Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Chantilly, VA show

Did anyone here go? Thinking of going in the morning but I can't make up my mind.

Comments

• Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    I'm there if my son's baseball game gets rained out -- about a 45 min drive.

Scott
  • Options
    Dulles Expo?
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Options
    Dulles Expo?

You betcha . . .
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    I was there Friday afternoon. It's worth going if you're building raw 50's, 60's, and 70's baseball sets. Lots and lots of that stuff there. Prices were decent from a dealer called "Uncle Dick's" or something like that. He has tons of raw baseball commons and stars. Also a good dealer (her name is Jill) of raw baseball and football (mostly baseball) across from the concession stand. Very good prices from her. There were a few dealers with graded and ungraded pre-war stuff. Some graded cards - mostly 50's and 60's stars. Saw a Bowman Mantle rookie. Saw some 77-80 rack packs. Once guy was selling '78 topps baseball wax packs for $7 each, although they looked a little rough with worn corners (I don't know much about unopened). I didn't see many graded commons from any era. Lots of autographs. Lots of starter baseball sets from late 60's through mid-70's, although they were priced a little high IMO.

Hope that helps those that are thinking of going tomorrow.
  • Options
    NugenNugen Posts: 107 ✭✭
    I went Friday. The show looked like they had more dealers at this show than the last. Always nice to see Kevin Savage Cards make an appearance.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was there Friday afternoon. It's worth going if you're building raw 50's, 60's, and 70's baseball sets. Lots and lots of that stuff there. Prices were decent from a dealer called "Uncle Dick's" or something like that. He has tons of raw baseball commons and stars. Also a good dealer (her name is Jill) of raw baseball and football (mostly baseball) across from the concession stand. Very good prices from her. There were a few dealers with graded and ungraded pre-war stuff. Some graded cards - mostly 50's and 60's stars. Saw a Bowman Mantle rookie. Saw some 77-80 rack packs. Once guy was selling '78 topps baseball wax packs for $7 each, although they looked a little rough with worn corners (I don't know much about unopened). I didn't see many graded commons from any era. Lots of autographs. Lots of starter baseball sets from late 60's through mid-70's, although they were priced a little high IMO.

Hope that helps those that are thinking of going tomorrow. >>

Uncle Dick and Jill are my 2 favorite dealers to shop at. I am slowly working on a raw 1955 Topps baseball set, buying at this show only. I have bought all the cards so far from Uncle Dick. Jill is great to deal with, she is nice and helpful. Doesn't get annoyed if she digs stuff out for you and don't end up buying it.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Yep, both are great dealers with quality product. I purchased about one-third of both my 75 mini's and regular sets from Jill.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    What time are you leaving?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    I picked these up in Chantilly for my HOF collection today.

The Foxx has back damage but presents nicely.

The Walsh is soon to be a PSA 1 (back damage) and the Chesbro is probably a PSA 2.

Also picked up about 20 mid-grade 1971 FB for my raw set from Uncle Dick.

There seemed to be pretty decent activity and enough vintage to keep me interested for a couple hours.

I'm not an autograph collector but they do a great job bringing guys in. While I was there, I heard them call Jim Kaat, Carlton Fisk, Frank Robinson, and Ozzie Smith -- just to name a few. It's definitely worth the trip if you're within a couple hours.

Scott

• Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What time are you leaving? >>

Left at 8 - you should have called.

More vintage than usual. Crowd was pretty small.

Made a nice size sale to Andy Goldberg and his dad which made the trip worthwhile. Didn't buy anything noteworthy
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    I went to the Chantilly show today.

A lot of vintage stuff for sure. I was looking for modern stuff so I left the show with money in hand.
    Only bought a 2000 Japanese Ichiro Insert card. I probably paid a few dollars more than the going
    price, but I am happy with it.