Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I live in a small town with a low crime rate, but....

ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
...I'd like to think the USPS would still require a signature for a registered, insured package coming back home from PCGS instead of just leaving it in a mailbox that anyone could have stolen from.

Apparently I'm wrong.

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you got it a day early, you should be happy image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, just think, at least it was left today (Halloween) when you might not expect anyone to suddenly show up at your door and take the package.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    That is crazy! If it had been stolen the USPS could not prove you received the package because you didn't sign for it. So I would expect them to pay up on the claim.

Crazy things like that, and a rash of neighborhood mail box robberies, caused me to rent a PO box years ago.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think next time I have them ship to my PO Box.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also live in a small town and USPS did the same thing to me yesterday.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You both need to have a conversation with your local Post Master.
    That is basically a criminal offense. Do not confront the carrier as the tern “Going Postal” has origins in fact.
    Oh and expect to see a new delivery person on your route.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed that small town mail delivery is quite informal. They certainly do not stand on protocol. Perhaps a few claims that they end up paying would help to 'tighten up' the operation. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I live in a small town and my mail man drives up to the house to deliver my mail when we recieve padded envelopes or boxed mail. Very rarely do we ever sign. He may do the signing for us. lol. Our mail is delivered around noon everyday, sometimes when i mail packages close to 5 p.m. they will give me any mail that has already come in or been sorted for the following day.image Plus any new gossip going thru the town seems to be known first by the mail carriers
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I also feel I have a pretty lax mailman. I live somewhat out in the country where someone in their own cars delivers the mail (not a postal employee). He just leaves the slip I am suppose to sign for in my mailbox, with a little post-it note on it asking me to please sign and return to him in a few days.

I also got a PO Box because of the lack of security.
  • Options
    I have a wonderful postlady, she usually delivers around 1:00 pm. If she has a package for me that needs my signature and I'm not home she will finish her route and then come back to my house to see if I'm home yet.

Now if I could only get a decent paperboy!

wally
  • Options
    image Plus any new gossip going thru the town seems to be known first by the mail carriers >>

Yea thats because they are the ones committing the gossip by going after your wives or girlfriends. Oh yes that happens!!
    I have two friends that are postal carriers, and they are happy workers. image
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    What package? image
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can you not sign for registered? That is insane.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    as LindeDad stated above you need to tell your postmaster that a registered package was left without being signed for. if my mailman did that I would go postalimage
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    I live in a smallish town and the business I worked for used to have a post office box. We would get someone else's mail at least once a week in our PO box. I'm not sure if they are more careful when the mail looks more important or not (that is, small boxes, certified & registered). The mail delivery to the house is even worse. We are always getting the neighbor's mail and sometimes it's somewhat important; like a Victoria's Secret package that was once delivered, lol.
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought PCGS only used registered USPS. If so, it never would have been left in your mailbox.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    He doesn't know PCGS. He probably doesn't really expect anyone to be receiving significant valuables in the small town. He doesn't have much if any problem with theft, especially from mailboxes. It fit in your mailbox. I'm sure he thought that he was taking a very small risk to do you a favor. I bet he knows he was at risk since he didn't get you to sign. He may not know how serious the his boss', boss', boss' would have been if it got stolen and the USPS had to pay but he would have found out the hard way. If I were you I'd leave things exactly the way they are. Be happy you don't have to go to the PO and don't tell him how valuable the things are in the package. He sounds very trustworthy, but he might have loose lips. --Jerry
  • Options
    Several years ago, I bought a very expensive watch that cost over $8000. The seller's secretary forgot that my address was a PO box. As you know, UPS didn't deliver to PO Box. Instead of returning the package to sender, someone at UPS ostensibly looked up the county phone book to find the first household that had the same last name as mine and instructed the driver to leave the package at the doorstep. Unfortunately, I lived 2 counties away, and the mistake was not discovered until 5 days later. Lucky for UPS, the driver was able to retrieve the package from the household and forwarded it to me.

A passerby on the street could have picked up the package or the occupants of that household could just simply denied ever seen that package, UPS would have no recourse but to "eat" the loss. How stupid and negligent could that be?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file