Home Precious Metals
Options

Picked up some neat Silver bullion today

I went to the local B&M today and asked if they had any unusual items.
The guy who usually sets aside the good stuff for me said he didn't have any so I looked in the counter and asked to look in the junk silver box where I snatched 1 oz. rounds that resembled a $10 Indian, Bust Dollar with subtle reddish brown toning, Lincoln wheat cent with incredible bluish green and violet toning on the front at 45 cents over spot.
Then I saw a couple of Silver Eagles in flips and asked how much, he said 80 cents over spot since they weren't BU, however when I looked at them I didn't see an friction or bagmarks so I bought them. One was a 1999 and the other was a 2001.
I also bought 4 Engelhard Prospectors from 1982 for 80 cents over spot.
I was ready to leave when another guy came back from lunch and said he had something I might be interested in, he goes in the back and pulls out 2-2oz. Argor S.A. Chiasso Silver bars and said they would sell them at 45 cents over spot!!! This made the trip worthwhile.image

Comments

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    pretty good prices compared to regular folks trying to acquire silver!
  • Options
    Hello,

My local Brick and mortar sells silver rounds for spot +$2 so I wish I was getting the deals you are....
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Options

<< <i>pretty good prices compared to regular folks trying to acquire silver! >>

Well buying Silver on e-bay is a ripoff, find a local dealer and if you spend enough cash he will start giving you deals.
    Also APMEX has bullion priced decently as I purchased a fair amount from them back when Silver was $10-12 this spring, I didn't buy Eagles and Maples so the generic rounds were priced at 79-89 cents over instead of $5-6 over.
  • Options

<< <i>Hello,

My local Brick and mortar sells silver rounds for spot +$2 so I wish I was getting the deals you are.... >>

Well if you're talking BU Eagles and Maples that isn't a bad price at all, however if you're talking generics that is to much over spot unless Silver was around $9-10.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    2 over spot for generic would be waaaaaaaaaaayy too much. You should consider buying online if thats the case.

Generic is 1 over spot so its decent.
    Eagles are 1.75 over spot which is ok as well.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    I forgot to add that I also bought 2 proof buffalo 1 oz. coins that were aprox. 4" in diameter!!! Kinda like the Ducat Gold coins that are so big and thin, they are encapsulated in big plastic holders one is dated 2002 and the other is dated 2003. I paid 45 cents over spot for them.
  • Options

<< <i>

Well buying Silver on e-bay is a ripoff, find a local dealer and if you spend enough cash he will start giving you deals.
    Also APMEX has bullion priced decently as I purchased a fair amount from them back when Silver was $10-12 this spring, I didn't buy Eagles and Maples so the generic rounds were priced at 79-89 cents over instead of $5-6 over. >>

I think ebay can be costly to the unwary and uninitiated but it is also an open marketplace where silver can be purchased for excellent prices and sometimes even under spot prices.
    With the advent of the free shipping i think silver bullion is the one area where decent deals can be had.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Also APMEX has bullion priced decently as I purchased a fair amount from them back when Silver was $10-12 this spring, I didn't buy Eagles and Maples so the generic rounds were priced at 79-89 cents over instead of $5-6 over. >>

I think ebay can be costly to the unwary and uninitiated but it is also an open marketplace where silver can be purchased for excellent prices and sometimes even under spot prices.
    With the advent of the free shipping i think silver bullion is the one area where decent deals can be had. >>

I'm sure there are deals to be had but as you said certain items people are paying way to much money for. I have bought numerous Argor Chiasso bars of various sizes at an average of 50 cents over spot while on e-bay these sell for 2-3 times melt. Also I've bought numerous 1,5 and 10 gram bars mostly JM and Pamp for 50 cents over spot and these bring huge premiums on e-bay.
    I know there are times when they run promotions where you get Silver at of below spot and that's great.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that the dealer had 5 kilo Panda's from 2000 that he said he'd sell to me for $700 each which is what a dealer offered to pay him but he'd have to ship them out.
    I passed even though they told me there were kilo Panda's on e-bay listed at over $1,000 some as high as $1,300 as I don't like paying that much over spot for Silver. Now if I knew i could sell them over $1,000 each I would've bought all 5 and pawned them off on e-bay even though it seems kind of underhanded to soak people like that.
    I have got to wonder why do kilo Panda's sell for so much over spot, are they that rare or are people just that stupid???
  • Options
    I know Australian bullion has limited mintages but i think stupidity comes into play often as well , for example currently on ebay somebody is selling 1oz silver rounds in the form of 1929 indian head pieces , much like the quarter eagle of old.
    Bottem line is its an unknown mintage and 1oz silver , why people are consistently paying well over $50 is a mystery.Ive watched 3 auctions in the last 24 hours all ended at near $60.
  • Options

<< <i>I know Australian bullion has limited mintages but i think stupidity comes into play often as well , for example currently on ebay somebody is selling 1oz silver rounds in the form of 1929 indian head pieces , much like the quarter eagle of old.
    Bottem line is its an unknown mintage and 1oz silver , why people are consistently paying well over $50 is a mystery.Ive watched 3 auctions in the last 24 hours all ended at near $60. >>

Buyer beware.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know Australian bullion has limited mintages but i think stupidity comes into play often as well , for example currently on ebay somebody is selling 1oz silver rounds in the form of 1929 indian head pieces , much like the quarter eagle of old.
    Bottem line is its an unknown mintage and 1oz silver , why people are consistently paying well over $50 is a mystery.Ive watched 3 auctions in the last 24 hours all ended at near $60. >>

Yea, I know I'm stupid but HERE'S a round that I paid WAAAAAY over spot for . . .

. . . Had to have it though ! ! !

BTW, Game was played Christmas Day 1987 Gators LOST to UCLA 20-16. image

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    That wasnt too bad , i could see going a few bucks over spot for one i really wanted and regularly do for Britanias,Oz bullion and at times Maples (privy) but theres a point where it is just plain absurd , i wish now id saved those other auctions id watched but this one is active and will suffice silly

If the past 48 hours are anything to go by it will likely end over the $50 mark.