Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA problem- Graded Reprints

Hi all, not sure where to start but on ebay currently are a group of High Grade Exhibits graded by PSA that are reprints. Not sure what can be done but I dont want anyone burnt buying these. First off I am a collector of exhibits and a group of them were reprinted in the 1970's, the reprinted cards used different paper stock and the cards were on Grey or White stock not the usual cream/tan stock. You can also tell by the photo quality which is much less than the orginal. Here is a photo of two fakes with an orginal stock (Doby) in the middle -

Here are the auctions with the fakes, I had the seller send me a scan of the backs as I suspected they were fakes, seller has no idea and is trusting PSA's grading of them-

Scan from seller-

http://cgi.ebay.com/1947-1966-EXHIBIT-BB-CARD-HANK-AARON-PSA-NM-MT-8-5_W0QQitemZ200398637049QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Baseball?hash=item2ea8b087f9

http://cgi.ebay.com/1947-1966-EXHIBIT-CARD-PEE-WEE-REESE-PSA-NM-MT-8-5_W0QQitemZ200398642442QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Baseball?hash=item2ea8b09d0a

http://cgi.ebay.com/1947-1966-EXHIBIT-BB-CARD-STAN-MUSIAL-PSA-NM-MT-8_W0QQitemZ200398643207QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Baseball?hash=item2ea8b0a007

http://cgi.ebay.com/1947-1966-EXHIBIT-BB-CARD-WHITEY-FORD-PSA-MINT-9_W0QQitemZ200399323941QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Baseball?hash=item2ea8bb0325

http://cgi.ebay.com/1947-1966-EXHIBIT-BB-CARD-WARREN-SPAHN-PSA-MINT-9_W0QQitemZ200398640044QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Baseball?hash=item2ea8b093ac

I understand that mistakes happen but this is a pretty big one in my eyes and I hope something happens with it.

Scott

Comments

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the edges frosty? Maybe a bait and switch? If not this thread will go poof...
    Mike
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Scott,

You are certainly on to something here! I just checked my entire collection of 1947-66 Exhibits of both Mantle and Yankee Team cards and they all have the cream/tan stock as you call it.

All of mine were purchased by me back in the day; none off the internet. Your assessment is dead on.

I would certainly bring it to the attention of JO. I'm sure he would be more than happy to research this important aspect for future gradings.

Thanks for the thread .... I appreciate your efforts and concern!

PoppaJ

• Options
    dont see your point
    they all look different
  • Options
    This is not a bait and switch, it looks to be a mistake made by the grader. PSA graded reprints. Everybody makes mistakes and I will still collect PSA graded 1947-66 Exhibts I just dont want fakes to be graded.

I am posting this here so they can get with the seller and take care of it before someone buys these and finds out they are not the real thing.

If they want to delete the thread then thats there call but I also posted it over on the net54 boards so I can make sure these dont fall thru the cracks. I am hoping they take care of it and that will be positive PR for PSA.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    that hurts, I would say contact JO, if you win them PSA will buy them back (upontheir inspection) but I would verify that before, I would also strongly request that they take these cards out of the pop report...
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Scott, thanks for your great work discovering these. I have purchased from you and you are indeed knowledgeable with Exhibits. It is however troubling to me how PSA can miss these and i am wondering how many more exist we do not know about yet.

JB
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I picked this up recently as a gift for a young collector, not high grade, but in decent shape with a pin hole...how does it look?

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Are we sure that is not a fake Larry Doby auto and some one peeled the original Larry Doby signature and put it on a base card and sold it to someone at a show in Stl. and not on the internet. I think the sticker auto looks way too dull and the embedded sticker would be hard to peel..................oh wait, wrong thread. This thread is legit with evidence. Nice work smtjoy.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    what color is the background on the yankees card?
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    fakes or reprinted??

PSA probably just mislabeled them because they do grade the reprints...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    how many were reprinted (# of players, etc) I would love to collect the reprint set if it was affordable.