Home Sports Talk
Options

PUJOLS TO REMAIN A CARDINAL!!!

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that Cardinals' first baseman Albert Pujols wants to remain with the team for the rest of his career. "The fans know and the Cardinals know that I want to be a Cardinal for my whole career," Pujols said. "I love this city."

Pujols wanted to clarify remarks he made to a Dominican radio station a few weeks ago in which he said he was in no hurry to sign an extension with the team. Pujols said he still has two years left on his deal, and he wants the team to focus on signing their free agents, specifically Matt Holliday. That sound you just heard was the collective exhale of everyone in the city of St. Louis.
October 29, 2009
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that Cardina;s' first baseman Albert Pujols has been voted the NL Most Outstanding Player by the MLB Players Association. Pujols hit .327 with 47 homers and 135 RBI for the Cards this season.

In other news, the sky is blue and the world is round. Pujols figures to walk away with any award pertaining to being the most outstanding player in his league, so it's good to see the MLBPA got it right. Expect another MVP award to be up on his mantle in a few weeks as well.

i couldnt see it any other way....Stan the Man played for only one team also...22 seasons, a mark i heard Pujols wanted to MATCH and not beat!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>22 seasons, a mark i heard Pujols wanted to MATCH and not beat! >>

So he is going to play until he is 54?
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Why the excitement? "PUJOLS TO REMAIN A CARDINAL!!!"...Yes, for the next two years. He may or may not sign an extension, but he probably will. Still, when a player says he wants to remain with a team his whole life, that's often a good indication that he's walking.
    Brett
  • Options
    check your shorts for stains please.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I think Johnny Damon said that he wanted to finish his playing days as a Red Sox player, but that didn't work out.

It's the PC thing to say that you want to keep playing for the team you are currently on. You couldn't come right out and say "I want to walk as soon as I can" without the whole baseball world accusing you of quitting on your team, being disloyal to your teammates and the fans, and chasing the almighty $$$$.

That said, I don't doubt that Albert is telling the truth, but saying you want to be a Cardinal forever is a whole lot different than signing a contract and making it official.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Agreed that he may have intentions of wanting to stay a Cardinal...but when the agent and money is involved, you could see Pujols in a new uniform 3 years from now. Anyone who wants to look good in the public eye is not going to say they will be looking to go to another team especially with 2 season to go. For the Cardinals, I hope Pujols stay and good chances he will.
  • Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭

<< <i>The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that Cardinals' first baseman Albert Pujols wants to remain with the team for the rest of his career. "The fans know and the Cardinals know that I want to be a Cardinal for my whole career," Pujols said. "I love this city." >>

Thank God.

Go Cubs.image
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea...and they plan on renaming the city Saint Pujols.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't celebrate just yet. Pujols does seem to be more genuine than most professional athletes, but free agents in-waiting spout these platitudes all the time. This is the Show-Me State, man. I'll believe it when I see it.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't celebrate just yet. Pujols does seem to be more genuine than most professional athletes, but free agents in-waiting spout these platitudes all the time. This is the Show-Me State, man. I'll believe it when I see it. >>

im surprised at your pessimism...surely you understand Pujols is unlike any other athlete, and he is interwoven in that community more than most athletes in their HOMETOWNS....

i can say with 100% confidence that he will be a cardina for life...NO DOUBT......(i hope to bring this thread back up in 2 years)

(you all know that he is VERY close with The Stan the Man (not our STM)
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wouldn't celebrate just yet. Pujols does seem to be more genuine than most professional athletes, but free agents in-waiting spout these platitudes all the time. This is the Show-Me State, man. I'll believe it when I see it. >>

im surprised at your pessimism...surely you understand Pujols is unlike any other athlete, and he is interwoven in that community more than most athletes in their HOMETOWNS....

i can say with 100% confidence that he will be a cardina for life...NO DOUBT......(i hope to bring this thread back up in 2 years)

