Home Precious Metals
Options

Unexpected Bank Find **UPDATE** with Pic

I pick up 2 boxes of halves each week from my bank and today when I went in one of the tellers asked why I get them. I told him for the silver and he said he has a box of "rare" coins and silver bars that passed to him when his grandfather died and he is looking to sell. I told him I would give him spot price for the silver. He said that he has 58 Engelhard 1 oz. bars. I told him I would look at the coins and help sell them if I do not want them but will take all the silver off his hands.
"If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt

Comments

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Great score! My teller's just look at me like I'm nuts when I ask them to get or save me the half dollars!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    very cool, being at the right place at the right time! image

I hope to find some awesome deals soon!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Be wary of most tellers asking what you're looking for when you get coins from the bank. They will soon learn that something concerning the coins must be more valuable than just the coins. They will then undercut you when they find out THEY can make money also. Stupid educated bank tellers.........

Maybe this time it worked out well for you with the silver bars.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    buying silver bars just like a B&M dealer is somehow more satisfying then paying retail prices eh? image
  • Options

<< <i> They will soon learn that something concerning the coins must be more valuable than just the coins. >>

Yeah, like at one bank I frequent where I once asked the teller for a roll of half-dollars - but he took the time and effort to look at each one of them himself first!
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Dang! At least my tellers disappeared around the corner to sort through them.

• Options
    I have given the tellers plenty of goodies (lunch, wine, chocolate, etc.) and seems to keep them happy. In fact one teller who is now a branch manager with another branch called me and said he had 5 rolls of JFK's. 3 were all 40% and the other 2 were all BU 64's.
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Be wary of most tellers asking what you're looking for when you get coins from the bank. They will soon learn that something concerning the coins must be more valuable than just the coins. They will then undercut you when they find out THEY can make money also. Stupid educated bank tellers.........

Maybe this time it worked out well for you with the silver bars. >>

not necessarily stupid educated bank tellers...how about lazy, ignorant, dumb, AMERICAN PUBLICimage
  • Options
    Got the call today that he has the 1 oz Engelhard Bars and is ready to sell so I will pick them up tonight. They were his grandfathers so hopefully they will be old ones. Is there any way to tell what year they were poured??
  • Options
    I have not seen any old poured 1 oz engelhards so if you get any, pls post pictures!

Post pictures of what you get so we can see and determine how old they might be.

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my haul from yesterday's search of $500 worth.
  • Options
    slim picking eh meltdown???

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>slim picking eh meltdown??? >>

Yep... still it's fun to look. Cheap entertainment...
    I go through a box of $500 a week. My bank manager just keeps ordering them for me.
    I've probably found 100 or so silver halves in the last year. Not bad for 50 cents each.
  • Options

<< <i>I have not seen any old poured 1 oz engelhards so if you get any, pls post pictures!

Post pictures of what you get so we can see and determine how old they might be. >>

Will do, I'll get some up tonight
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>slim picking eh meltdown??? >>

Yep... still it's fun to look. Cheap entertainment...
    I go through a box of $500 a week. My bank manager just keeps ordering them for me.
    I've probably found 100 or so silver halves in the last year. Not bad for 50 cents each. >>

Does he get pissed when you bring them back? Or no big deal for them?
  • Options
    thats what I was thinking bstat, some places get PISSED when you bring in that much change.

• Options
    Picked them up and he had 52 total bars. The box still has the receipt dated June 11th, 1980. They were bought for $20.00 a piece 29 years ago at a coin shop in New Jersey (I paid him closing spot as of today) along with 3 Krugerrands at $640.00 a piece. Looks like a typical 1 oz bar as you can see.

• Options
    beautiful! He had gold krugerrands, what size? 1 oz for 640 or ????

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    bought for 20 dollars 20 years ago and sold for less then he paid
    today :-|

metals.. sometimes they are great... other times they do so poorly
    over time it is almost ridiculous.
  • Options

<< <i>beautiful! He had krugerrands, what size? 1 oz for 640 or ???? >>

No I wish he had them for $640.00! The original receipt from 1980 had listed that his Grandfather also bought (3) 1 oz Krugerrands for $640.00 a piece. And the Silver bars were sold to him at $20 per bar. So after 20 years the Gold almost doubled and the silver lost value. I paid $17.39 per bar.
  • Options
    keepdachange, OOOOHH I get it lol. Yeah its interesting, gold has gone up and that silver has had for 29 years didn't even gain in value, it dropped while gold outperformed it!

However, if he bought silver a year later, it would have been a great investment thing as the silver market went down image

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>bought for 20 dollars 20 years ago and sold for less then he paid
    today :-|

metals.. sometimes they are great... other times they do so poorly
    over time it is almost ridiculous. >>

Sort of like the stock market

Always depends on your trading frame.....................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......