and are designed as a lond term replacement for those "air hose" traffic counters which are subject to vandalism and damage.>>

That is truly one use, but there are others. Big Brother

I understand they can shut down your vechile as well by turning off the computer controlled electronics package; they just don't have the legislation yet. Boy, all they will need is another NATIOAL CRISIS; real or imagined.

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    We are going downhill. Everyone wants to feel safe and protected from harm, so when congress comes up with these bills (patriot and so on) everyone gets that warm fuzzy feeling until they realize they have just given away their basic rights to a 25 year old police officer or other village idiots.

A little off the subject but i am amazed that a vast majority of people think 5k is a lot of money to have or carry around. 5k last about 15 days worth of bills for me.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    <<A little off the subject but i am amazed that a vast majority of people think 5k is a lot of money to have or carry around. 5k last about 15 days worth of bills for me. >>

Prior to the recession; I wrote a check to the government for 15 to 20K every month for taxes, social security, medicare, workmans comp, unemployment insurance....

That did not include my regular bills, nor my employees salaries or benefits.

• Options
    Obviously forum members who suggested digging a hole for them are kidding but seriously folks whats the answer??

ha ha who was kidding best place to bury coins and guns are underneath the dog house in the back yard.
    it helps to have a big dog and a little junkyard mentality in him to boot. image
  • Options
    When Roosevelt declared the bank holiday all safe deposit holders had to come to their bank and open their boxes in front of government employees.

Ray
  • Options
    A SDB is still one of the safest places to store your valuables, however nothing is certain, oh, of course the death and taxes thing.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is more like home land robbery not right. I can see one box but all of them the biger the bust the more over time they get this is just a smash and grab with a shield. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Calico, is that the old emblem for the Pittsburgh Pirates or is my memory tricking me? >>

Yes, that is the old Pirate logo... during better times for them >>

Way back in the day, even before Barry was still skinny.

• Options
    one, this is a UK issue, two, does anyone expect privacy in public? Paranoia the destroyer....
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Plenty of Americans think we should keep up with Europe.
  • Options

<< <i>Plenty of Americans think we should keep up with Europe. >>

Yep, only because they somehow feel that they would be immune from such shenanigans.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! How many Gold coins were *lost* on that raid?

We will see something like this in the USA, soon. >>

And it shall be called "wealth re-distribution"

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THIS is why I have my own safe , and a real big gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Ok, so is it just me or is the picture of the police riot gear from someplace other than a SDB, bank or police station????

Pics taken with gear on a bed??? Puhleeeze.......
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Obviously forum members who suggested digging a hole for them are kidding but seriously folks whats the answer??

ha ha who was kidding best place to bury coins and guns are underneath the dog house in the back yard.
    it helps to have a big dog and a little junkyard mentality in him to boot. image >>

99% of thieves are opportunists. The home can be a safe place for valuables if the right precautions are taken.

1. Have dead bolts and keep them locked on all exterior doors. Keep windows closed and locked as well.
    2. Do not advertise the fact that you keep valuables in your home.
    3. Keep your valuables locked up in a safe or gun safe or other secure locking device.

These 3 things will deter most thieves from even entering your home.

So many people leave their doors and windows unlocked that thief will simply move on to the next house if they find the doors and windows locked.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    very scary
    ~William

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file