(you all know that he is VERY close with The Stan the Man (not our STM) >>

I've seen plenty of players who said they would never play anywhere else do that very thing as quickly as possible. The opposite is rare. BUT I remember Chris Chelios saying he hated Detroit (Red Wings) and the city and going off about never playing here. He then got traded here and loved it. It's good that Pujols is involved in the community there. But as some mentioned, players do this all the time and it's not always a good sign. A lot of guys say this before they ask for the moon, anticipating the team wont give in. Then it can seem like it's the teams fault the guy left and not his for asking for too much.
  • Options

Does this mean that he'll start signing all of his own autos?
  • Options
    money changes everything.

maybe Pujols will be born again (again) and discover that Jesus actually lives in New York and has a fatter wallet.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Not pessimism, just realism on my part. I do think Pujols is not the typical pro athlete and that St. Louis is not the typical baseball city, but it's just not realistic for us to expect him to stay here for much less than he'd command elsewhere, especially if - and I think this is the critical issue - he perceives that the franchise isn't serious about winning. Landing DeRosa and Holliday went a long way to dispel that notion, which a lot of fans held, but who knows if we can resign even one of those guys or be as aggressive in the free-agent market as the teams that would likely court Pujols.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    There was an interview with Albert on the local news here in St. Louis this week that irks me for some reason.

To know why this bothers me you have to know that I am 120% against performance enhancing drugs of any kind and more specifically anything they started using after say 1990 when all kinds of records started falling. I realize some of the records may have fallen due to the watering down of talent in the majors today compared to pre-expansion. Sure, the playes are bigger and the fences have been moved in; that also makes it much easier for hitters today.

So... everyone knows Mark McGwire will be the Cards new hitting instructor next year and there will be a "phone" news conference shortly after the World Series. (Why Mark can't, or won't, face live interviewers at a news conference is a topic for another thread.)

Anyway.... Albert was questioned on McGwire and I'm sorry but I don't remember the exact question but Albert starts defending McGwire's usage of PEDs. Why does Albert feel it necessary to defend Big Mac? Unfortunately, I feel like Albert is, and has been for years--this isn't the first time, putting out his own form of defense for if/when he is caught using PEDs. I hope to God Albert has never used them but it is always in your mind and his defense of (suspected) users doesn't easily make your fears go away...

I've been a Cardinals fan all my life and it's great that we have such a player..... (More later)

Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    So who will sign his contract?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>money changes everything.

maybe Pujols will be born again (again) and discover that Jesus actually lives in New York and has a fatter wallet. >>

you are a real jerk vintagecardlover i know that and i want to make sure this board knows that..YOUR A REAL JERK
    not to mention your an ALT of a bigger JERK

and schwartz, were you crying in your oatmeal that your phils got beat by AROID, so you had to find a Pujols thread to troll?
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

I finally figured out what this reminds me of... my infatuation with my sports hereos when I was a kid. I really thought Garvey would be a Dodger forever too. Broke my little heart when he left. Then when "Mr. Clean" got two gals pregnant the same year the bubble really popped. I hope your little infatuation has a happier ending for you.
  • Options

<< <i>im surprised at your pessimism...surely you understand Pujols is unlike any other athlete, and he is interwoven in that community more than most athletes in their HOMETOWNS....

I finally figured out what this reminds me of... my infatuation with my sports hereos when I was a kid. I really thought Garvey would be a Dodger forever too. Broke my little heart when he left. Then when "Mr. Clean" got two gals pregnant the same year the bubble really popped. I hope your little infatuation has a happier ending for you. >>

I guess we now know why you are so bitter towards people who are fans of their favorite player/s.. Sorry events in your childhood scarred you for life.

• Options
    I guess we now know why you are so bitter towards people who are fans of their favorite player/s.. Sorry events in your childhood scarred you for life.

That's funny. Plus, I think that's the first post you have ever made where you didn't get defensive and play victim. Nice job. Really, that was funny.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    YIPPEE!!!!!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Would make a nice story if Pujols could remain a card for life but in the end he is human so will likely go for a big Yankee check eventually!
  • Options
    in the end he is human so will likely go for a big Yankee check eventually!

Or Dodger's!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would make a nice story if Pujols could remain a card for life but in the end he is human so will likely go for a big Yankee check eventually! >>

The Yankees wouldn't think of raiding and pillaging other team's star players now would they?